Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2023 Aeroplan Elite Status Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 9, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
2023 Benefits Update

There are very few changes to the program for 2023, except at the 35K level; see the first few posts of the thread for details.

For information on 2022 benefits, please see this thread.

Key updates:
  • Several changes to 35K
    • No more MLL access (from June 1)
    • Additional eUps for Select Privilege
    • Priority baggage handling (AC flights only)
    • Expanded Priority Rewards
  • 50K and up get access to Virgin Australia lounges
  • December 15 deadline to be approved for a Premium CC to enjoy rollover benefits

Ongoing Benefits With Dedicated Threads

Many benefits stay fairly consistent from year to year and have dedicated threads with detailed information. For questions and information on these topics, please visit these threads rather than posting here:
Print Wikipost

2023 Aeroplan Elite Status Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:13 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
It is interesting to see "the purchase of a Business Class fare", as MLL access off e-upgrades was always a grey area, or at least not generally enforced. It would be nice to see AC gain some consistency in this area.
Call me skeptical, but I don't believe the seven words you highlighted foreshadow any new consistency or enforcement by MLL staff. But I could be wrong.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by dr_torch
they should only allow elite members into the lounge, along with paid J.

But I guess cash is king.
Yes and Yes
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:16 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
It is interesting to see "the purchase of a Business Class fare", as MLL access off e-upgrades was always a grey area, or at least not generally enforced
The rules were clear that eUps didn't entitle someone to lounge access, but enforcement actually seemed to be pretty consistent - the scanners didn't know the difference, so people got in without issue.

The eUp T&Cs were changed a while back though to give access based on eUps, perhaps because AC hadn't figured out how to reliably implement the restriction.

Originally Posted by newfbc
I'm surprised they're only giving 2 ML passes to 35k, same as 25k.
Indeed. Especially as there was a time when 25K got more passes due to 35K, since 25K wasn't lounge-eligible and might be using them for themselves, so AC has thought about the differential between the two levels in the past.

Status is supposed to be a frequent flyer program right .... not a frequent spend on credit card program?
You don't need to spend anything on the card to get the lounge access, just pay the annual fee.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Status is supposed to be a frequent flyer program right .... not a frequent spend on credit card program?
AC / AP is a business and Frequent spenders make more money to AC/AP than frequent flyers.

still many here day dream of the assumption that loyal flyers are bringing profits to the airline - that boat had sailed long back. It’s high time everyone comes to reality.

OMAAT had written about this in AA’s context and it holds true for most airlines - https://onemileatatime.com/insights/...e_money_flying
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Not any more for a lot of other airlines. And maybe AC is transitioning to that direction ...
Maybe it is time to get an Aeroplan co-branding credit card even if you are a frequent flyer.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
^ Not according to AA and their new "Loyalty Points"... if it's any consolation, ppl earning more via credit cards will be competing less for various upgrades and elite benefits!
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
You don't need to spend anything on the card to get the lounge access, just pay the annual fee.
Thanks. That made me laugh. I needed that
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Overall, I think the change has been a long time coming, and is long overdue. The lineup issues across the network this fall were likely the final tipping point. Hopefully this cures those issues, as I don't think there will be a huge uptake of either MLL memberships at $400+, or premium credit cards at $600. It would also be nice to see 35K out of Zone 2 boarding, but maybe that's 2024's surprise...
I believe 25K still gets zone 2 boarding? If so, I do not see it taken away for 35K anytime soon.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Oh, I was going to try for 35K status since I was just a couple hundred dollars short. Won't bother now. I have Plaza Premium anyway and I was just thinking it was nice to have choice; get group 2 with 25K and credit card anyway.

Glad they at least warned of this enhancement.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
I believe 25K still gets zone 2 boarding? If so, I do not see it taken away for 35K anytime soon.
I don't believe that is the case. I think 25K gets Zone 3, at best.

Originally Posted by RZR
35k's arent't flooding the lounges , it's credit card people.
Boarding zones is not the issue , it's how the staff handle the gate area and enforce the boarding process.
One day the staff will allow more than 3 seconds before calling zone 2 after zone 1 , or worse, they call them together
All very valid points. I would love to see some stats on how many people are premium credit card holders, who don't also hold 50K+ status with AC. I would think the Venn diagram of those 2 groups has a lot of overlap, given the carryover benefits for SQM and E-Ups.

But, I think there are more 35K's out there than you realize. I think that you would see noticable differences in check-in and boarding lines, and the MLL if they didn't have those things. Just look at the Premium check-in zone at YYZ versus YVR or YYC. I have never stood in line at YYZ for more than 2 minutes, while often in YYC, I just use the kiosk and ask the agent for an orange tag, as opposed to standing in line.
Although those could be the less premium CC holders as well...

In any case, as with all of us, I'm for less of everything for anyone below me on the food chain.
RZR likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
E35K gets priority bags now though. Not that bad a of tradeoff losing the MLL.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:43 pm

I would add the double priority rewards to your summary as this is a pretty impactful decision

Overall, feels like this is a good change for many 35k members - especially those who typically travel J/F
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
AC / AP is a business and Frequent spenders make more money to AC/AP than frequent flyers.

still many here day dream of the assumption that loyal flyers are bringing profits to the airline - that boat had sailed long back. It’s high time everyone comes to reality.

OMAAT had written about this in AA’s context and it holds true for most airlines - https://onemileatatime.com/insights/...e_money_flying
AA has gone to an extreme on valuing CC spend, which DL and UA have not yet followed, so it's unclear whether they're entirely correct on this shift.

AC introduced ESQ and Status Boost before AA went down that path, so they've been showing status love to CC holders for even longer.

But AC's other actions suggest that spending money on flying is still more important to them than CC spend. The SQD discount for non-Canadian residents was recently eliminated, and while we can debate the merits of AC vs other airlines in general, Aeroplan status conveys certain benefits like lounge access, eUp preference, and discounts on reward tickets, based heavily on the amount spent on flying (lounge access is given away with status, unlike US airlines; eUps aren't CPUs based on status, the chances of upgrading, and number of flights that can be upgraded, are better not just with status but also with more expensive fares; PRs are awarded purely on SQD).

It's also important to note a key structural difference between the US market and the Canadian market - the credit card business is much more lucrative in the US. Interchange fees are much higher, and a lot more people carry a balance on their cards (proportionately, not just a higher absolute number because the US is a much larger country). This means there is a lot more revenue to be divvied up between the card issuer and the co-brand partner (the airline) in the US than in Canada. This is all before the ability for merchants to charge fees on CC transactions and other changes potentially make the Canadian CC space even less rewarding.

Thanks. That made me laugh. I needed that
It was just meant as a piece of factual information, but I'm glad it made you laugh
dr_torch likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Not sure why people are worked up about CC access via lounges. These cards have a $600 annual fee and steep minimum income requirements. The comparable MLL Club membership is $375.

My main issue with the program is Zone 2 boarding access for P25K and E35K.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Solar56
I would add the double priority rewards to your summary as this is a pretty impactful decision
That was announced in September, there's nothing new there.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.