Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Interesting comment under Kate's column

farnorthtrader says:
November 15, 2019 at 2:10 pm

First Lins77, this is not just a first world problem, in the traditional sense of the phrase. This is not whining about not getting an upgrade (although there was mention of upgrade issues, but not the point of the post), it is about a complete shutdown of a booking system for a major piece of the Canadian transportation system. This is about people trying to get to business meetings, people trying to get to family emergencies and any number of other possibilities and there will be, in many cases, no other options.
Now to what I was actually going to write about before that silly comment caught my eye!
We will be flying Edmonton to Dubai (connecting in Toronto) on the 21st and I am concerned about what this might do to us. I left a 10 hour connection and 10 other possible routings that they could switch us to and still make our connection, but if our flight gets cancelled and they can’t move us to another that day, we are screwed. (yes, Lins77, in our case, this is a first world problem!)
For them to do it in the winter (in Canada), when there are very likely to be delays, misconnects and cancellations, seems ill planned. They are already unable to even put your calls into the hold queue much of the time, so I don’t imagine anybody will be getting through to them when this hits. Yesterday, I had to call them because they had somehow, because of a 9 minute schedule change, decided to leave 5 members of my family on the same flights, but to switch my flights to completely different ones. My first call was terminated because the hold queue was too long and they could not put anyone else into it. My second call (2 hours later) was picked up after roughly 75 minutes. This is pretty much the experience that everyone can expect all winter in Canada, so to add this mess to it doesn’t make much sense to me. I have to assume that on the 21st, if there are any problems, our only option will be at the airport and even that may not be of any use. September, October, April, May sure seem like better times to try this experiment.
I am not optimistic, since, like a poster above, even my connecting two flight itinerary is messed up in the AC system already, with the second flight as flight one and the first flight as flight 2. I have another trip for 6 of us to the Galapagos next summer that has ten segments in it (the one that I talked about in this comment) and 3 PNRs, and they are also in all sorts of weird order, but I am hoping that they will have it figured out by the end of June
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
I am not optimistic........but I am hoping that they will have it figured out by the end of June
^^^
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I haven't requalified for SE yet. Maybe i just shouldn't bother.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I haven't requalified for SE yet. Maybe i just shouldn't bother.
Depends how much flying you'll be doing. But you should read the post that yyznomad made today, in this thread
Air Canada Super Elite 100K: The Best Top-Tier Airline Elite Status (Nov 9 2019)
Nitehawk and WaytoomuchEurope like this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Concierges will be able to manually clear upgrades for VIP and SE at the gate.

They will also have to deduct the credits manually.

I'm not sure how this will work at hubs, but I'm now much less concerned about HKG-YVR.
pilot007 and run&fly like this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:19 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They will also have to deduct the credits manually.
Wow. We are going to return to the electronic equivalent of the old cards and stickers that us fossils used back in the day.
zrh2yvr and canadiancow like this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:16 pm

Was reading the OMAAT article. So SE travel companions on the same booking will not be getting complimentary preferred seating.
Anyone know if this is a permanent enhancement or just temporary given the Amadeus switch?
Still waiting on 2020 Program deets *sigh*...
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by hydrogen
Was reading the OMAAT article. So SE travel companions on the same booking will not be getting complimentary preferred seating.
Anyone know if this is a permanent enhancement or just temporary given the Amadeus switch?
Still waiting on 2020 Program deets *sigh*...
Temporary. Everything stupid is temporary.
ecc likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: *G
Has there been any mention of changes in how bidding for upgrades and LMUs will be handled during the transition?
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Concierges will be able to manually clear upgrades for VIP and SE at the gate.
Did I miss this somewhere, or is this from your own sources? I’ll be relieved if that’s the case because it means I’ll be able to do SDC and still eUpgrade.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by pilot007
Did I miss this somewhere, or is this from your own sources? I’ll be relieved if that’s the case because it means I’ll be able to do SDC and still eUpgrade.
My own sources.

But again, there's a huge difference between HKG and YYZ. There's always a concierge at the gate in the former.
pilot007 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K
My own sources.

But again, there's a huge difference between HKG and YYZ. There's always a concierge at the gate in the former.
Ah, so you mean that would require a concierge at the gate? So I can't call up the concierge line, do an SDC and then eUpgrade, because it won't clear, right?

Last edited by pilot007; Nov 16, 2019 at 5:05 am Reason: fix typo
Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by pilot007
Ah, so you mean that would require a concierge at the gate? So I can't call up the concierge line, so an SDC and then eUpgrade, because it won't clear, right?
I don't know how it's going to work.

It just seems like upgrades being processed in a call center are a recipe for disaster for gate agents.
pilot007 and SparseFlyer like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 22, 2020 at 10:28 am
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:45 am

I am a bit concerned about the preferred seat issue for travelling companions. Has this already started?
I am taking the family home to Alberta for the holidays I have two small children. It is a rouge flights so we absolutely need the bulkheads seats.
As a SE100k it seems silly they want me to shell out a few hundred bucks for 4 preferred seats.

Anyone know how long this will last? If I book pre Nov 18 will I have access to preferred seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.