Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yeah I'd be furious if this were SFO-YYZ. But this is SLIGHTLY longer than that. By a factor of ~3.

Absolutely and yes, your trip is farther by a not-insginificant factor. But still...

.....Sounds like you need to find a better nominee
Well, you know him and he's the best. I also know he appreciates my oft-repeated suggestions to use more of my credits.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Yikes, my final upgradeable long haul flight's window opens just ahead of the migration. It looks like I'll need to be Johnny on the spot quick with this one. I can't even afford to be an hour late.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: AC SE
This is a gem of a sentence from the email AC just sent about all this: “You will not be able to request upgrades at the airport, and unfortunately we cannot guarantee that upgrades which were not cleared prior to check‑in will not be processed at the gate, even if seat is available.”
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
This is a gem of a sentence from the email AC just sent about all this: “You will not be able to request upgrades at the airport, and unfortunately we cannot guarantee that upgrades which were not cleared prior to check‑in will not be processed at the gate, even if seat is available.”
Yup, see Cow's post 177 from earlier today.

In other news.....still waiting for my email.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by 24left
Yup, see Cow's post 177 from earlier today.

In other news.....still waiting for my email.
This is actually different. Try reading the sentence out loud to see if you can decipher it.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
This is actually different. Try reading the sentence out loud to see if you can decipher it.
Yup. They can't guarantee upgrades will not be processed.

Which means they may be processed, right?

Regardless, I'm glad they gave us a lot of notice. I'm still waiting for my email, but my flight is in less than 9 days.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:26 pm

Yup. They can't guarantee upgrades will not be processed.

Which means they may be processed, right?.
which means valued *A Gold elites like myself and rankourabu will be among the first to be upgraded at the gate on our klassy K fares
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
which means valued *A Gold elites like myself and rankourabu will be among the first to be upgraded at the gate on our klassy K fares
No?

You've never been ahead of AC*G, and that will continue to be the case.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:26 pm

No?

We’ll see what Amadeus has to say about that!
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
No?

Maybe not officially, but seemed like lots of tag-displaying AC elites (maybe they were all last year's tags, I wouldnt know) walked to the back at least on two of my E190 opups.

For anyone that has never dealt with the functionality of MANAGE MY BOOKING with A3, TP or LO - you will be longing for the days AC did not use Amadeus!
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Over the next few months while we update our airport systems

The next few months? I can't remember the last time I cleared before the gate on an International flight. What a mess, ugh.

Hopefully my flights happen on time ish Monday morning? Double ugh.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW

The next few months? I can't remember the last time I cleared before the gate on an International flight. What a mess, ugh.

Well they did say they'd be more proactive about clearing things earlier until this is resolved. I've seen J9 R0 flights with a dozen people clearing at the gate. If they clear it down to J2 at T-24, it's not too bad.

But I'll be very annoyed if I'm in PY and there are empty J seats.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum Elite
This is as cow said, unacceptable. I’m waitlisted for J on AC875 on 11/26. It’s J7 so I’m confident under normal circumstances that I would clear at the gate, as I’m on a B fare and SE, but now I’m almost thinking since O is wide open I might want to withdraw my J request and upgrade into O instead... but there’s the what if game - what if I would’ve cleared into J??
bah - what a joke.
interested to see what ppl actually experience post Nov 18.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Maybe not officially, but seemed like lots of tag-displaying AC elites (maybe they were all last year's tags, I wouldnt know) walked to the back at least on two of my E190 opups.

For anyone that has never dealt with the functionality of MANAGE MY BOOKING with A3, TP or LO - you will be longing for the days AC did not use Amadeus!
I have not had the pleasure of dealing with A3, TP or LO but could imagine it being challenging, especially how hard it is to even book a flight with TP. This raises an interesting question, what options did AC have in choosing a reservation system? Obviously the elephants in the room are Sabre and Amadeus, but are there other res platforms airlines use that could deal with the many challenges (i.e. direct flights, and leap years which I hear crop up from time to time) that AC has whilst giving them the flexibility they need to offer the various programs they offer from FP and eUpgrades to bid upgrade? I would also be curious why they didn't choose SHARES which is by far a better system than RES III or Amadeus (i.e. UA could implement ConnectionSaver because they had control over that platform).

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW

It is somewhat surprising that for a project of this scale why they cannot roll everything out in the matter of days and weeks not months and quarters? Surely in any big IT project like this one planning would have already been done and the relevant equipment purchased for them to start going into airports and upgrading things. Surely Amadeus has highly specialized teams that could even do this for AC if their IT team is busy getting Flight Pass to work

Well they did say they'd be more proactive about clearing things earlier until this is resolved. I've seen J9 R0 flights with a dozen people clearing at the gate. If they clear it down to J2 at T-24, it's not too bad.

But I'll be very annoyed if I'm in PY and there are empty J seats.
Having no upgrades clear till the gate is insane, doubly so if you're in a J9 situation. Other airlines, like UA are generally good about clearing upgrades having their elite travellers clear into J at time of booking or worst case a couple days prior to departure. Yes, there still are occasions where there'll be a couple seats left in the front cabin which is determined at the gate. But from my experience that tends to be quite rare, particularly on medium haul domestic flights like New York to Heathrow.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Having no upgrades clear till the gate is insane, doubly so if you're in a J9 situation. Other airlines, like UA are generally good about clearing upgrades having their elite travellers clear into J at time of booking or worst case a couple days prior to departure. Yes, there still are occasions where there'll be a couple seats left in the front cabin which is determined at the gate. But from my experience that tends to be quite rare, particularly on medium haul domestic flights like New York to Heathrow.
It's not "no upgrades".

And it doesn't matter what UA does under normal operations, as this is not UA or normal operations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.