Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Super Elite 100K: The Best Top-Tier Airline Elite Status (Nov 9 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Super Elite 100K: The Best Top-Tier Airline Elite Status (Nov 9 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My experience with a couple years of airport numbers was that it was much more common they just didn't pick up.

There may be a hold with central, but I've never had it go to voicemail.

The real issue is people using the concierge for things that can be done by anyone. Concierge should not be your first or second or third contact when you're in a hub.

And they should actively reject requests for anything that isn't within 24 hours. I know they've been spending a lot of time on things like booking Aeroplan tickets for people.
True.
But a lot of this is created by AC. Some of their agents incl on the SE line are not able to process requests because they do not understand it. And if the website and call center could handle more stuff then there would be less need to call the concierge. In fact I have been told to call the concierge when I have called the SE number for simple stuff - they said that since its less than 24hrs I should call the concierge. I hardly speak to the concierge unless I really need their help.
It is also AC marketing the concierge as a huge perk - so cannot blame their customers for maximizing it.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
The real issue is people using the concierge for things that can be done by anyone. Concierge should not be your first or second or third contact when you're in a hub.
I find this amusing. If I land from US / INTL in YYZ and I've misconnected or am trying to get on an earlier flight I can:
  1. Try going to whatever gate for the flight I am on or trying to get on to (earlier, missed connection, or whatever), if possible. Unfortunately there is frequently only a single GA working up until about 2 mins before boarding, and I've been told multiple times by gate agents to go away.
  2. Go to the lounge. Where I have been told multiple times by lounge agents to go away.
  3. Go to the transfer desk by the escalator up from the bus arrival, where I can get in to what is sometimes a very lengthy lineup, even with the "priority" shortcut. If you see more than 2 agents working at that desk it is unusual, and all it takes is one cancelled or badly delayed flight somewhere in YYZ DOM and there can be 20+ people in line. Although sometimes there is nobody in line.
  4. Call the concierge. I am day of travel and what I need from them (putting me on a flight to YOW) will take maybe 3 minutes.
I'm SE mid travel. Am I really not supposed to be reaching for option #4 ? Isn't this the benefit we're supposed to get, and what the referenced article is singing the praises of?

Although actually now with the AC cafe, it has an agent working at the little desk inside, usually. Maybe that is option #5 now and the one I should go for first? Should I just start running around YYZ DOM looking for an agent who isn't busy and is willing to help me out?

And they should actively reject requests for anything that isn't within 24 hours. I know they've been spending a lot of time on things like booking Aeroplan tickets for people.
The IVR on the concierge line asks you if you are currently travelling before it rings though. I assume they use this to prioritize the calls?
pilot007 and EliteRiffraff like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete
EliteRiffraff likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 8:24 pm
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you say no, it transfers you to reservations. But you're assuming people always answer that honestly.

And no, I don't mean don't ever call the concierge.

If you land early and want to get on an earlier connection, sure, call the concierge while taxiing.

But I've seen people call for things basically the equivalent of "can you put me on standby for xyz" when they're at the gate and the GA isn't busy.

Call the concierge if it's the only option, but for a huge subset of their requests, they often aren't even the fastest option.

So many people have the attitude "I'm SE therefore I should never deal with anyone other than the concierge".

And this clogs the lines.
RatherBeInYOW likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:16 am
Suspended

And this clogs the lines.
So if I understand correctly what you are saying the problem is NOT Air Canada providing sufficient resources based on the SE AQD spend, the problem is that customers actually expect AC to deliver the service from Air Canada that they paid for?

So come clean canadiancow the rest of us should be shamed NOT to use the SE concierge service because how dare we clog the lines that we paid for?

Good luck, but I’m NOT ashamed of using what I pay for.

ps...and if I’m in the airport, I routinely will first ask for in-person service from whoever at AC that I encounter - but because they work at the airport. I must be wrong (sound familiar), so the moment I get any resistance, I say thank you, and I deal with my travel needs through the Concierge. Here we agree as you and I both know that shouldn’t be the way, but the reality is AC has a serious motivation problem at the front line, so why do you think the Concierge program was set up in the first place… To deal with the very problem you raise here... but now if the Concierge program is failing because AC hasn’t put sufficient resources to it, we are the fools for accepting this, and they get away with more false advertising.

In sum, don’t blame me for pointing out where the source of the problem really is 👎
RangerNS and EliteRiffraff like this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Nov 11, 2019 at 8:40 am
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by 24left
Just saw this on OMAAT. Some here know the writer of the column.

Also worth looking at the comments below the column as you'll recognize one name, or two.

https://onemileatatime.com/air-canada-super-elite-100k/

Mods - feel free to move/merge to another thread.
Note what Mr. Nasr said--now is that improving or "enhancing"?:

"Mark Nasr, Head of Aeroplan says:
November 9, 2019 at 3:16 pm
Thanks for the write-up, Kate! All true, and we look forward to improving these (and other tier) benefits with the Aeroplan relaunch next year!"

skybluesea and Adam Smith like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
For someone dropping down to peon status (read: anything lower than S100K ) this past year after having been SE for what seemed like a century, I can say that even with the changes to the concierge program (e.g. centralized, new poorly-trained hires, etc.), I still highly valued the service. This is more glaring now that I am taking care of my travel-related, fan-hitting issues, which has been much more stressful even for someone like me who knows the ins and outs... if I could engage the concierge for these matters, they would be taken care of a lot more efficiently and quickly than my DIY.

But yeah, UA is far, far better. Everyone should take their business there. Honkity honk wonka donk donk.
pilot007 and Yhztraveller like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by D582
It’s because they can’t see you as a DMM. Had that extra M been visible to them, I’m sure service would have been downgraded appropriately.
Lol
And when I reach DMMM, they'll just spit in my face and tell me to fly UA.
D582 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: AC50K 1 MM, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, Hertz 5*, NEXUS, BW Diamond Select, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
For someone dropping down to peon status (read: anything lower than S100K ) this past year after having been SE for what seemed like a century<snip>
I know the feeling. It really feels weird not to have SE status anymore. I still drop in the concierge folks just to say hi and they call me the 'fallen angel'. lol
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
What a puff piece. Did Air Canada pay them to write this article?
skybluesea likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by keitherson
What a puff piece. Did Air Canada pay them to write this article?
While I also disagree with a lot of the article, I can assure you it was not paid for.
ecc likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dealing with IRROPS day and night SE vs. The world

Right now dealing with IRROPS as an E75K 2MM.
When I was SE, everything was taken care of/resolved rather quickly, and I would barely have to lift a finger in a majority of cases.

I just spent 25 minutes on the phone to get "confirmed" on a later flight, with a nice J GTE BP now in hand.

When this happened to me as SE, I would get immediate repro and actual seat assignment. Oh and no phone call or wait required.

So take it from me, having been an SE for 14 years... I can tell you that there d@mn well is a difference.

If someone who has never been SE tells you that being SE is useless or worthless, and you believe them, then yeah go ahead and believe them while enjoy the perks once I'm back to SE. Because I've been there and know there is a marked difference to the lower tiers.

But what do I know. I'm just a FOTSG.
pilot007, sram, skybluesea and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:24 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
yyznomad I hope you are either gunning for SE again this year or flying more United instead, as you sometimes suggest.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:28 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 22, 2020 at 10:28 am
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
There are numerous posts and threads on this forum comparing AC SE with UA Premier Elite !K benefits.

Many of the posts by those having both statuses have suggested that the UA !K status is superior.

But UA is (per many posts on the UA forum) decreasing some benefits for all status levels in its programs.

So for next year - how would you compare the 2 statuses? I guess that it still is a big thing potentially getting free automatic upgrades on domestic (?also transborder) flights. I understand that UA MIleage Plus K members have some reciprocal benefits with LH than AC SEs do not enjoy?

The first thing I noticed when quickly reading the changes - foreign based UA Mileage Plus customers must now spend the equivalent of what AC calls AQDs to attain/retain such status -it is not clear to me what such requirements compare with US based Mileage Plus customers.

PS-does AC Altitude members living outside of Canada get an AQD discount to attain/retain each Altitude status compared to Altitude members residing in Canada?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.