Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:30 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by tajee165
Ask for SE help. They weren’t able to put me on hold but after a SE friend called in using his AP #, literally 10 minute wait.
While I appreciate the cluster that is the current situation at AC, suggestions like this are a contributing factor as to why SEs are sometimes facing ridiculous wait times. It also places the AC agents in an uncomfortable situation as well.

Other opinions are available no doubt.
24left likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Indeed, k8 might be a magical solution to scale up iff [sic] a bunch of other architectural design choices allow it. I shouldn't say I know they use k8 in production, just that they do, and that could well be a 10 year redesign project.

Your iff part is the key. It isn't "K8s magic" it is a an orchestration platform, architecture choices, an underlying PaaS, etc. in combination that allow some flexibility. If they containerize a legacy application in to some datacenter you're not going to get some scaling magic for free, and in fact your problems are probably going to be even worse before you started with K8s. And that is pretty much going to be the case here. There isn't come magic cavalry coming to solve problems for AC IT.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by BarrieTravelGuy
Ok... so looks like an issue specific to my account.
Regarding an inability to add Payment Information, I have the same issue. Despite my Flight Pass claiming I have a payment card on file, my profile shows no such thing.

Attempting to add and save payment information results in the following error message:

"We are temporarily unable to process your request. Please try again later. (81005)".

Temporary in this case means since migration and AC saying it was "business as usual".
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I've been trying to monitor the situation with Aeroplan seeing as I'd like to book a flight with individual segments.

Are there any recent DPs on whether or not an Aeroplan agent is able to do this now?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW

Your iff part is the key. It isn't "K8s magic" it is a an orchestration platform, architecture choices, an underlying PaaS, etc. in combination that allow some flexibility. If they containerize a legacy application in to some datacenter you're not going to get some scaling magic for free, and in fact your problems are probably going to be even worse before you started with K8s. And that is pretty much going to be the case here. There isn't come magic cavalry coming to solve problems for AC IT.
Well, yes there is. There is cavalry named Amadeus whose platform is well established and proven out with other customers - some of whom are larger than AC. Amadeus knows how to scale their platform

The quality of AC data, and the ability to program Amadeus are different questions, but the problem is not "scale".
RatherBeInYOW likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by TeaLow
I've been trying to monitor the situation with Aeroplan seeing as I'd like to book a flight with individual segments.

Are there any recent DPs on whether or not an Aeroplan agent is able to do this now?
@TeaLow
For examples, see posts 837 and 865.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by TeaLow

It really depends whether the airlines in the itinerary you want to book use "Married Segment Control" and/or "Journey Data" [you can google these terms +Amadeus to read more] (these are selling points that sales reps at Amadeus probably use when pushing their "Revenue Management Tools" to their airline customers) for award inventory.

Read more at:

https://amadeus.com/en/portfolio/air...egment-control

https://amadeus.com/en/portfolio/airlines/journey-data

With AC's old RESIII system, it appears that due to technical limitations, Married Segment Logic from other carriers is not carried over, thus allowing you to book journeys on a segment by segment basis.

With Married Segment Logic, the availability of a second (usually connecting) sector depends on the previous sector.

Eg.

Available Individually ONLINE (using individual queries):
YVR-FRA LH I "Yes"
FRA-BOM LH I "Yes"

However, if booked by agent in two entries:
AN12DECYVRFRA/ALH
YVR-FRA LH I "YES"
SS1I1
YVR-FRA LH I "Confirmed"

AN13DECFRABOM/ALH
FRA-BOM LH I "No" (might sometimes show as "yes")
SS1I1
FRA-BOM LH I "Unable to Confirm"

When searched as one query "YVR-BOM, CONNECTING FRA":
AN12DECYVRBOM/XFRA/ALH
YVR-FRA LH I "No"
FRA-BOM LH I "No"

If you are lucky "YVR-BOM, CONNECTING FRA":
AN15DECYVRBOM/XFRA/ALH
YVR-FRA LH I "Yes"
FRA-BOM LH I "Yes"
Book as one entry "SS1I1I2" -> Confirmed!
24left and xanderz like this.

Last edited by daniellam; Nov 25, 2019 at 12:04 pm
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: A3, AC
Is the "Change Flight" button broken as a result of the Amadeus move? Worked fine prior to the move, and even after the move it allowed me to click on it. Now on that same booking it's grayed out and tells me to call Reservations.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Regarding an inability to add Payment Information, I have the same issue. Despite my Flight Pass claiming I have a payment card on file, my profile shows no such thing.

Attempting to add and save payment information results in the following error message:

"We are temporarily unable to process your request. Please try again later. (81005)".

Temporary in this case means since migration and AC saying it was "business as usual".

I just tried to add my payment info on the AC site... same error message as you.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On hold with SE desk. 30 minutes and counting
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:06 pm

Another DP regarding e-ups.

Just tried to upgrade a FP flight booked before the migration.

Couldn't do it from either the FP page or from the list on the My Bookings page. In both cases the message was that it wasn't eligible for upgrade, which is incorrect.

(As an aside, the site also reported the fare as Economy Lowest as opposed to Flex M, which is what it really is. So something ain't right.)

So, instead I typed in my PNR and name into the "Retrieve Booking" box (despite the same PNR being on the bookings list on this page) and, lo and behold, the resulting page shows the right fare class and lets me upgrade. Here's the relevant content:

Dunno why it should make a difference but for those having e-up issues online maybe just try the same 'trick' of entering your new PNR into the Retrieve Booking form and see what happens.

Completely bonkers though.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Dunno why it should make a difference but for those having e-up issues online maybe just try the same 'trick' of entering your new PNR into the Retrieve Booking form and see what happens.

Completely bonkers though.
This also works with "lost" Aeroplan bookings. It will also spit out the new PNR when entering the old Aeroplan PNR (which it somehow still recognizes). I tried this recently for all of my upcoming AP bookings and it worked like a charm (not upgrading, but to your point about the "Retrieve Booking" form). There's other stuff I've also managed to "overcome" with quirky roundabout methods. Just too lazy to post all the details and provide screenshots.

So for now, I'm all good with all of my trips. I even had post migration AQMs and AQDs (for trips booked prior to migration) show up correctly on my Altitude account. I think I've got horseshoes, but they might be running out shortly, methinks.
*knock on wood*
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:12 pm

While I appreciate the cluster that is the current situation at AC, suggestions like this are a contributing factor as to why SEs are sometimes facing ridiculous wait times. It also places the AC agents in an uncomfortable situation as well.

Other opinions are available no doubt.
Frankly, AC agents' comfort is the least of my concerns. It is absolutely appalling that this situation even exists. I can't think of a single instance where it would take days to get through to anyone at any company. Even DMV has better customer service.
And I would not try to call if the website worked in the first place. All I am trying to do is to book JFK-ZUR-KBP. Both flights are available but the engine won't piece them together. When I did get through last week, the rep said he could do it, I just needed to transfer the miles. And the game began...
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by stevento
Even DMV has better customer service.
Truer words were never spoken. And at least the DMV knows what they are doing.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Prior to the upgrade window, after the window opened and after the agent manually cleared the upgrade, this is what I saw on my booking.

Like @Bohemian1 , my upgraded trip page now has this message.

I get the 3rd comment that we may have already received the upgrade. Well, then don't include it under a red-colored alert button that says

Upgrade not available

We're sorry, it appears none of the flights in your itinerary are eligible for an upgrade:

followed by point 3, that you may have already received a confirmed upgrade.....

Try not to confuse people with mixed messages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.