Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
@DrunkCargo - you must really love the new speculation tax.
It didn't exist 20 years ago, and it's been easily 10+ years since I've bothered with slumlording on the side. Sold almost everything off to the managers I hired.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
@DrunkCargo - you must really love the new speculation tax.
Since the speculation tax is actually a property tax surcharge, it won't affect people flipping under-construction homes without ever taking possession of them one bit.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
But I still don't understand why you'd live in the place? I was born in Vancouver, believe me, I've ridden the property trend a bit the past 2.5 decades, but I never lived in my investments. In BC it just means paying more transfer tax and closing costs, but meh, why actually move my crap around?
To maintain your personal residence exemption. If you flip a lot it’s a red flag for CRA and you end up paying capital gains or corporate tax. It was a hot topic for a while and I think it’s still a focus. As part of their enforcement they were asking people to verify and validate their residency.

I haven’t run The math on what the tax would be on flipping like this in years so I have no idea whether it’s worth the effort.

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I think they bought them pre-construction and timed the completion based off phases.
I honestly thought it was strange too... maybe I will ask them next time I see them lol.
I know people in condos have to take occupancy and basically pay a form of rent here in Ontario - this goes on until the condo is registered. You could pay it for years if there are issues.
I wonder if there’s something related to the timing? Even if they’re freehold detached homes...
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by meagicano
To maintain your personal residence exemption. If you flip a lot it’s a red flag for CRA and you end up paying capital gains or corporate tax. It was a hot topic for a while and I think it’s still a focus. As part of their enforcement they were asking people to verify and validate their residency.

I haven’t run The math on what the tax would be on flipping like this in years so I have no idea whether it’s worth the effort.

Most of the flippers I know just use family members who don't own their own homes as straw buyers. The straw buyer claims the investment property as their principal residence. Straw buyer gets to claim the first time home buyer tax credit, too.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
LMAO ROFL
$SNAP just updated its investor website
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:46 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Nothing like marketing BS.

Anytime I see the word "empower" in a corporate context, I get suspicious.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:01 pm

I'm currently without noise cancelling headphones for a few weeks while Bose replaces my QC25s that died. You don't realize how great active noise cancelling on flights is until you don't have it anymore...
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing like marketing BS.

Anytime I see the word "empower" in a corporate context, I get suspicious.
Empower, world class, quantitative performance indicators, mission and vision. And surely the list of platitudes goes on.

But eh, some folks make money on the BS...
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by meagicano
It's not a red flag if you actually declare and pay the taxes. This is hardly difficult for CRA to chase, and a pretty pathetic attempt at evasion. There's no way UBS would help with this... I guess a local shyster lawyer might. =P

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Most of the flippers I know just use family members who don't own their own homes as straw buyers. The straw buyer claims the investment property as their principal residence. Straw buyer gets to claim the first time home buyer tax credit, too.
*sigh*
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Empower, world class, quantitative performance indicators, mission and vision. And surely the list of platitudes goes on.

But eh, some folks make money on the BS...
Hey, I'm empowering a lot of people at my job.

No really, I work at a power plant.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
My U2 TXL-MUC is operated by a wetleased Condor 753. This feels like a waste for such a large plane
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
So I was at Dollarama today and saw a knock-off Kit Kat Chunky that is imported from Turkey. The funny thing is that it tasted better than a real Kit Kat. Sorry 24left.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by smallmj
So I was at Dollarama today and saw a knock-off Kit Kat Chunky that is imported from Turkey. The funny thing is that it tasted better than a real Kit Kat. Sorry 24left.
@smallmj
LOL. No worries. I just saw these in BKK. I love how they managed to get 5 or 6 different languages on the package.

As for your Turkish Kit Kat, I'm sure it tasted better. My "experiences" led me to conclude that our Kit Kats only taste good in 2 specific locations/situations: 1. On an AC flight, crossing the Pacific, pre-or post the noodles. 2. Chilled Kit Kats and chilled champagne

smallmj likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS

I saw these in Shoppers Drug Mart downtown Toronto yesterday. And saw the small Japanese green tea ones in Loblaws today.
Is our domestic deprivation of exotic KitKats coming to an end?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
After traveling with just my backpack, I forgot to pull my passport out when I got home.

I've been walking around in the rain the past week.

Passport is completely ruined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.