Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Clean Care+ program

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:27 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
I’ve been meaning to post this but kept on forgetting - I flew LHR YVR in mid June. Kit had the stupid eco sanitizer. Of course I used because... what else to use? Anyways, land, go through the quarantine declaration, immigration, etc. - head to domestic security. There’s a lineup, I’d like to go to the bathroom, but I decide to do it after clearing. I get a random, they swab my hands, it comes back positive!! Of course most likely due to the sanitizer, but so annoying in Covid times to then have your suitcase taken apart to the shell and wait 20 minutes as they do it..
TL;DR - wash your hands with soap and water before clearing security. Just in case.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Dusit
What changed at Spartan? Shortly after its product release it was subject to a recall
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...a-expresses-2/
https://globalnews.ca/news/6899733/s...l-ahs-testing/
Spartan said Health Canada was concerned about the “efficacy of the proprietary swab” for the testing product.Chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam stated a news conference that real-world trials of the test so far haven’t delivered necessary outcomes.“While the Spartan system, or the device, performed very well in a laboratory setting, and along the specifications the manufacturer had provided, it was in the real-life setting, in the clinical setting, where it didn’t perform well.”
And now Air Canada intends to use the device?
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
And now Air Canada intends to use the device?
My interpretation is that Air Canada - much like many travel & tourism related companies - is becoming increasingly desperate to regain its customer base since the floor fell out of their industry in March. They seem to be investing in something...dear God, anything that might restore public faith in the act of flying shoulder-to-shoulder with hundreds of strangers. The urgency of the pandemic's effects on much of the economy spurs many players such as Spartan to rush to develop products aimed at restoring pre-covid levels of confidence and business. Naturally, the urge towards expediency, whether for benevolent or for profitable means, will result in several iterations of product design until they 'get it right'.
Air Canada doesn't seem like it can afford to wait for the natural evolution of a cure for the disease (ie: a vaccine) and is instead relying upon various techniques ranging from basic (sanitizing their surfaces) to ineffective (temperature gun checks) to gimmicky (rapid swab tests). As long as they are seen to be doing something - even this "beta-testing your customers in real-time" initiative we're seeing - their hope is for the punters to return in numbers.
donrufio likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
When will spartan quick testing be approved?

When will AC then start to do rapid covid 19 testing on all passengers who might to board?

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...tan-bioscience
Old Jul 13, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Unfortunately I can't make the decision for you but there is always a risk. You can take steps to reduce the risk. Some people are flying with face shields and you can buy them at T&T. Some people also flying with safety goggles on. I upgraded my mask to a KN95 mask just for the flight to reduce my risk of breathing in contaminated droplets, if any.

Where or how or from whom do you buy face shields, safety goggles, and KN95 masks? all at T and T!
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:10 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Please don't waste your money on N95 masks. Unless you have been fit-tested, are wearing the correct size, and have the mask properly secured at all times, the N95 is essentially no better for you than a cloth face mask or surgical mask.

My wife is an emergency nurse, responsible for training in her department, and the above comes from her, as does the following. It was a real struggle at the beginning of the pandemic to remind doctors and nurses on how to correctly use their N95 masks, and of the hundreds of people she has seen wearing them out and about in the community, not one has been wearing the mask in a manner that would actually give them the benefit of an N95. Most people have the wrong size, and nearly everyone wears them incorrectly - wearing it tight enough that it forms a seal isn't very comfortable, so most people have them far too loose. If it's too loose, you're breathing in lots of particles from around the mask, bypassing the filter that's the whole point of the N95 mask.

So save your money and hassle and just wear a cloth or surgical mask. You will also find yourself far more comfortable.
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
I have heard that too about N95 masks Adam,. There is a reason that the photos of health care people taking them off have deep marks on their faces from them being tight. I was told I would have to cut off much of my beard for them to be effective too.

Last edited by folkart; Jul 13, 2020 at 11:34 pm
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:56 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by folkart
I have heard that too about N95 masks Adam,. There is a reason that the photos of health care people taking them off have deep marks on their faces from them being tight. I was told I would have to cut off much of my beard for them to be detective too.
Indeed, facial hair is generally quite problematic. A guide on what works and what doesn't can be found on the CDC website. Beards generally don't work.

I was trying to be concise in the initial post, but since we're doing a deeper dive, would also note that the more you take the mask off and on, the more you negate the advantage of the N95, both by you breathing in the unfiltered air, as well as allowing particles from the outside in to the inside of the mask.

And my wife has gone to bed, so I can't ask her for sure whether it's still the case, but for quite a while, there was a large shortage of N95s for people who actually need them, so to see them wasted by random people who managed to get their hands on them was frustrating for health care workers.

Anyway, the bottom line is, no point doing an N95 for your AC flight.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: SE100K
Originally Posted by folkart
I have heard that too about N95 masks Adam,. There is a reason that the photos of health care people taking them off have deep marks on their faces from them being tight. I was told I would have to cut off much of my beard for them to be effective too.
N95 masks were created for dust particles. The are not fitted and are not meant for airborne liquid pathogens.

Medical masks adhere to ASTM standards as any Nurse or Doctor would know. BFE, PFE and Blow Testing. Level 1 Level 2 and Level 3.

"Face coverings" do nothing.

The irony, they recalled some 30,000 masks made in Shanghai for being faulty. Now, how do you think they determined that? Well, the BFE and PFE levels of the masks were around 22%.

Before this pandemic, a doctor would not wear a mask that had a BFE and PFE of lower than a 98% efficacy.

So, if they are stating that these masks are faulty due to not adhering to ASTM standards... why would they recommend wearing any type of face covering except one that adheres to the standards they have relied on for decades..
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
My interpretation is that Air Canada - much like many travel & tourism related companies - is becoming increasingly desperate to regain its customer base since the floor fell out of their industry in March. They seem to be investing in something...dear God, anything that might restore public faith in the act of flying shoulder-to-shoulder with hundreds of strangers. The urgency of the pandemic's effects on much of the economy spurs many players such as Spartan to rush to develop products aimed at restoring pre-covid levels of confidence and business. Naturally, the urge towards expediency, whether for benevolent or for profitable means, will result in several iterations of product design until they 'get it right'.
Air Canada doesn't seem like it can afford to wait for the natural evolution of a cure for the disease (ie: a vaccine) and is instead relying upon various techniques ranging from basic (sanitizing their surfaces) to ineffective (temperature gun checks) to gimmicky (rapid swab tests). As long as they are seen to be doing something - even this "beta-testing your customers in real-time" initiative we're seeing - their hope is for the punters to return in numbers.
Recently saw a a flight report with Qatar...blew my mind what other carriers are implementing. Kind of solidifies my perspective of N/A carriers and why I try my best to avoid them.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 4:54 pm

One point that didn't seem to be discussed, from one of the CleanCare+ updates, was:

As of July 1, a notification email will be sent to you prior to check-in if your flight is reaching capacity in Economy Class. This is to allow you to explore other options if you prefer more space onboard.

Here's what that e-mail looks like:

Subject: Helpful information about your upcoming flight to XXX

Booking Reference: ABC123

We’ve introduced Air Canada CleanCare+, the industry-leading set of biosafety measures that puts your safety first, always. Learn more.

We also wanted to let you know in advance that we are expecting your flight ACxxxx from YYY to XXX to be fairly full.

If you’d like to explore alternative options, you can select another flight in the same class of service at no charge within three days of your original flight.

Want to explore re-booking on an alternate flight?

Please note that you can change your flight up to 2 hours prior to departure. Although we cannot guarantee your next flight will have more available seats, we want you to know that you have options to choose from if you’d like.

For Aeroplan bookings, call 1-800-361-5373 or click here for contact options.

For all other bookings*, please feel free to call Air Canada Reservations at 1-888-247-2262 (for international and other numbers, click here).
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 5:46 pm

Any statistics of COVID19 infection rate from flying AC since Clean Care Plus ?

Does anyone have those statistics - of passengers catching covid 19 from flying AC (domestic vs transborder vs international) - in flights known to have covid 19 positive passengers flying, and more imprtantly, in flights where there was no suspicion of passengers with covid 19 fliying?
Old Jul 14, 2020, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Last edited by 24left; Jul 19, 2020 at 7:56 am
Old Jul 14, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
those are just potential exposure so just a person that tested positive was onboard a flight in there last 14 days. these "exposure announcements" are not effected by any of the measures taken.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
When will spartan quick testing be approved?

When will AC then start to do rapid covid 19 testing on all passengers who might to board?

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...tan-bioscience

I emailed my Health Canada contact. I was told that that spartan has not submitted the clinical trials data on the new swab - and Health Canada is not aware when the data will be submitted to them for review.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.