Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jaysona
When you see it......
(pic)
Took me a bit, but that is pretty funny.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:04 am

When you see it......
is this SFO? Because that would explain a few recent incidents.
eracerblue, Bohemian1 and smallmj like this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by smallmj
Took me a bit, but that is pretty funny.
Ya, it's pretty funny, a couple of pilots I know made some funny comments after I posted it on my FB page

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Not SFO, the airport is clearly mentioned in the pic.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Once again Ewwwnited shows no mercy or compassion when it comes to helpless animals...

Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Once again Ewwwnited shows no mercy or compassion when it comes to helpless animals...

LMAO.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Not SFO, the airport is clearly mentioned in the pic.
I didn't realize that RDU was the airport, I wrongly assumed it was a cut-rate supplier of aviation information. I immediately thought of this article:
Cabin pressure: Are airline contractors cutting corners on safety to earn business? | Financial Post
and the allegation that Air Georgian uses discount plates for airport information. Shows how much I know about things.

Still a funny pic though...
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I know for a fact (at least during 2016) that U of T directly recruits in Chinese high schools. But mostly were to fill UTM and UTSC, not UTSG.
UBC took a step further, creating "Vintage College" for their new found cash-cows.
This. My family member at UTM estimates that his Comp Science classes has 90% Asian students (originally from either Chinese sub continent or Indian sub continent). Some of these kids are from the gulf countries where their parents are working (Dubai, Saudi, etc). Of this 90%, half are local Canadians (citizens or landed immigrants), the rest are foreign students. These are broad brush strokes numbers so take it with a pinch of salt. I hear Waterloo is similar too. Kind of wonder where are the Canadian STEM students ? Specially with govt plans to woo large tech companies like AMZ HQ2. Actually reading the AMZ HQ2 pitch from TO was interesting since it did list the benefits of the GTA including STEM grad numbers, etc.
While its nice that the universities have found a cash cow with these foreign students, long term our workforce may be skewed with too many BA and Business Mgmt grads.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:40 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Left, RIght, runway, taxiway, SFO, RDU - it's just minor detail anyway.
eracerblue and quantumofforce like this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Canadian bank stocks have been doing very poorly these last few days. I wonder what is going on.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
RDU is where the geeks who are too conservative to deal with SFO fly to.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
You know if you are a Canadian tax payer, you are paying for it too,right?
I believe advanced ed is provincial, or at least it was when I was involved in DQAB in BC vetting UBC's degrees.

Wrt to not expanding compsci earlier, honestly who cares. Anyone who needs more than RTFM really isn't suited to industry anyhow, and likely will merely focus on the philosophical aspects of the "science" (arguably math).

So the economic value of one discipline vs others (say, comparative lit in German) is moot.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Canadian bank stocks have been doing very poorly these last few days. I wonder what is going on.
I hear the Toronto housing market isn't a rocket anymore... that could be bad for banks.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Frequent flyers... if you use a storage solution, which service do you use? For example, a run-of-the-mill self-storage company, storage valet service, etc. Why did you pick this solution?
How much are you paying a month? How much stuff are you storing (roughly)?

(This is in relation to physical belongings, if it wasn't apparent enough - for example, physical sports equipment, physical furniture, physical books, physicals collectibles, etc.)

Last edited by yyznomad; Apr 5, 2018 at 11:50 am
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I hear the Toronto housing market isn't a rocket anymore... that could be bad for banks.
It’s bad for many. Including those of us with bad neighbours!

This guy selling new $3M places just north of the GTA dropped his prices to $2M couple of weeks back.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Anyone have an idea what % of SE/75/50/35/25 are members on FT?
Seems like so many SE post here, I would suspect the majority, or at least 50%?
Just wondering

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.