Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Status Passes - what are they and how to use them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
A status pass does not confer your status to the recipient.
So, for example, if you are Super Elite, your beneficiary does not get or have Super Elite privileges. They do not get any kind of Star Alliance Gold privileges.

What is a status pass?
A status pass (sometimes abbreviated as "STPA") grants passengers many of the benefits of elite status (detailed below). One status pass is applied to a booking and extends benefits to all passengers (up to 9), on all flights, on that booking.

The benefits of the STPA don't exactly correspond to any elite tier.

The status pass must be applied before travel commences. It cannot be applied after any flights have been taken. It is unclear whether there is a deadline to apply the pass. A pass can be removed from a booking up to 6 hours before travel commences.

What does a status pass get you?
  • Priority check-in
  • Free checked bags (3 per passenger), with priority baggage handling
  • Priority security
  • Access to Maple Leaf Lounges ("MLL", including international lounges) and Cafés, prior to your departing flight
  • Priority boarding (Zone 2)
  • Priority standby
  • Unpublished benefit: the STPA seems to confer eUp priority similar to 50K status
  • More details in the FAQ here

What DOESN'T a status pass get you?
  • Access to Signature Suites
  • Access to lounges not operated by AC
  • Free seat selection
  • MLL guesting privileges
  • E50K status (some of the status pass benefits are similar, but are certainly not comprehensively equivalent to E50K)
  • *G status

How does a status pass get added to a reservation?
The pass must be applied by the person with elite status (E50K, E75K, Super Elite). It can be done through the AC app or via the AC website.

In order to apply the pass, you will need the PNR (booking reference) and last name of any of the passengers on the PNR.

How do I know if the Status Pass actually was added? How can the PAX prove to airport staff that they have one?
The person granting the pass should see the pass applied in their Benefits section under Status Pass. Look at sent passes.

cowtool PNR lookup will indicate "A status pass has been applied" for reservations where it has been successfully applied.

The PAX should have "STPA" on their boarding pass.

Are status passes different depending on the status of the person giving the pass?
No. All status passes are the same. Whether the pass was given by an 50K or a Super Elite is irrelevant.

My status pass expires December 31 2023. What does that mean?
The status pass must be applied before the expiry date. The actual travel can take place any time in the future.

Do they work for award and cash bookings?
They can be applied to both.

Print Wikipost

Status Passes - what are they and how to use them?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:41 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I thought the status pass was limited to one passenger? I thought status pass was valid for only 1 day?
Do the status pass T and C's state that status pass applies to i passenger or I pnr/reservation?
If the latter, it would apply to return flights as well as the outgoing flights?
Dude, it's not even buried in the T&Cs, it's right up front in the description of the status pass in the list of benefits.

Choose Status Pass as a Select Benefit and treat someone to Elite Status for their entire journey. Anyone with Aeroplan 50K Status or higher can choose these passes.
They can even share the love – the premium travel services they get with a status pass extend to up to 9 people on their reservation
(emphasis mine)

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...atus_pass_anch
Old Mar 31, 2021, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
In spite of the hiccups applying the status pass to my friend’s reservation, I’m happy to report that everything has gone smoothly since!

When I looked at her booking online, fireworks went off announcing that she had been granted a status pass. She was able to do online check-in and request 2 checked bags at no charge. (I was worried that this would have to be done at the airport.) She also had no issues accessing the MLL in YYZ.

So, an excellent benefit with a positive outcome. Very happy that AC offered me this trial pass.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:49 am

@margarita girl, she must feel like she's on cloud 9. That's awesome.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mileageking
@margarita girl, she must feel like she's on cloud 9. That's awesome.
She is moving from ON to AB, so it was definitely appreciated. Just a shame that she used the lounge at 07:30. Oh, and it’s a one way ticket.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
She is moving from ON to AB, so it was definitely appreciated. Just a shame that she used the lounge at 07:30. Oh, and it’s a one way ticket.
Well at least she got a tease of the YYZ domestic. Happy for her.
Old May 3, 2021, 7:27 pm
zam

I want to gift a Status pass to my nominee that I e-upgraded for a flight tomorrow, so she can have 3 bags. The system doesn't allow it because she is already traveling business class.
Has anyone dealt with this situation? Will the Aeroplan desk/AC/Concierge force it through?
Old May 3, 2021, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think it's more likely that they'll be permitted 3 bags on the upgrade. But I'd suggest checking in at a kiosk.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I'm sad this does not offer seat selection, it was the one I was looking for.
My family is flying to be with me after school and while they will get bags, priority blabla, the lounge won't be open and they don't get seat selection.

TBH though I doubt the flight will be full going to the US end of June.
Old May 28, 2021, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
I used one of my status passes for a co-worker who was flying YYZ-LAX for a wedding. Cousin booked on her on United ticket stock (016) but flight was on AC metal and operated. After numerous phone calls and escalations, it was doable given T&Cs state any ticket stock and has to be operated by AC.

Saved her roughly $400 for her trip in checked baggage fees. Thanks to expert7700 for passing on the savings to the FOTSGs!!
Old Jun 29, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
Today I tried to use a status pass for my son.
ticket was revenue flight pass
error , info entered incorrect
Called super elite desk who told me to call aerolan
45 min later after talking to help desk told that it is Air Canada problem and transferred me back to Air Canada
now on hold with them
no joy after 30 min

Last edited by traacs; Jun 29, 2021 at 11:18 am
Old Jun 29, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by traacs
Today I tried to use a status pass for my son.
ticket was revenue flight pass
error , info entered incorrect
Called super elite desk who told me to call aerolan
45 min later after talking to help desk told that it is Air Canada problem and transferred me back to Air Canada
now on hold with them
no joy after 30 min
I had the same issues but my friend booked a UA ticket on a AC codeshare/metal flight.
If it is a redemption booking you call Aeroplan for them to apply status pass. If it is a revenue ticket on AC metal (even code shares and ticketed by another *A carrier) you call Air Canada. I had to do a few HUCAs before an agent was able to help out and go the "extra" mile and sort it out. Most agents were clueless on the Status Pass benefit.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 11:37 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
So, with @traacs's experience, looks like we're only at 1/4 of these that actually worked smoothly.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Might be time to start a wiki to keep track of success and failures, highlighting the failures of this product and incompetence.

or not.

i do plan to apply these to FOTSG relative flights later this year, so it doesn't seem to bode well for them based on this thread.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 5:57 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Plat
I applied a status pass the my BF’s booking. When I looked up his booking, I got the little fireworks thingy with congratulations that he got a status pass. Look all good to go.

Just dropped him off at YVR and had the worst check in experience with the agent telling us she doesn’t know what a status pass is. Final straw was her looking at his, quite humble, carry on with a lovely threat that she will see about this at boarding.

I am surprised she had never heard of the status pass concept before. Are agents not familiar with Aeroplan status benefits?
Old Jul 10, 2021, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by bubbelbine
I applied a status pass the my BF’s booking. When I looked up his booking, I got the little fireworks thingy with congratulations that he got a status pass. Look all good to go.

Just dropped him off at YVR and had the worst check in experience with the agent telling us she doesn’t know what a status pass is. Final straw was her looking at his, quite humble, carry on with a lovely threat that she will see about this at boarding.

I am surprised she had never heard of the status pass concept before. Are agents not familiar with Aeroplan status benefits?
@bubbelbine

My experience is there are some AC employees in various customer-facing areas who are not familiar with some things. (and there are a couple of threads on AC FT with examples of this)

Your experience could be one of those related to people who don't know something so they deflect. It doesn't matter that the agent said she never heard of a status pass. What maters is she could have asked another agent, or called a supervisor or help desk. Instead of taking the opportunity to help a customer who had presented a pass that entitled him to service benefits, it seems she chose to deflect her ignorance and focus on your BF and for good measure, and issue a threat about his carry-on and boarding.

I can sometimes forgive people who are ignorant, if they are gracious enough to admit they don't know something and make an effort to learn, or in this case, help a customer. I hate bullies. AC has a few GAs who fit the bill, I've watched them in action. It ain't pretty.

I hope your BF can enjoy his trip, and I am not sure if there is anything you can do now, after the fact and not having found someone else at YVR to talk to.

As is often recommend on AC FT, it's helpful sometimes to carry a paper version of the rules and benefits as well as have the web page link handy to show.

AC page https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../benefits.html

Status pass

Last edited by 24left; Jul 10, 2021 at 6:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.