Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Should we all pool some AE points to send Jack on a trip around the world to find himself? The destinations will be selected by poll of AC FT forum members.
quantumofforce likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
If your wife makes you feel chained, you're doing it wrong.
I love my kids, and don't feel they are chaining me. Yes they are work, but I love them and they bring me a lot of joy overall.I
Enjoyed the song..
Obv prospect/perspective changes. I don't know what It feels like to have a wife and kid but I have a perception of what a long term relationship is/will be. (Very likely its completely wrong but who knows, maybe one year from now I will see things differently).

But I take issue with your statement that just because I felt chained by university, it means I did it wrong.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Apr 20, 2018 at 2:09 am
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Should we all pool some AE points to send Jack on a trip around the world to find himself?
I am already doing it.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
The best way to not being chained again is not having those two
Yes and no. I totally feel chained by my house, not at all by my wife.
pewpew, jc94 and quantumofforce like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I am already doing it.
Best thing you can do IMO. Recognizing how fortunate I am to be healthy and without any major financial or personal obligations, I recently spent 7 months just traveling and having a good time. The only problem was adjusting back to work life, but I plan to do it again in a couple of years.
Jumper Jack likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Best thing you can do IMO. Recognizing how fortunate I am to be healthy and without any major financial or personal obligations, I recently spent 7 months just traveling and having a good time. The only problem was adjusting back to work life, but I plan to do it again in a couple of years.
No student loans, eh

I just discovered that the med school where I had my best interview this cycle will finish admissions decisions (and therefore hopefully release them too) next week. My anxiety just shot through the roof lol.

On the bright side, maybe all this time I've spent (poorly) prepping for my Bain interview will have been a waste
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:58 am

But I take issue with your statement that just because I felt chained by university, it means I did it wrong.
Why did you stick around in school if it felt like such a burden?
When did it start to feel like a burden?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Why did you stick around in school if it felt like such a burden?
When did it start to feel like a burden?
While I agree with most of the above around wife and kids ... I do feel many people feel like Jack here by the time they finish.

There is a big difference between a Year 1 of a
course and coming to the end of it 3-4 years later. By the time you get to the end, especially if you’ve been working every spare bit of time (me) and not had a vacation in years ... I was ready to leave FTE!

But even if I was completely fed up (this was a while
ago lol) I wasn’t going to leave in my final year or after spending a few years getting that far.
Jumper Jack likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: AC SE
Sometimes when I read this thread I feel like a more apt title would be "Jack's School of Life Thread (2018)" or "Jack's Therapy Thread (2018)".
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by jasdou
Sometimes when I read this thread I feel like a more apt title would be "Jack's School of Life Thread (2018)" or "Jack's Therapy Thread (2018)".
“Jack’s Life Advice Thread”?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:58 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Gillian Flynn's UTOPIA US remake moves to Amazon with straight to series order after being dead at HBO for years (If Fincher returns to direct... it would be game changing)
I didn't even know there was going to be a US version of Utopia. Makes sense; lots of other shows originating in Europe are resold to US producers, just wasn't aware of this one - but there it is in IMDB.

Not sure if it will really be an improvement, but thanks for the heads up.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Aaaand Calgary comes out of nowhere with the waitlist!

Originally Posted by pewpew
I just discovered that the med school where I had my best interview this cycle will finish admissions decisions (and therefore hopefully release them too) next week. My anxiety just shot through the roof lol.
Fortunately the quote above was referring to a different university
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I didn't even know there was going to be a US version of Utopia. Makes sense; lots of other shows originating in Europe are resold to US producers, just wasn't aware of this one - but there it is in IMDB.

Not sure if it will really be an improvement, but thanks for the heads up.
Yeah it was almost made with Fincher directing all episodes a few years ago. The show had a very strong cast and went as far as one month of rehearsing. HBO pulled the plug because Fincher wanted $5M more in budget and his other show at HBO was in chaos.(Video Synchroncy)

In retrospect, At the time they thought they had two bombs on their hands. Vinyl turned out to be a really expensive bomb. West World surprised everyone

If Fincher is back.. I am sure it would be. His The Girl With Dragon Tattoo US remake was better imo. Of course, higher budget helped

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Apr 20, 2018 at 11:34 am
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by jasdou

Two things got me through four years of university.
TV Shows
And this Forum

Thank you all, I am grateful.

​​​​​
jc94 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
TIL:

1. Government forms are versioned, and you don't want to make the $45 mistake of filling out the old one that requires notarization when all you need is the new one signed by yourself.
2. Certain passport offices can take an application at 1245 and guarantee a 1530 pickup (if only there were now IKK space on any of the Sunday non-stops).
3. They seemed serious about getting me to tell my references that they WOULD be contacted today. I'm glad my guarantor was with me, as we were able to skip that phone call. I don't think I've ever had a reference called for a regular renewal though, and given that I actually had the old (damaged) passport, I'm hoping they skip the formalities (in case one of the references isn't available in such a short window). I am who I say I am, I swear
ffsim likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.