Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: codfather

Print Wikipost

The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by skiier97
Lasted update to the iOS app removes FIN numbers. Interesting….
Which update? I'm on v5.26.0 (iOS) and FIN numbers are showing for today's flights.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by After Burner
Which update? I'm on v5.26.0 (iOS) and FIN numbers are showing for today's flights.
5.26.2 doesn’t show FIN numbers for me on the handful of flights I checked today.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Sounds like we need a new cowtool.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 1:35 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I'm not a conspiracy theorist in general, but I can't hope but wonder if ditching the FIN is an attempt to prevent pax from figuring out that their INOP aircraft has simply been reassigned to a more 'important' route.

There's more than one way to suppress potential APPR claims.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I'm not a conspiracy theorist in general, but I can't hope but wonder if ditching the FIN is an attempt to prevent pax from figuring out that their INOP aircraft has simply been reassigned to a more 'important' route.

There's more than one way to suppress potential APPR claims.
That's what I was getting at with my comment above.

The system may have a tentative plan for what aircraft will operate what flight, but it's subject to change up to the very last minute. I've had last minute gate changes because it was the fastest way to swap aircraft.

But if someone's going to check at 0800, see FIN 123, then encounter a delay, see 456, and also see 123 is flying elsewhere, they're going to make a stupid complaint.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 6:38 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Why does the app require access to your location to use WiFi to activate a WiFi pass?

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's what I was getting at with my comment above.

The system may have a tentative plan for what aircraft will operate what flight, but it's subject to change up to the very last minute. I've had last minute gate changes because it was the fastest way to swap aircraft.

But if someone's going to check at 0800, see FIN 123, then encounter a delay, see 456, and also see 123 is flying elsewhere, they're going to make a stupid complaint.
How many of these people were looking at the FIN vs seeing that their inbound was coming from YYZ at gate C43, now their delayed flight is showing inbound was from YUL at C47? I'm not sure they've actually solved the problem they think they're trying to solve. (If our postulations about their motivations are correct)
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
How many of these people were looking at the FIN vs seeing that their inbound was coming from YYZ at gate C43, now their delayed flight is showing inbound was from YUL at C47? I'm not sure they've actually solved the problem they think they're trying to solve. (If our postulations about their motivations are correct)
This is the version I've heard more people doing. The average flyer not being someone who really gets or cares what a fin is.

That said since I fly routes with CR9s it's really handy to see the fin since I can sometimes figure out if I'm getting one of the nice ones with TVs or if I'm going to have to entertain myself.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:41 pm

Another frustrating experience. Mobile app offered a couple of one way flights YYJ - FLL for 16K in economy. Go to book and it starts to produce errors and won't accept payment. Go to AC.COM and nothing under 34k. Ended up booking a redeye in PE for 38.5. I have about 20 hours to find something more appealing!!
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:16 pm

Bonus

I am confused yet again.
Just booked a reward flight for 33,320 points. When I look on the mobile app at the transactions it shows this number of points deducted. When I expand it it shows a promotional bonus of -25,170 and a base of -8,150. Since when did bonus's gouge you!! Do you think I could phone to refuse the bonus!!
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: Air Canada
FIN numbers removed from app????

Has anyone noticed that AC has removed the fin numbers from the app when checking flight status? Can anyone check and see if their FIN are showing?

I can’t post my photos until I have a minimum amount of posts

my suspicion is that AC is hiding them so passengers can’t see which aircraft is being swapped out… I’ve been told three times on three different trips this summer that the delay was caused due to aircraft safety issues only to find out via Flightaware and Flightradar24 that the aircraft just flew a different route… CBC is all over this right now with Sophia Harris
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by acflyer24
Has anyone noticed that AC has removed the fin numbers from the app when checking flight status?
Been like this for a couple weeks.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I am stuck on a 5 hour flight on a 737. Without knowing the FIN, I don't know if the Wifi works.

I am stuck on a crappy plane + I cannot plan my day.

Annoying
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999
I am stuck on a 5 hour flight on a 737. Without knowing the FIN, I don't know if the Wifi works.

I am stuck on a crappy plane + I cannot plan my day.
The WiFi & Entertainment button will tell you whether the aircraft has WiFi.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I flew TATL on 7M8 Fin 509 and it had wifi but the wifi and entertainment button on the app said no wifi available for this flight.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I think for the 737, they assume it doesn't have wifi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.