Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
As per AC Signature Suite page - July 2, 2021

* Air Canada Signature Class customers travelling on an Air Canada-operated flight (to Europe, Asia and South America) originally booked and ticketed in the following booking classes will be eligible for access to the Air Canada Signature Suite: J, C, D, Z, P. Only Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Flexible Reward or a First Class Flexible Reward in J, C, D, Z, P, I booking classes are eligible for access. All bookings in R class (including, but not limited to, eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, and AC Bid Upgrades), Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Lowest Reward or a First Class Lowest Reward, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, Business Class flight rewards booked and ticketed by partner airlines, and I (including Star Alliance Upgrade Awards), as well as bookings made during irregular operations where the customer was not originally booked and confirmed in one of the eligible booking classes, will be excluded. Eligible customers may not invite guests. Access to the Air Canada Signature Suite is not available to customers travelling on promotional tickets or employees.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/premium-services/signature-suite.html

canadiancow's photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/0nui9iIVxRH5nczi1

Video of Signature Suite along with menus and food shots. https://youtu.be/QDdKM735n3k
Print Wikipost

New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by threevic
?? I'm not sure I follow. If you have flown 2MM (almost) that means your have flown nearly 2MM on air canada metal. which means you would have spent those dollars and time on AC. If I read you reply correctly, and 10% of you travel is on AC and you're nearly a 2MM that means you've traveled nearly 20MM?
No, I said 10% of my annual spend is on AC. Not 10% of distance travelled.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
How did you get in after an overseas flight? Access to Intl area is only with departing flight...????
My mistake. We were there *before* a recent YYZ-overseas flight. Typed in a hurry.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Huh? Flying J is a benefit you're not entitled to at all times, unless you pay for it.

Likewise, why would you expect to be always entitled to the business class lounge if you're not paying for it?

SE has very explicitly published benefits (and some unpublished benefits, such as meal priority).

J also has very explicitly published benefits.

Some of the J and SE benefits overlap, some do not.

I don't know why you think that an SE should be entitled to everything J offers (presumably except the seat itself? though you're not even clear on that point)

The issue with SE is that there's a VERY large difference in profitability between an SE who earns 50k AQD on 67k BIS miles, an SE who earns 20k AQD on 67k BIS miles, and an SE who earns 20k AQD on 250k BIS miles. These all exist, even among members of this forum.

Not to mention that MM does not have an AQD requirement, and can easily be bought for $50k if you're flexible on time. Yes, MM means you flew a lot of AC. It does not mean you were ever profitable.
Cow and I are (surprisingly) on exactly the same page here. I would only add (for the OP) that the SSL is not a benefit. It is not something to which somebody is "entitled". It is included in the price of a paid (JCPZ) business class TATL or TPAC ticket. And I will say it again, and repeat that I likely generate a lot more than some SE in terms of RASM (and a lot less than others): this is fine. I didn't lose anything. I am not entitled to anything except that which AC includes in the published benefits of the program every year. I in no way feel like I am less appreciated because I won't be able to access the lounge except on a paid ticket. If it bothers you that much, write to Calin. Complaining about it here is a little senseless.
mromalley likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Likewise, why would you expect to be always entitled to the business class lounge if you're not paying for it?
One could argue that what SE's are (SHOULD BE) entitled to is "a lounge that doesn't suck", not "a lounge". How AC chooses to label and market their lounges is a different question.

Its odd, don't you think, that AC is all about protecting the sanctity of J while letting anyone with a >$0 annual fee CC into the MLL?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
You're still MM and nearly 2MM. So you're 90% disloyal, but still a big spender and big flyer overall.

AC cares only about your absolute loyalty and not your relative loyalty.
I could challenge your assertion based on the definition of loyalty. But we'd be getting into semantics.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by threevic
I know a guy who has traveled 1.7 million miles in 10 years on AC only, and they are a mix of long an short haul. I know what that revenue ads up to, AC makes money on him, he's high cost Flex fares or Latitude fares pretty much all the time. what do you say about that?
What I say about that is he is an economy class customer who buys relatively low fares. The Suite is for premium customers.

I could go on, but I am going to bow out as it seems my opinion is not welcome here.
That's not true. Your opinion is definitely welcome here. I have a different viewpoint. But I acknowledge that your opinion is as valid as (or possibly more valid than) mine.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
No one in Y , regardless of the status should really be able to access the suite
All business fare via AC Metal on the other hand... is what I expect they would open up to (if they are gonna at all)
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by After Burner
What I say about that is he is an economy class customer who buys relatively low fares. The Suite is for premium customers.
I disagree with the "relatively low fares" comment, unless you mean "on the hierarchy of fare classes". But that's JCDZP OEN YBMUHQVWGSTLAK.

Two of the segments listed here entitled me to SS access.

I was certainly in a premium cabin, on a premium cabin fare. But I'd hardly call this something desirable to AC.

They made the cutoff something easy to understand, and generally in line with "you get what you pay for".

A SE on a $5000 Y fare is a way more desirable customer than me. I was on a $500 P fare. But I was allowed in, and Mr. Latitude was not.

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
No one in Y , regardless of the status should really be able to access the suite
All business fare via AC Metal on the other hand... is what I expect they would open up to (if they are gonna at all)
I suspect that if the rules are ever relaxed, I class will gain something. But I would not necessarily expect it to be exactly what you want. AC I class on a 016 ticket doesn't give AC the money it would take to cover the meal in the SS. On a 014 ticket, it's a bit more, but you're literally asking them to take a loss on this. It doesn't make sense from a business perspective, and they already have easy-to-understand rules that prevent it.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I suspect that if the rules are ever relaxed, I class will gain something. But I would not necessarily expect it to be exactly what you want. AC I class on a 016 ticket doesn't give AC the money it would take to cover the meal in the SS. On a 014 ticket, it's a bit more, but you're literally asking them to take a loss on this. It doesn't make sense from a business perspective, and they already have easy-to-understand rules that prevent it.
​​​​​​Well that's alright, we don't always get what we want, part of life.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I vote that we relax the rules to allow Jumper Jack access, regardless of fare paid or status.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:30 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I vote that we relax the rules to allow Jumper Jack access, regardless of fare paid or status.
Well, his handle does have two J's, so that should qualify him right there.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: TK *G
I think this has been mentioned multiple times here. The entrance criterion are made to keep SSL exclusive (aka not crowded), at least for now. So can we focus on the food and service aspect?

It's hard to argue who "should" get access. For a large business, it is hard to assess costs and profits of each customer. A full J customer changing ticket 10 times may generates less profits than a P fare customer, how to account for that? Airlines build generalized models that fits the majority of the customers rather than calculate how "valuable" each customer is. For now AC has decided to give JCDZP customers access and others not. The decision could be unfair, but for now I respect their decision. If someone really want to have some "fine dinning experience" before flights, there are many restaurant providing similar or better dining experience, and the cost is likely to be lower than the fare difference between your ticket and JCDZP. If someone really think they deserve access to SSL despite not on international JCDZP, you may be much more valuable than many people who do get access, and if this makes you really frustrated, your best decision may be to vote with your wallet and convince AC that they made the wrong decision.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:44 pm

I disagree with the "relatively low fares" comment, unless you mean "on the hierarchy of fare classes". But that's JCDZP OEN YBMUHQVWGSTLAK.

Two of the segments listed here entitled me to SS access.

I was certainly in a premium cabin, on a premium cabin fare. But I'd hardly call this something desirable to AC.

They made the cutoff something easy to understand, and generally in line with "you get what you pay for".

A SE on a $5000 Y fare is a way more desirable customer than me. I was on a $500 P fare. But I was allowed in, and Mr. Latitude was not.
If I didn't know better I'd be tempted to say those numbers are fake!

I have no idea how you got that fare but I feel confident saying that it's an anomaly. I'd be more impressed if you showed a list of available flights priced like that. It's certainly true that a Y fare that's higher than a P fare comes with fewer privileges (like access to the SS burger joint) ... but the Y fare comes with flexibility and refundability.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Look all I am saying is that there's a long way to go before AC would even consider open up SSL for SE in any fare class, and if they ever do open it up more (not that they will or have to), I class seems to be the logical step.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by After Burner
If I didn't know better I'd be tempted to say those numbers are fake!

I have no idea how you got that fare but I feel confident saying that it's an anomaly. I'd be more impressed if you showed a list of available flights priced like that. It's certainly true that a Y fare that's higher than a P fare comes with fewer privileges (like access to the SS burger joint) ... but the Y fare comes with flexibility and refundability.
It was a mistake fare. I booked three. It's an anomaly in the sense that of the millions of published fares, most aren't like this. But intercontinental J on AC at under 10 US cents per mile is a very regular occurrence. 5 US cents per mile occurs at least annually on routes that are worth my time to book.

But that's exactly my point. AC doesn't even want these fares to exist. They certainly don't want me in the SS on them. But they made their rules simple, so I'm allowed in.

In general, these access requirements do what they want. They're simple to understand ("Buy business class on Air Canada and you have access"), and generally only available on expensive tickets. They're not available on all expensive tickets (full O/Y come to mind), and they're not only available on expensive tickets (see my above example), but it's a SIMPLE way of limiting access.

If they could let in every MM who has spent over 5 million lifetime dollars on AC, I'm sure they would. But that data is hard (or impossible) to get, and hard to communicate.

I've seen more people get turned away from the SS then I've watched enter (bearing in mind I wasn't standing at the door all day watching - this was just what happened in front of me). But at least it's simple. "You didn't buy business class, you upgraded" or "You didn't buy business class, you used miles" or "You're not flying Air Canada".

I bet if they started allowing SEs in, it would take all of 48 hours before someone came here whining that their guest was not allowed in. "I'm SE I should be allowed a guest".

Here's my proposal: SEs in paid J can guest one person in I class. Probably won't ever make a difference to me, but it solves the "legitimate" issue several have mentioned, where they buy J and fly their spouse on points.

Last edited by canadiancow; Feb 19, 2018 at 4:34 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.