Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by trek604
I assume eups would be affected then?
I would assume that if your upgrade is not "confirmed" prior to the reservations "blackout" period, any further upgrade clearance would be done in the DCS at the airport once check-in opens.
D582 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by YYT82
12 hours blackout period is what I was told. I'm going to do a SDC at the airport to see if it's possible, or if it will break horribly.
12 hours of black out is a very very very long time for airport / reservations operations.

Are you sure it's confirmed for full 12h? I thought I read up thread it's scheduled for 2, but up to 12 allocated just in case.

12 hours of reservations potentially going to OALs is a lot of money.
D582 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
12 hours of black out is a very very very long time for airport / reservations operations.

Are you sure it's confirmed for full 12h? I thought I read up thread it's scheduled for 2, but up to 12 allocated just in case.

12 hours of reservations potentially going to OALs is a lot of money.
Airport operations are unaffected.

For passengers who desperately need to travel last minute at the most expensive fare, they can always show up at the airport and fly as a "Go Show" (no reservation) passenger. They just get listed in DCS without a reservation. Whether AC will actually allow this is another story.
D582 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by daniellam
Airport operations are unaffected.

For passengers who desperately need to travel last minute at the most expensive fare, they can always show up at the airport and fly as a "Go Show" (no reservation) passenger. They just get listed in DCS without a reservation. Whether AC will actually allow this is another story.
Is this the same as "GOSHO"? If so, I thought that was related to the flat tire rule. (I'm genuinely curious)
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Is this the same as "GOSHO"? If so, I thought that was related to the flat tire rule. (I'm genuinely curious)
Yes. Gosho.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Success? Rollout? Polaris was abandoned before it ever went into use and AC swallowed a big loss in the process. More here.
Sorry for triggering a few on here ! Haven't they been trying to replace RES 3 since the early 2000's ?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Sorry for triggering a few on here ! Haven't they been trying to replace RES 3 since the early 2000's ?
Yup :-)

I even remember sending a message (DM) on Twitter as a concerned passenger to the Amadeus asking their sales team to reach out to Air Canada a couple years ago!
Old Nov 9, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
The transition starts on the 18th. I purposely booked my flights for that week to see what breaks the system.
The evening of the 18th, n’est ce pas? I’m flying in the morning.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:55 pm

Success? Rollout? Polaris was abandoned before it ever went into use and AC swallowed a big loss in the process. More here.
If you want to look at it from a business project standpoint then sure it was a failure - money down the drain. On the other hand, it was possibly also a great low risk learning experience for the IT team on how not to do a roll out. In terms of operational impact, I can't see any. As far as I can tell no flights were impacted by this project.

The transition starts on the 18th. I purposely booked my flights for that week to see what breaks the system.
Here's to hoping you luck into some IDB compensation and are rebooked into a generous fare code

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Originally Posted by daniellam
Yup :-)

I even remember sending a message (DM) on Twitter as a concerned passenger to the Amadeus asking their sales team to reach out to Air Canada a couple years ago!
Be careful what you wish for...you might actually get it! If someone could explain to me what prey tell is the issue with RES3 in general. Compared to the likes of other airline's IT systems it seems to be doing well. When was the last time RES3 fell over and left a group of travellers stranded? Sure the new Amadeus system may fix a couple shortcomings in the existing system but it may also break other things. Only time will tell...
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso

Here's to hoping you luck into some IDB compensation and are rebooked into a generous fare code

Not likely if the airport you are departing from has also transitioned to Amadeus Altea Customer Management (the DCS side)! There's a built in feature called "Transfer" which is used to move passengers to another flight in IRROPs. The underlying reservation remains untouched in this process.

Note: LH uses the same system, and when upgrades are processed within the DCS, the new boarding pass still shows the original fare code (eg. Y, B, H, V, Q etc.) but with a new seat assignment in Business Class.
D582 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
If someone could explain to me what prey tell is the issue with RES3 in general. Compared to the likes of other airline's IT systems it seems to be doing well. When was the last time RES3 fell over and left a group of travellers stranded? Sure the new Amadeus system may fix a couple shortcomings in the existing system but it may also break other things. Only time will tell...
RESIII is a essentially a homegrown system that has been developed over time for AC (Originally based on BABS - (British Airways Booking System)) . AC is the only one using it, and that means any new requirements are custom (and expensive) development work. It has had various components from the major GDS providers (Amadeus, Sabre, Travelport etc.) integrated into it. Does it "work"... yes. Does it work the best it could... no, not by a long shot.

Amadeus Altea is a hosted system that is fully supported. Almost all of AC's *A (notable exception is UA) and major interline partners use it. The advantages of this are huge, as Altea is 'shared' system and all carriers involved in a reservation use the same PNR (no shadow copies or sync issues) - this is why you will see the same record locator for Amadeus carriers. The DCS system is also much more flexible and easier to use (AC has to use Sabre Qik overlays for reservations and DCS in order to allow for any shed of agent productivity).

This is something long overdue for AC and although there may be a few bumps in transition, it will be worth it in the end for them.
ffsim, canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by D582
Amadeus Altea is a hosted system that is fully supported. Almost all of AC's *A (notable exception is UA) and major interline partners use it. The advantages of this are huge, as Altea is 'shared' system and all carriers involved in a reservation use the same PNR (no shadow copies or sync issues) - this is why you will see the same record locator for Amadeus carriers. The DCS system is also much more flexible and easier to use (AC has to use Sabre Qik overlays for reservations and DCS in order to allow for any shed of agent productivity).
Does this mean once and for all I’ll be able to select seats on an Aeroplan res with segments flown by * partners like I can already do on UA? What about being able to check for cash confirmed upgrade offers between booking and OLCI like I can on LH and UA? As a (for now) UA frequent flyer I would be curious to see how well the system meshes with SHARES their res system and whether baggage handling will operate smoothly, although that might be a question best posed for another thread
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
If you want to look at it from a business project standpoint then sure it was a failure - money down the drain. On the other hand, it was possibly also a great low risk learning experience for the IT team on how not to do a roll out. In terms of operational impact, I can't see any. As far as I can tell no flights were impacted by this project.
Of course no flights were affected since the system was never adopted. Sorry but it was an IT debacle with no upsides or positive spin.

Originally Posted by D582
This is something long overdue for AC and although there may be a few bumps in transition, it will be worth it in the end for them.

Agree a new res. system is needed but will see how smooth the transition will be.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Does this mean once and for all I’ll be able to select seats on an Aeroplan res with segments flown by * partners like I can already do on UA? What about being able to check for cash confirmed upgrade offers between booking and OLCI like I can on LH and UA? As a (for now) UA frequent flyer I would be curious to see how well the system meshes with SHARES their res system and whether baggage handling will operate smoothly, although that might be a question best posed for another thread
The first is already possible online. Could be easier but it’s certainly possible.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:46 am

Agree a new res. system is needed but will see how smooth the transition will be.
I've still got a Canadian Airlines Empress lounge pass on this being an absolute nothing burger

Originally Posted by ridefar
The first is already possible online. Could be easier but it’s certainly possible.
This is what I get when I try selecting seats on a UA segment in an Aeroplan itinerary:

Meanwhile UA will happily let me select seats on an AC flight on a UA itinerary.

Again it will be interesting to see how Amadeus improves the existing reservation experience for us frequent travellers. If it means more services available and fewer calls to the reservation desk that would be great. I for one, would like to see the ability to search for a specific fare code (i.e. just show me G fares) since that is more helpful for milage accrual than Flex which may ticket into an A fare and only earn 25% RDM on UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.