Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2023 Aeroplan Elite Status Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 9, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
2023 Benefits Update

There are very few changes to the program for 2023, except at the 35K level; see the first few posts of the thread for details.

For information on 2022 benefits, please see this thread.

Key updates:
  • Several changes to 35K
    • No more MLL access (from June 1)
    • Additional eUps for Select Privilege
    • Priority baggage handling (AC flights only)
    • Expanded Priority Rewards
  • 50K and up get access to Virgin Australia lounges
  • December 15 deadline to be approved for a Premium CC to enjoy rollover benefits

Ongoing Benefits With Dedicated Threads

Many benefits stay fairly consistent from year to year and have dedicated threads with detailed information. For questions and information on these topics, please visit these threads rather than posting here:
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:09 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

Several changes coming, detailed on this page.

Key updates:
  • Several changes to 35K
    • No more MLL access
  • 50K and up get access to VA lounges
  • December 15 deadline to be approved for a Premium CC to enjoy rollover benefits (I don't think they had publicly disclosed this in the past)
ChrisA330 and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Several changes coming, detailed on this page.

Key updates:
  • Several changes to 35K
    • No more MLL access
  • 50K and up get access to VA lounges
  • December 15 deadline to be approved for a Premium CC to enjoy rollover benefits (I don't think they had publicly disclosed this in the past)
Thought it was Virgin Atlantic lounges and wondered why.

More 35K will sign up for credit cards so the end results might be the same.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
On doubled Priority Rewards: "You will start to see these bonus Priority Rewards being added to your account in November."

Added for when the page text is enhanced to read "in February."
SPG_Fan likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
As of June 1, 2023, Aeroplan 35K members will no longer have complimentary access to Maple Leaf Lounges™ as part of their Aeroplan 35K benefits. As of that date, they can continue to access Maple Leaf Lounges with one of the two (2) Maple Leaf Lounge One-Time Guest Passes that also come with this status, the purchase of a Business Class fare, or with an eligible Aeroplan credit card.
So just to make sure I got this right - I can get E35K from actually flying and not get access to MLL or I can get a credit card and not fly at all with AC but get MLL access?
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dr_torch
So just to make sure I got this right - I can get E35K from actually flying and not get access to MLL or I can get a credit card and not fly at all with AC but get MLL access?
Yes. The CC access privileges aren't tied to status. Someone can be a total FOTSG and get access to the MLL on both of their annual flights using their eligible credit card.
canadiancow and YOWgary like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:50 am

sounds like it... question is, which credit cards get you the MLL lounge access?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pookguy88
sounds like it... question is, which credit cards get you the MLL lounge access?
Detailed in the wiki in this thread: AC Lounge Access - physical locations and rules (2022 onwards)
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Not very surprising. If you do not fly at all, you are not using MLLs but still generating revenues for the airlines by allowing them to sell more points. It could be more profitable to the airlines than selling more economy tickets.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Before the CC fake status was almost like a 30k (in between 25k and 35k) - now the difference is MLL access vs eUpgrades only...I think the CC status is more valuable personally.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
It is interesting to see "the purchase of a Business Class fare", as MLL access off e-upgrades was always a grey area, or at least not generally enforced. It would be nice to see AC gain some consistency in this area.

Overall, I think the change has been a long time coming, and is long overdue. The lineup issues across the network this fall were likely the final tipping point. Hopefully this cures those issues, as I don't think there will be a huge uptake of either MLL memberships at $400+, or premium credit cards at $600. It would also be nice to see 35K out of Zone 2 boarding, but maybe that's 2024's surprise...
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
I'm surprised they're only giving 2 MLL passes to 35k, same as 25k.

Ron.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Yes. The CC access privileges aren't tied to status. Someone can be a total FOTSG and get access to the MLL on both of their annual flights using their eligible credit card.
Status is supposed to be a frequent flyer program right .... not a frequent spend on credit card program?
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Status is supposed to be a frequent flyer program right .... not a frequent spend on credit card program?
A lot of people here got their status extended through next year because of credit card spend...

Ron.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:12 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
It is interesting to see "the purchase of a Business Class fare", as MLL access off e-upgrades was always a grey area, or at least not generally enforced. It would be nice to see AC gain some consistency in this area.

Overall, I think the change has been a long time coming, and is long overdue. The lineup issues across the network this fall were likely the final tipping point. Hopefully this cures those issues, as I don't think there will be a huge uptake of either MLL memberships at $400+, or premium credit cards at $600. It would also be nice to see 35K out of Zone 2 boarding, but maybe that's 2024's surprise...
35k's arent't flooding the lounges , it's credit card people.
Boarding zones is not the issue , it's how the staff handle the gate area and enforce the boarding process.
One day the staff will allow more than 3 seconds before calling zone 2 after zone 1 , or worse, they call them together
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by newfbc
I'm surprised they're only giving 2 MLL passes to 35k, same as 25k.

Ron.
I cannot remember if it was always this way? I'm E50K now but will drop to E35K in January.

I'll agree that lounges have been packed. There have been cases when I could not get into YYZ domestic at all. But I really do feel shafted that I sit in the seat but somebody who just gets a credit card now gets lounge access.
Personally, if they actually valued elite members they should only allow elite members into the lounge, along with paid J.

But I guess cash is king.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.