Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2022 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:57 am

YVR-BKK dynamic award pricing... 216k+$55 for business lowest when zero seats on the plane booked. Booked Biz flex anyway but am hoping some partner award space comes up on my travel day Dec26 but wont hold my breath
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
AC adding YVR/BKK, YYZ-BOM via LHR - both seasonal, and other increases to existing services.

https://investors.aircanada.com/2022...Winter-2022-23
I like the BOM flight as I may have to go there.
However they seem to have a once a week non stop flight to BOM from YYZ which does not seem to be announced anywhere. 11 Jan 2023 has a direct flight on a 777 with a 14hr55 min flight time. Not sure if they will now cancel this direct and rebook everyone on the LHR connection.
Will the LHR connection be seamless i.e. get off and get back on or is this going to be where the India flight arrives in one terminal, clear security to head to another terminal ? LHR can be a gong show sometimes.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by vernonc
Not sure if they will now cancel this direct and rebook everyone on the LHR connection.
after re-reading this a few times from the presser, I'm starting to believe that they will operate YYZ-BOM via LHR alongside the nonstop YYZ-BOM already scheduled to return to service

The India market remains very important to Air Canada, and we are committed to resuming our currently paused non-stop services on Toronto-Mumbai and Vancouver-Delhi when circumstances allow.
both flights are loaded into the schedule on Jan 18, for example, though the nonstop could be removed any time if they indeed meant something else in their press release
Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:18 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Cool to see the BKK option.

Interestingly YVR-BKK it's a shorter distance than YVR-SYD or YYZ-HKG, but I suspect they've had to build in some extra block time to avoid Russia.
I wonder how much of that is Russia vs just winds. I recall noticing some very large divergences between YVR-TPE and TPE-YVR block times during the winter, long before Russian overflight became problematic.

The BKK flight would only cut through Russian airspace for a brief time on a great circle route. A bit more than YVR-SIN or YVR-TPE, but not a huge amount, and sometimes the divergences from great circle due to winds, operational issues, or other reasons is greater than that. For instance, here's a track from SQ's YVR-SIN flight from early February, before Russia invaded Ukraine - very similar to the one from Saturday.

However they seem to have a once a week non stop flight to BOM from YYZ which does not seem to be announced anywhere. 11 Jan 2023 has a direct flight on a 777 with a 14hr55 min flight time. Not sure if they will now cancel this direct and rebook everyone on the LHR connection.
Originally Posted by asovse1
after re-reading this a few times from the presser, I'm starting to believe that they will operate YYZ-BOM via LHR alongside the nonstop YYZ-BOM already scheduled to return to service

both flights are loaded into the schedule on Jan 18, for example, though the nonstop could be removed any time if they indeed meant something else in their press release
It would be odd for AC to operate both a non-stop and a stopping service at the same time. Not saying they won't, but definitely not their usual M.O. Then again, perhaps this would help them avoid the clusters that are the Canadian hubs - as with offering pax the option to get to EZE via YYZ-GRU or YUL-GRU, connect some of the pax at LHR instead of at YYZ, e.g. YVR-LHR-BOM instead of YVR-YYZ-BOM.

AC doesn't appear to be selling tickets for the LHR-BOM sector alone, but they might be allowed to connect their own pax from different inbound flights.

Will the LHR connection be seamless i.e. get off and get back on or is this going to be where the India flight arrives in one terminal, clear security to head to another terminal ? LHR can be a gong show sometimes.
It should be pretty seamless. It will be the same terminal, and shouldn't be any immigration at LHR, maybe just re-clearing security.
vernonc likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by asovse1

I am inclined to think that they will cancel the non-stop. The connection via LHR makes no mention of being temporary due to Russian airspace. I presume the non-stop would be weight constrained given that its a 15hr flight on a high capacity plane which would mean they would cancel and rebook on the LHR connection. I believe the previous non stop to BOM from YYZ was a mix between a 789 and a 777. I remember being on a 777 and there were definitely empty Y seats - i doubt these were unnsold in Dec, more likely kept empty. This was pre Covid in 2017.

I am inclined to think that they will cancel the non-stop. The connection via LHR makes no mention of being temporary due to Russian airspace. I presume the non-stop would be weight constrained given that its a 15hr flight on a high capacity plane which would mean they would cancel and rebook on the LHR connection. I believe the previous non stop to BOM from YYZ was a mix between a 789 and a 777. I remember being on a 777 and there were definitely empty Y seats - i doubt these were unnsold in Dec, more likely kept empty. This was pre Covid in 2017.
My friend who had booked on the non-stop flight in Jan just got a notification of change to the connection via LHR. So I guess the direct is now cancelled.
The connection flight is cheaper so she will have to call AC to get the diff back.
asovse1 likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 20, 2022 at 2:13 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by ThePopes
YVR-BKK dynamic award pricing... 216k+$55 for business lowest when zero seats on the plane booked. Booked Biz flex anyway but am hoping some partner award space comes up on my travel day Dec26 but wont hold my breath
Yeah, with these crazy dynamic pricing charges I'll stick to Eva Air's better J product with a 3:45 hr layover in TPE for 75K+$103 (YYC-YVR-TPE-BKK). Hopefully those prices will get lower.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Originally Posted by RoninTech
Yeah, with these crazy dynamic pricing charges I'll stick to Eva Air's better J product with a 3:45 hr layover in TPE for 75K+$103 (YYC-YVR-TPE-BKK). Hopefully those prices will get lower.
Are you actually seeing availability of BR through TPE in J?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:05 pm

....YYZ-BOM via LHR - ...
Why not add on SIN for old times sake.

Surprised BKK is in there.
That's a perfect route to overfly Russian airspace in happier times.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
AC doesn't appear to be selling tickets for the LHR-BOM sector alone, but they might be allowed to connect their own pax from different inbound flights.
This is interesting because the press release does sound like they will have 5th freedom rights on LHR-BOM:

Our Mumbai services are scheduled to operate with a stop in London Heathrow, offering connectivity to more than a dozen Air Canada and Star Alliance partner United Airlines flights between North America and London, as well as additional options for travel between the UK and India
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
This is interesting because the press release does sound like they will have 5th freedom rights on LHR-BOM:

Our Mumbai services are scheduled to operate with a stop in London Heathrow, offering connectivity to more than a dozen Air Canada and Star Alliance partner United Airlines flights between North America and London, as well as additional options for travel between the UK and India
I did a dummy booking on AC.com and you can indeed buy LHR-BOM tickets.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by shawneve
Are you actually seeing availability of BR through TPE in J?
I did when I booked it in April for end of August. 2 x YYC-YVR-TPE-BKK all in J for 74K + $103CAD each.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Earlier, Today AC website was selling YYZ / BOM Non stop tickets as well as YYZ / LHR / BOM. Now they are not showing the NON stop flight.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: hahaha
Haha yeah the flight was removed between vernonc's posts above. I had it open from last night because I was about to book a nice O fare on it. Looks like that's gone now but I wasn't willing to connect anyway lol
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:09 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE

Originally Posted by WesternCDN
I did a dummy booking on AC.com and you can indeed buy LHR-BOM tickets.
Interesting. Google Flights has not yet picked up on that.
expert7700 and WesternCDN like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:40 pm

Presumably they will use the LHR-BOM flight to keep one pair of LHR slots occupied this winter and then cancel one of the regular LHR flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.