Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
After traveling with just my backpack, I forgot to pull my passport out when I got home.

I've been walking around in the rain the past week.

Passport is completely ruined.
Oops. That'll make EYW harder.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rehoult
Oops. That'll make EYW harder.
Haha.

Luckily I can't recall the last time I was asked for a passport on a TB itinerary. But I definitely need to deal with this. Maybe a day-trip to YVR.

It looks like I can't even use the damn renewal form. I need to start from scratch.

Sigh.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Haha.

Luckily I can't recall the last time I was asked for a passport on a TB itinerary. But I definitely need to deal with this. Maybe a day-trip to YVR.

It looks like I can't even use the damn renewal form. I need to start from scratch.

Sigh.
Condolences, sucks that local consulate doesn't help when it comes to things like this
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
After traveling with just my backpack, I forgot to pull my passport out when I got home.

I've been walking around in the rain the past week.

How bad is it? I've been successful at "renewing" a water-damaged passport before (even though officially you aren't allowed to do this). It was completely submerged and all the stamps washed out or bled. It actually looked sort of OK after drying out though, I even traveled a few more times with it before renewing.

Last edited by eigenvector; Apr 9, 2018 at 2:00 am
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
How bad is it? I've been successful at "renewing" a water-damaged passport before (even though officially you aren't allowed to do this). It was completely submerged and all the stamps washed out or bled. It actually looked sort of OK after drying out though, I even traveled a few more times with it before renewing.
I'll take a few photos later, but even my photo has some water bleed in it.

I need to look through the difference between renewal and replacement, but I suppose I could just come with both sets of forms, and give them whichever one they'll accept. Though not needing a guarantor means I could do it more easily.

Sounds like I may take a two-day trip up to YYC for this.

What a PITA.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I'll take a few photos later, but even my photo has some water bleed in it.

I need to look through the difference between renewal and replacement, but I suppose I could just come with both sets of forms, and give them whichever one they'll accept. Though not needing a guarantor means I could do it more easily.

Sounds like I may take a two-day trip up to YYC for this.

What a PITA.
That sucks. I don't have any experience with this on Canadian passports, I do know YMMV with US customs agents on damaged passports where some care and some don't though.
Do you not have a RFID wallet? Or did it leak through that too.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Someone posted some time ago in another thread about water-damaged passports and mentioned they use these. I can tell you it saved mine from more than one downpour in Singapore.

Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
That sucks. I don't have any experience with this on Canadian passports, I do know YMMV with US customs agents on damaged passports where some care and some don't though.
Mine is fairly seriously damaged. It's not "a drop of water". US agents never even want to see my passport, but I'd rather deal with it now than have to fight with them when they finally ask.

I do not have an RFID wallet. I'm definitely looking into what I can buy though

The main issue is I forgot my passport was in this bag. It usually isn't.

Originally Posted by 24left
Someone posted some time ago in another thread about water-damaged passports and mentioned they use these. I can tell you it saved mine from more than one downpour in Singapore.

That's a little too low-tech for me
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by eigenvector
I'm currently without noise cancelling headphones for a few weeks while Bose replaces my QC25s that died. You don't realize how great active noise cancelling on flights is until you don't have it anymore...
Ever since I started using an iPad Pro as my sole travel machine, I've been taking a much smaller bag onboard which means no room for my Bose headphones. You know what surprised me? How much I didn't miss the bulk of carrying those things around! I use a pair of Sony noise-isolating earbuds and I've got to say, I'm pretty happy with the tradeoff. They definitely don't offer the same sound quality or noise reduction as my Bose, but they literally fit in a 3-inch-square pouch. Oddly liberating.

Ouch, what a headache... I was going to suggest heading over to the Canadian consulate in San Fransisco, but it seems they don't produce passports. However, they do suggest contacting the "Canadian Citizen Services Contact Centre for Canadians in the U.S." if you need a passport urgently. Maybe they can offer some guidance.

Originally Posted by jc94
I've carried my passports in an RFID sleeve for the past few years and wanted to pick up a nicer, more functional passport wallet / holder / sleeve with room for credit cards and whatnot. My research led me to believe that RFID protection for a passport might be somewhat overkill. Apparently some passports need to physically be open in order to read the data contained on the chip, and the data is highly encrypted so it's of little to no use to anyone who can actually read it.

I'm not suggesting any of the above is true or accurate, but I just wanted to share that I'm super thrilled with my new, non-RFID blocking Bellroy passport sleeve
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by 24left

I use this religiously (it's great that you can fold the edges of the bag so it doesn't take up any more room than the passport would ordinarily), but it turns out they get invisible pinholes at the corners if you use the same one for a while... as I discovered after a downpour in Haifa. I posted a photo earlier: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29254705-post81.html

I've now upgraded to this although it's a little bulky: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5003-652/Pocket-Dry-Bag

These are good too and I usually use them for documents or my phone when I'm camping: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5060-5...-4x7-%282pk%29

Note that despite the damage in the photo linked above, I've successfully traveled with this passport to six countries (all in South America) and not a word was said about it, although the officer at EZE did take my passport into another room before returning a few minutes later (I suspect it was because they don't have chip readers at every immigration kiosk). The only comment I had about it was actually during a jet-bridge passport check when returning to Canada at YYZ. The officer remarked that the photo is compromised and Passport Canada would deem it unusable, but that nowadays they only scrutinize the actual ID page if the chip is unreadable for some reason.
24left likes this.

Last edited by eigenvector; Apr 9, 2018 at 3:29 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
Ouch, what a headache... I was going to suggest heading over to the Canadian consulate in San Fransisco, but it seems they don't produce passports. However, they do suggest contacting the "Canadian Citizen Services Contact Centre for Canadians in the U.S." if you need a passport urgently. Maybe they can offer some guidance.
I don't need it "urgently". I just can't risk mailing it in and waiting 20 business days. I have a friend who did that, and her grandfather literally died the next day. What a pain for someone on a visa.

I really think my best option is to fly up one day, go to the passport office, pay for an urgent one, and pick it up the next day. It seems I've been invited to a party in YYZ next Friday, so the timing could work out. It just means I need to leave after work Wednesday and work remotely Thursday/Friday.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Yes I had to do the next day thing once too when I forgot the expiry. If I remember correctly, you probably have to take proof of when you are flying for them to give you the next day passport in addition to paying a very high 'urgent' fee. If you are flying to YYZ, the Mississauga passport office is about 20-30 mins away depending on traffic.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
Yes I had to do the next day thing once too when I forgot the expiry. If I remember correctly, you probably have to take proof of when you are flying for them to give you the next day passport in addition to paying a very high 'urgent' fee. If you are flying to YYZ, the Mississauga passport office is about 20-30 mins away depending on traffic.
I know exactly which office I'm going to use (I think that one), and I'll definitely have proof. I just booked my round-trip ticket for my passport replacement friend's 30th.

What a pain.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I had to very carefully schedule my renewal and just because it was coming up to expired (e,r 6 months before expired).

So far as I could understand the process, renewals always require providing the old passport. Which makes renewals a very risky proposal for the likes of me who expect to be in Canada for only 1 business day (if that) at a time.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
156 Hours to Go

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.