Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Status Passes - what are they and how to use them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
A status pass does not confer your status to the recipient.
So, for example, if you are Super Elite, your beneficiary does not get or have Super Elite privileges. They do not get any kind of Star Alliance Gold privileges.

What is a status pass?
A status pass (sometimes abbreviated as "STPA") grants passengers many of the benefits of elite status (detailed below). One status pass is applied to a booking and extends benefits to all passengers (up to 9), on all flights, on that booking.

The benefits of the STPA don't exactly correspond to any elite tier.

The status pass must be applied before travel commences. It cannot be applied after any flights have been taken. It is unclear whether there is a deadline to apply the pass. A pass can be removed from a booking up to 6 hours before travel commences.

What does a status pass get you?
  • Priority check-in
  • Free checked bags (3 per passenger), with priority baggage handling
  • Priority security
  • Access to Maple Leaf Lounges ("MLL", including international lounges) and Cafés, prior to your departing flight
  • Priority boarding (Zone 2)
  • Priority standby
  • Unpublished benefit: the STPA seems to confer eUp priority similar to 50K status
  • More details in the FAQ here

What DOESN'T a status pass get you?
  • Access to Signature Suites
  • Access to lounges not operated by AC
  • Free seat selection
  • MLL guesting privileges
  • E50K status (some of the status pass benefits are similar, but are certainly not comprehensively equivalent to E50K)
  • *G status

How does a status pass get added to a reservation?
The pass must be applied by the person with elite status (E50K, E75K, Super Elite). It can be done through the AC app or via the AC website.

In order to apply the pass, you will need the PNR (booking reference) and last name of any of the passengers on the PNR.

How do I know if the Status Pass actually was added? How can the PAX prove to airport staff that they have one?
The person granting the pass should see the pass applied in their Benefits section under Status Pass. Look at sent passes.

cowtool PNR lookup will indicate "A status pass has been applied" for reservations where it has been successfully applied.

The PAX should have "STPA" on their boarding pass.

Are status passes different depending on the status of the person giving the pass?
No. All status passes are the same. Whether the pass was given by an 50K or a Super Elite is irrelevant.

My status pass expires December 31 2023. What does that mean?
The status pass must be applied before the expiry date. The actual travel can take place any time in the future.

Do they work for award and cash bookings?
They can be applied to both.

Print Wikipost

Status Passes - what are they and how to use them?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I know the STPA is good for the entire trip (or was it itinerary?), but does anyone have any news on using it at an MLL with an arriving BP?
If it's itinerary, does that mean both directions? You're asked to enter the booking number so it's attachedto the PNR.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Academic
If it's itinerary, does that mean both directions? You're asked to enter the booking number so it's attachedto the PNR.
I was too lazy to double check when I posted, but now having just looked, yes, it's for the entire PNR (all directions).
Old Sep 1, 2021, 2:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Since it's kinda like E50K for a trip, it's too bad that the status pass doesn't include priority seat selection.
50K doesn't get any preferred seat selection on TG fares.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 12:22 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I know it has been discussed above that a status pass has to be applied before the outbound of a round trip booking, but what's the deadline to add it before travel commences?

Obviously there's a point some time after the flight closes where the benefits are no longer useful, but does it need to be applied before check-in opens or anything like that?
Old Sep 2, 2021, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I know it has been discussed above that a status pass has to be applied before the outbound of a round trip booking, but what's the deadline to add it before travel commences?

Obviously there's a point some time after the flight closes where the benefits are no longer useful, but does it need to be applied before check-in opens or anything like that?
You have to remove it 6 hours before departure, so I'm not even willing to test this out on a dummy booking
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 11:09 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
I know the STPA is good for the entire trip (or was it itinerary?), but does anyone have any news on using it at an MLL with an arriving BP?
I can confirm this. My STPA recipient was successfully able to access the DOM MLL on arrival (after coaching her through nonetheless!)
Old Sep 8, 2021, 6:52 am

Just had family finish their travels using the status pass. Baggage worked perfectly, added it at OLCI and it worked smoothly at the airport. Priority check-in worked fine and priority security gate at YYZ opened without a hitch. Boarding passes printed with Zone 2 boarding.

Only issue was lounge access. The boarding pass showed the lounge symbol but upon scanning the BP at YYZ, the system rejected entry. The lounge dragon did stuff on their computer to make it work, but they did ask my family about how they're getting access to the lounge (status pass). Didn't try for inbound access, but seems like that'll work too.
Jebby_ca likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Friends traveling on a status pass internationally - no issues at priority check-in in YOW, boarding passes printed with zone 2 and lounge access in YYZ. No-go for international MLL upon scanning BP with lounge invitation written on it. Was asking them what their status is and how they got the lounge access. Lounge agent eventually let them in…let’s see what happens on their return.
vernonc likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM; BNV*T; GHA*Black; MP*Silver
Complimentary preferred seat selection?

If it’s a Super Elite providing the Status Pass, does it include complimentary priority seat selection?
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by bluejeans
If it’s a Super Elite providing the Status Pass, does it include complimentary priority seat selection?
All Status Passes are the same, regardless of the status of the sponsor, so no.

Edit: It IS pretty odd that an SE would only get 2 status passes, same as a 50K, but a 75K would get 3 of them.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:47 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by bluejeans
No - the recipients of my status pass didn't get any free seat selection whatsoever. It still went by the fare family that they booked.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dave510
All Status Passes are the same, regardless of the status of the sponsor, so no.

Edit: It IS pretty odd that an SE would only get 2 status passes, same as a 50K, but a 75K would get 3 of them.
It's a typo. SEs get 4.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:53 pm

It's a typo. SEs get 4.
The page contradicts itself.

As a Super Elite member you automatically receive two status passes to use. You can also receive an additional four passes when you select your annual benefits for the year.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 4:38 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I've made a wiki and created a FAQ to hopefully make it easier to find the key information on STPAs.
yyznomad, canadiancow and Dave510 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 5:31 pm

I hadn't noticed this before, but I found the text amusing. Especially since she was in a middle Y seat.

Jebby_ca, yyznomad and fbrdky like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.