Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm thinking about having some better-than-marker-on-sticker name tags done up for April 2 2018 AC 739 YYZ-SFO in-flight do

I don't know what a good style is. Stickers tend to work well because they go on anything, whereas a clip doesn't work as well on a t-shirt. Pin-backed tags can make holes, etc. I guess a lanyard could work too?

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm thinking about having some better-than-marker-on-sticker name tags done up for April 2 2018 AC 739 YYZ-SFO in-flight do

I don't know what a good style is. Stickers tend to work well because they go on anything, whereas a clip doesn't work as well on a t-shirt. Pin-backed tags can make holes, etc. I guess a lanyard could work too?

Any suggestions?
nothing says classy like bright, FT yellow t-shirts and these!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
If only group project grades are allocated by the amount of work each member had done, LOL.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
If only group project grades are allocated by the amount of work each member had done, LOL.
If people fill out that contribution table honestly. When I was in second year I herad there was literally a fight about filling contribution table. Someone I know put 100% for herself and 0% for her partner, her partner crossed out everything then wrote down the opposite, and the drama began.

I had 3 groups where the contribution was like 90% vs 10% or worse.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by songsc
If people fill out that contribution table honestly. When I was in second year I herad there was literally a fight about filling contribution table. Someone I know put 100% for herself and 0% for her partner, her partner crossed out everything then wrote down the opposite, and the drama began.

I had 3 groups where the contribution was like 90% vs 10% or worse.
Yeah half my group agreed 2/6 people were useless (I had to redo most of their work) but of course no one will agree to that. It really is a joke, why not ask each person to submit a sheet and look at it.

Hated group work. Now of course it’s so much better at work because no one freeloads
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Sometimes group projects are about getting the job done, not getting recognition for your share. Carrying the dead-weight is also a valuable real-world skill.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by smallmj
Sometimes group projects are about getting the job done, not getting recognition for your share. Carrying the dead-weight is also a valuable real-world skill.
Yeah, for those that are good. It’s also how some real
muppets graduate. Was amusing when we hired one of said muppets within my previous company.

He no longer works there.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by jc94
Yeah, for those that are good. It’s also how some real
muppets graduate. Was amusing when we hired one of said muppets within my previous company.

He no longer works there.
In my program, the muppets all disappeared during 3rd year - even with group work. Part of that was that the rest of us wouldn't work with them, so they ended up in a group together. It helped that we had the choice to work in groups of our own choice or solo. I can't imagine having to work with them in an assigned group.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:12 am

In my program, the muppets all disappeared during 3rd year - even with group work. Part of that was that the rest of us wouldn't work with them, so they ended up in a group together. It helped that we had the choice to work in groups of our own choice or solo. I can't imagine having to work with them in an assigned group.
Right. I am talking about assigned groups.
At least two of the guys in my team were competent, one was poor, two were useless. I think one was on his 10th year (year 2 of the course).

But as a foreign student someone was paying full cost for him to attend so the school didn’t care.

It says something that my first year had over 300 students and 80 made graduation. My personal favourite was the guy who failed year 1 Java with 5%. 15% of the exam was True / False questions.

God I’m glad to be done with all that.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:22 am

I never had assigned groups in University, though my wife did in the M.Ed. course she took last fall. She was lucky, since there was one really useless person in the class.

My daughter described a group she worked with in a High School art course in an interesting way last week. She was the ideas person, another girl was really good at cutting things out for a collage, and the third was moral support.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That seems to suggest quality over quantity. I've worked with two types of people that break this assumption:

1. Negative productivity. I had to spend 30 minutes explaining to someone how to do a task I knew would take me 4 hours, but given that I was intimately familiar with the codebase, and he was brand new (to the codebase, not to software/Java/Android/the company), I knew it would take him longer. He spent 4 days, and did it in such a bad way I had to rip it out and rewrite it. I probably spent 6 hours in total on this, for work that would have taken me 4 hours without the other guy. Technically he did 4 days and I did 6 hours. But the end result was the same as if he hadn't been there and I'd spent 4 hours on it. How would you fill out your contribution table?

2. What do you do when you can work 10x faster with equal or better quality? They stay up late, putting in 80 hours, and I do it in a day. It sure looks like I'm not working as hard (because I'm not), but the tasks were evenly split.

I remember one course at UW. Group projects. For the first project, I worked with a guy I didn't really know. I ended up doing 90% of the work. Whatever. For the second project, I just didn't talk to him. I worked on it all myself, submitted it early (with just one name), and then the night before it was due, he messaged me and asked when we were going to work on it. I said I'd already finished and submitted it. He was not happy at all. But 6 months later I received an email from him apologizing about the whole situation. So some people do learn.

In middle school, there was a project where I did virtually none of the work. I felt bad enough about it that it never happened again.
knotseh likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K
Jack - i'm excited for you to get into the workforce! Watch your views change as you become jaded from all the amazing people everywhere

That seems to suggest quality over quantity. I've worked with two types of people that break this assumption:

1. Negative productivity. I had to spend 30 minutes explaining to someone how to do a task I knew would take me 4 hours, but given that I was intimately familiar with the codebase, and he was brand new (to the codebase, not to software/Java/Android/the company), I knew it would take him longer. He spent 4 days, and did it in such a bad way I had to rip it out and rewrite it. I probably spent 6 hours in total on this, for work that would have taken me 4 hours without the other guy. Technically he did 4 days and I did 6 hours. But the end result was the same as if he hadn't been there and I'd spent 4 hours on it. How would you fill out your contribution table?

2. What do you do when you can work 10x faster with equal or better quality? They stay up late, putting in 80 hours, and I do it in a day. It sure looks like I'm not working as hard (because I'm not), but the tasks were evenly split.
hehe..... i know exactly how you feel. I guess you could say as long as they get the job done? But then you had to re-do it again.....
I'm not a manager...yet....but as a manager, I always wonder what they do in these sorta situations? Most of the time - i've seen them do nothing.....

I remember one course at UW. Group projects. For the first project, I worked with a guy I didn't really know. I ended up doing 90% of the work. Whatever. For the second project, I just didn't talk to him. I worked on it all myself, submitted it early (with just one name), and then the night before it was due, he messaged me and asked when we were going to work on it. I said I'd already finished and submitted it. He was not happy at all. But 6 months later I received an email from him apologizing about the whole situation. So some people do learn.

In middle school, there was a project where I did virtually none of the work. I felt bad enough about it that it never happened again.
I wish more people would learn...
pewpew likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Happy 3.14159 day.

ffsim and knotseh like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I do that. It is not impossible. I don't ask students to "rate" each other, but I ask them what each member of the group did. Group members should not be duplicating the exact same contribution and differences are expected, and some people rate different kinds of contributions as "less", simply because they don't know what goes into it. However, I tend to find the the students who cannot describe what others did are also the same people who are described by others as "didn't do much" and I do give them lower marks on the group project.
Groupwork is so important - as others have said, learning how to peer-motivate someone is a skill you will need to use much more (not less) in the wage-slave world. "Just" getting dinged on a project because someone let you down is trivial compared to getting laid off because your product is discontinued or not getting your annual bonus because a colleague F'd up.
I would also add that in one class where I did it all, I also was much better prepared for the exam because I had done everything, not just parts of it. It's not always a downside to being the person that does more.
quantumofforce likes this.

Last edited by flyquiet; Mar 14, 2018 at 12:44 pm Reason: clarity
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:47 pm

If someone does such a bad job that I have to do the entire thing again I rank it as they did 0%. If they do an okay job, I'll be more lenient. But only up to the point I'm not spending > 4h reviewing and fixing their code.

This is a key point, and I've been in conversations about hours where we basically said we don't care that x works more hours than y because x is less efficient than y. x tends to be paid less until their learn to be more efficient.
If someone is new (to the project) they should not have to work stay late, the work should be split. Personally when I split work I take complexity and hours into account. Recently I had 65 small tasks and only one other person free so I took 35 and gave them 30 because I was able to get it done faster.

It's not just doing 90% of the work. It's being the person to compile everything and getting 80% of the work 2-3 days before it's due and then getting some of it 10pm the night before it's due and finding it was so bad I had to re-do it overnight or the entire project would have gotten a lower grade affecting me directly. Given this happened more than once, they clearly did not learn. My only somewhat harsh thought here is how they'd be in for a rude awakening at many companies. I give everyone a chance and I'll protect good employees as much as I can, but my patience has limits. I define good as one who tries hard, I've had good employees who struggled but at least they weren't lazy.

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I do that. It is not impossible. I don't ask students to "rate" each other, but I ask them what each member of the group did. Group members should not be duplicating the exact same contribution and differences are expected, and some people rate different kinds of contributions as "less", simply because they don't know what goes into it. However, I tend to find the the students who cannot describe what others did are also the same people who are described by others as "didn't do much" and I do give them lower marks on the group project.
Groupwork is so important - as others have said, learning how to peer-motivate someone is a skill you will need to use much more (not less) in the wage-slave world. "Just" getting dinged on a project because someone let you down is trivial compared to getting laid off because your product is discontinued or not getting your annual bonus because a colleague F'd up.
I would also add that in one class where I did it all, I also was much better prepared for the exam because I had done everything, not just parts of it. It's not always a downside to being the person that does more.
I feel asking the group to submit, as part of the final project a list declaring the work everyone did totalling 600% and signed by all team members is a completely useless approach as no-one with a brain is going to sign off < 100%. The approach you describe is more work, but better.
So I blame lazy professors. While an argument could be made that they were trying to emulate the real world be having everything contribute knowing people would do different amounts I just don't buy that being realistic or comparable. Besides in work it's normally exceedingly obvious whom the good and bad performers are.

Yes happy 3.141592654 day. Sadly that's by memory. #nerd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.