Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
As per AC Signature Suite page - July 2, 2021

* Air Canada Signature Class customers travelling on an Air Canada-operated flight (to Europe, Asia and South America) originally booked and ticketed in the following booking classes will be eligible for access to the Air Canada Signature Suite: J, C, D, Z, P. Only Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Flexible Reward or a First Class Flexible Reward in J, C, D, Z, P, I booking classes are eligible for access. All bookings in R class (including, but not limited to, eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, and AC Bid Upgrades), Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Lowest Reward or a First Class Lowest Reward, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, Business Class flight rewards booked and ticketed by partner airlines, and I (including Star Alliance Upgrade Awards), as well as bookings made during irregular operations where the customer was not originally booked and confirmed in one of the eligible booking classes, will be excluded. Eligible customers may not invite guests. Access to the Air Canada Signature Suite is not available to customers travelling on promotional tickets or employees.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/premium-services/signature-suite.html

canadiancow's photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/0nui9iIVxRH5nczi1

Video of Signature Suite along with menus and food shots. https://youtu.be/QDdKM735n3k
Print Wikipost

New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It was a mistake fare. I booked three. It's an anomaly in the sense that of the millions of published fares, most aren't like this. But intercontinental J on AC at under 10 US cents per mile is a very regular occurrence. 5 US cents per mile occurs at least annually on routes that are worth my time to book.

But that's exactly my point. AC doesn't even want these fares to exist. They certainly don't want me in the SS on them. But they made their rules simple, so I'm allowed in.

In general, these access requirements do what they want. They're simple to understand ("Buy business class on Air Canada and you have access"), and generally only available on expensive tickets. They're not available on all expensive tickets (full O/Y come to mind), and they're not only available on expensive tickets (see my above example), but it's a SIMPLE way of limiting access.

If they could let in every MM who has spent over 5 million lifetime dollars on AC, I'm sure they would. But that data is hard (or impossible) to get, and hard to communicate.

I've seen more people get turned away from the SS then I've watched enter (bearing in mind I was't standing at the door all day watching - this was just what happened in front of me). But at least it's simple. "You didn't buy business class, you upgraded" or "You didn't buy business class, you used miles" or "You're not flying Air Canada".

I bet if they started allowing SEs in, it would take all of 48 hours before someone came here whining that their guest was not allowed in. "I'm SE I should be allowed a guest".

Here's my proposal: SEs in paid J can guest one person in I class. Probably won't ever make a difference to me, but it solves the "legitimate" issue several have mentioned, where they buy J and fly their spouse on points.
I agree with everything you just said. How about that!

But you made a spelling error. A rare occurrence for you
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
Can we all agree that the SS entry policy is driven more by logistical concerns than lifetime customer value. There are probably >10k SEs floating around, any number of which may be flying internationally on a given day. On the other hand, AC knows exactly how many Intl J seats it has flying out each night and how they are distributed time-wise. Thus it's an easy Operations Management 101 problem to solve. While I am sure they value exalted SEMMs very much, letting them into the SS introduces a high degree of variability that makes the problem very much harder to solve. It's probably as simple as that.

Or maybe this is just me rationalizing to myself why awards and upgrades may soon be allowed...
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by sz549
There are probably >10k SEs floating around
Actually, at its max several years ago, there were roughly 8K SEs... now it is much, much less...

But yes, I agree - and as a SE 2MM right now, I don't have any issue with the SSL entry policy (I don't always buy J - quite often Lat for international).
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Actually, at its max several years ago, there were roughly 8K SEs... now it is much, much less...

But yes, I agree - and as a SE 2MM right now, I don't have any issue with the SSL entry policy (I don't always buy J - quite often Lat for international).
Inquiring minds want to know: how many now (roughly)? And how do you know?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ridefar
Inquiring minds want to know: how many now (roughly)? And how do you know?
This was widely discussed here on FT several years ago, with one of the former lurkers weighing in, IIRC.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
This was widely discussed here on FT several years ago, with one of the former lurkers weighing in, IIRC.
Indeed. FWIW, I had a quick look through this thread before posting that number.
How many AP Elite and SuperElite?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sz549
Indeed. FWIW, I had a quick look through this thread before posting that number.
How many AP Elite and SuperElite?
Yeah, that was one of many such threads in the distant past. I was actually thinking of prior to 2013, tbh. I didn't read every post in the thread you provided, but there was also previous mention of how not all the SEs are actually road/leisure warriors like most of us here; a large percentage are also "gifted" by AC (e.g. celebrities, VIPs not given VIP, etc.).
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:01 pm

Alright. My recollection is that there wasn't a lot of consensus.

I was also curious if you had a firm data point (even if just the word of a concierge) that the number is way down.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
On EYW, I'm in position #304 , tied with others, but on page 78 of 10 names each., so around 780th if we count like sane people. Call it 800th. I bought WiFi a few times and selected a particular routing on an otherwise regular trip, but made no effort to fly more during that window. I got no badges from any other partners but AC and GoGo. My natural flying pattern puts me in that window of time, at about the 800th most FF on AC. (obviously this would be higher, people crediting cars and hotels , etc to EYW). Assume everyone ahead of me is an SE (not necessarily true).

(for the record, you need to get to page 2432 before you get to people who did more than just sign up, and 3110 pages of total participants)

I had, in 2017 98k AQM, 143 AQS and 28k AQD. That is weekly RT travel in NA. Lots of opportunity to fly less but further, or shorter and more frequent and hops.

If I'm about average SE, there are about 800 SEs who flew less then me during EYW. This would suggest around 1600 SE's. Assume only half of the SEs bothered to sign up, so 3200 SE's. Further assume that its a slow season (which we know it is, even if I'd otherwise argue SEs are usually not tourist travelers). 6400 SE's. Fudge factor based on these OOMA assumptions, 12,800 SEs, max.

I'd not be surprised if the actual count of SE's was ~6000.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I vote that we relax the rules to allow Jumper Jack access, regardless of fare paid or status.
No.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I’m in my way to FRA. Just changed companies so no J TATL for me . PE is however very nice . The YYZ INTL MLL was only 30% full. If this is a result of the signature suite, this is a good thing.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
I would say that in the last 5 years since the start of that thread the number of SEs has tripled closer to 18-20K. Also,
being a MM is no longer a rare event, there are many million milers and on a recent flight, the service director told me that there were 7

Now, YYZNomad at 2 Million is definitely rarer as is a fellow that works at one of our banks with a lot of Latin American business has been a 3 MM for several years
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:37 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by After Burner
I'll just make a random comment here. I'm SE. I'm MM (approaching 2MM). Only about 10% of my annual air travel spend goes to AC. So SE/MM really is not an indication of loyalty. Measured by spend, I'm 90% disloyal. Should I be rewarded for loyalty?
If you are Canadian based , that allot of cash in air travel each year , over 200k dollars.
Time to buy a plane. Lol
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Wings100
I would say that in the last 5 years since the start of that thread the number of SEs has tripled closer to 18-20K. Also,
being a MM is no longer a rare event, there are many million milers and on a recent flight, the service director told me that there were 7

Now, YYZNomad at 2 Million is definitely rarer as is a fellow that works at one of our banks with a lot of Latin American business has been a 3 MM for several years
You're saying that as of March 1 there are 18,000 SEs? Does that line up with the number of EYW signups for those who got the auto points for being SE (not necessarily including all SEs but probably the overwhelming majority). What are you basing the number on?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Rundosrun
You're saying that as of March 1 there are 18,000 SEs? Does that line up with the number of EYW signups for those who got the auto points for being SE (not necessarily including all SEs but probably the overwhelming majority). What are you basing the number on?
In the absence of any actual firm data it is all speculation, isn't it?

I was told by a concierge several years ago that there were 18k SEs. That was 4 years ago, maybe?

I don't think the majority/consensus number of 10-12k has any more data to support it than the 18k number does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.