Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
So it begins?
https://www.thestar.com/business/201...cial-ruin.html
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Frequent flyers... if you use a storage solution, which service do you use? For example, a run-of-the-mill self-storage company, storage valet service, etc. Why did you pick this solution?
How much are you paying a month? How much stuff are you storing (roughly)?
I use dropbox and google drive.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Hey jack, isn't today your flight? Since when is oakville toronto? It's east westof bathurst... might as well live in winnipeg.
quantumofforce likes this.

Last edited by DrunkCargo; Apr 5, 2018 at 11:33 am Reason: directionally challenged.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Hey jack, isn't today your flight? Since when is oakville toronto? It's east westof bathurst... might as well live in winnipeg.
Flight is April 19th, and Oakville is part of GTA
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:54 pm

Oh, well, "Thursday" so I'm right. =P

Was about to head to YVR just to join your flight enroute back to SFO... AC739 was that addicting. I guess I'll try to find another airline to RTW a bit before Tuesday.

No clue about the GTA I guess. You're in the middle of exams I assume?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:04 pm

Oh, well, "Thursday" so I'm right. =P

Was about to head to YVR just to join your flight enroute back to SFO... AC739 was that addicting. I guess I'll try to find another airline to RTW a bit before Tuesday.

No clue about the GTA I guess. You're in the middle of exams I assume?
Yeah just have to survive the next 10 days lol
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I thought your family is from/living in the Hoggs Hollow area?

Which school did you attend in Oakville?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I thought your family is from/living in the Hoggs Hollow area?

Which school did you attend in Oakville?
Wait what, I went to York Mills CI..
I was just stating Oakville is part of GTA thats all. Similar thing is happening near Vaughan also... knew a few family friends that moves every year by flipping houses
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:39 pm

I was just stating Oakville is part of GTA thats all. Similar thing is happening near Vaughan also... knew a few family friends that moves every year by flipping houses
Why live in the house? Transaction costs/taxes?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:41 pm

Why live in the house? Transaction costs/taxes?
It was going up so much back then, even factor in the taxes and transaction cost it made sense. I think they stopped on their 3rd or 4th by 2017.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...urbs-1.3269948
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:46 pm

It was going up so much back then, even factor in the taxes and transaction cost it made sense. I think they stopped on their 3rd or 4th by 2017.

House prices in some GTA suburbs rising more quickly than Toronto: report | CBC News
But I still don't understand why you'd live in the place? I was born in Vancouver, believe me, I've ridden the property trend a bit the past 2.5 decades, but I never lived in my investments. In BC it just means paying more transfer tax and closing costs, but meh, why actually move my crap around?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:50 pm

But I still don't understand why you'd live in the place? I was born in Vancouver, believe me, I've ridden the property trend a bit the past 2.5 decades, but I never lived in my investments. In BC it just means paying more transfer tax and closing costs, but meh, why actually move my crap around?
I think they bought them pre-construction and timed the completion based off phases.
I honestly thought it was strange too... maybe I will ask them next time I see them lol.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
oh ha ok.

and yes, as you noted, Oakville is definitely part of the GTA
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:12 pm

I think they bought them pre-construction and timed the completion based off phases.
I honestly thought it was strange too... maybe I will ask them next time I see them lol.
Yea, you can do that too... but then you wouldn't move until completed... but why bother? Just flip it before it completes and leverage the capital to borrow for 2x the properties next round... I mean, the ratios are very different than when I did this (90's) but principle the same. The local Canadian bank laws are just that, for locals. =P

Fintrac are my friends
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:15 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
@DrunkCargo - you must really love the new speculation tax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.