Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Current eUpgrade Promotion for eUpgrade Requests Made Until June 30, 2020

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/special-offers/eupgrade-offer.html

Upgrades to Business Class

US

Europe/Middle East/South America

Asia/Australia
Upgrades to Premium Economy

US (This is the only promotion for Premium Economy at this time)

Print Wikipost

New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by montrealer
I gave an old friend a (IKK in Y) points ticket to come visit me from Florida as a Xmas present. Maybe a bad idea given the cold wave (he's wearing my spare parka these days...), but otherwise fine.

Today I checked my eUp acct and lo and behold, -6 eUps for *his* flight came out of my account. He's not a frequent flyer and doesn't know the lingo, but turns out at checkin online he was given the option to "upgrade ORD-YYZ for $125", which he thought was "cheap" and paid the $ out of his own pocket, ignoring stuff he didn't understand about "e-something". Turns out AC just took eUps out of my account, presumably since my FF # is on the ticket since it came from my points. He definitely is not my nominee, nor was I travelling with him.

Now, as it happens he used 6 pts I would have orphaned come Feb, so this is actually a + this time from my point of view. Personally, I wouldn't pay $125+0 points for ORD-YYZ, but had I known he would have wanted this, and that's is possible to upgrade someone like this, I would have cheerfully done it. But if I had carefully just enough pt lefts for eUpping my own and/or my wife's upcoming trips to Europe, and he accidentally zinged those pts, I would have been pretty surprised and upset.

So - is this a fluke IT bug of some sort? Or is it intended behaviour, which could be super for the right kind of ticket-for-a-friend and a big pitfall in other cases?
regarding the ability to eupgrade from a Aeroplan Y ticket, this is a well known and documented time limited eupgrade promotion that has been discussed here. That's all I'll say. The others can discuss other parts of your post.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
So - is this a fluke IT bug of some sort? Or is it intended behaviour, which could be super for the right kind of ticket-for-a-friend and a big pitfall in other cases?
Not unintended but it explains why in January points came out of my account to upgrade the daughter and son-in-law coming from Chile to Canada on an Aeroplan ticket out of my account. They weren't charged anything though (they were in Premium Economy)!

I was trying to do the upgrade for them myself but was unable prior to flight time. They asked the agent about possibility for upgrade and she said no way you are going to get it. I guess my priority applied and they snagged the last 2 seats. They took out 26 eupgrade credits for the two tickets (should have been 52, maybe one was comped due to MY status--they have no status with AC) out of my eupgrade account. i was quite happy they got the upgrade as that was what I was trying to accomplish but couldn't.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Not unintended but it explains why in January points came out of my account to upgrade the daughter and son-in-law coming from Chile to Canada on an Aeroplan ticket out of my account. They weren't charged anything though (they were in Premium Economy)!

I was trying to do the upgrade for them myself but was unable prior to flight time. They asked the agent about possibility for upgrade and she said no way you are going to get it. I guess my priority applied and they snagged the last 2 seats. They took out 26 eupgrade credits for the two tickets (should have been 52, maybe one was comped due to MY status--they have no status with AC) out of my eupgrade account. i was quite happy they got the upgrade as that was what I was trying to accomplish but couldn't.
and to be clear here, there is no eupgrade promotion that allows for Aeroplan PY to upgrade to J.

in fact, I don't think this even exists on the eUp charts. (?)
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Ok, what am I missing here? J class to Pudong is $3500 RT.
The cheapest fare to upgrade is $820 + 26 credits + $850 CAD (taxes incl.)
That's $1670 plus the credits, right? OK. so please explain why you think that a Tango fare customer is going to be able to easily upgrade
You are aware that on the longhaul routes, the load factory is rather high? There is an ongoing issue of overbooking.
Then there are going to be the aeropoint addicts who will want their full points and will fly in flex and will also assume that they will stand a better chance of an upgrade. However, more likely will be the folks in PE looking to upgrade and they will occupy a higher part of the pecking order.

I appreciate that you like living life on the edge, an adventurer, willing to try new things like red tortilla chips vs yellow, or wearing those odd fitting boxer briefs from HM which I can't wear because I am too fat and too old. However, it seems to me that it is very, unlikely you will score the upgrade from a Tango fare. In plane language you are deluded. (Yes, I know it should be plain, but this is an air travel forum and I am trying to show off my grasp of language, and offer a witty pun, which I shouldn't have to explain, but I just know someone will notice). Of course, I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time, but I just think you are setting yourself up for heartbreak. Unless you have an ability to charm the system. Everyone's going to be upgrading, so it's going to be difficult to get one. What am I missing?
I scored in December an upgrade to J on Tango from Vancouver to Brisbane. Lottery really. And, YES, I was really surprised to get it! I don't use my credits much as I am normally on 80 minutes flights between Vancouver and Alberta. And I think I will continue to gamble on those long hauls!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:34 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by yyznomad

and to be clear here, there is no eupgrade promotion that allows for Aeroplan PY to upgrade to J.

in fact, I don't think this even exists on the eUp charts. (?)
That's true--which is why I was surprised that it all worked out.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
That's true--which is why I was surprised that it all worked out.
so the eUps yanked from your account were completely arbitrary as there is no published "business rule"...
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:25 am
Original Member

so the eUps yanked from your account were completely arbitrary as there is no published "business rule"...
Appears so--I had no explanation, now way of figuring out what was appropriate level of points but it was OK by me since the "kids" flew in the class of service that I wanted.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I gave an old friend a (IKK in Y) points ticket to come visit me from Florida as a Xmas present. Maybe a bad idea given the cold wave (he's wearing my spare parka these days...), but otherwise fine.

Today I checked my eUp acct and lo and behold, -6 eUps for *his* flight came out of my account. He's not a frequent flyer and doesn't know the lingo, but turns out at checkin online he was given the option to "upgrade ORD-YYZ for $125", which he thought was "cheap" and paid the $ out of his own pocket, ignoring stuff he didn't understand about "e-something". Turns out AC just took eUps out of my account, presumably since my FF # is on the ticket since it came from my points. He definitely is not my nominee, nor was I travelling with him.

Now, as it happens he used 6 pts I would have orphaned come Feb, so this is actually a + this time from my point of view. Personally, I wouldn't pay $125+0 points for ORD-YYZ, but had I known he would have wanted this, and that's is possible to upgrade someone like this, I would have cheerfully done it. But if I had carefully just enough pt lefts for eUpping my own and/or my wife's upcoming trips to Europe, and he accidentally zinged those pts, I would have been pretty surprised and upset.

I have some speculation-without-evidence about this, but it could be due to some FQTV changes in the system (there have definitely been changes).

This seems like an inappropriate use though. Per policy, this should not have been allowed. And what if you wanted to fight it? You never authorized the use. They were not your nominee. I suspect they'd have to give you the credits back.

This is something that needs fixing. It makes me much more hesitant to book Y for anyone now
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: Air Canada Altitude
Angry E-Upgrades for SE100k Members

I'm not sure if people are aware, but now you have to check the type of Flex Fare you book with AC if you want to use your e-Upgrade credits without having to make a co-pay as a SE 100k member. All Flex fares used to be co-pay free for SE 100k members, but with recent changes a co-pay is now included ... unless you want to spend almost as much as a Latitude fare but get Flex fare conditions.

I'm beyond angry at this, and sick of AC whittling away all the privileges that come with SE 100k status. I know I sound like a cry-baby, but when you spend enough money over 8 years to buy your own plane, and see the inside of their planes more than you do your own home, you would think they would take better care of you.

Thoughts from the hive?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Welcome to FT @BearGuy85. There's been lots of discussion on this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Yes, welcome to FT! And I'm fully with you on this - if I'm not on a flight pass I'm required to book lowest flex, so I'm caught. Another "enhancement" by AC, this time devaluing eupgrade credits.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A reminder to some... that the Flex fares that need copay are not part of the original Flex fare classes that continue to have no copay.

All copays are required where Flex shares fare classes with Tango, differentiated by the TG and FL fare bases.

So yes "low" "Flex" (i.e. the new TG Flex fares that share the same classes as Tango) requires copay, but if these "low" "Flex" fares had been called something else like "TinkyWinky", then nobody would be complaining about Flex because nothing would have changed.

The thing that sucks for those is having corporate policies that require Tango or the *new* "low Flex" class ranges which both require copay.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
A reminder to some... that the Flex fares that need copay are not part of the original Flex fare classes that continue to have no copay.

All copays are required where Flex shares fare classes with Tango, differentiated by the TG and FL fare bases.

So yes "low" "Flex" (i.e. the new TG Flex fares that share the same classes as Tango) requires copay, but if these "low" "Flex" fares had been called something else like "TinkyWinky", then nobody would be complaining about Flex because nothing would have changed.

The thing that sucks for those is having corporate policies that require Tango or the *new* "low Flex" class ranges which both require copay.
Actually, the thing that sucks is going for a Flex fare, being given a "new TG Flex fares that share the same classes as Tango" and only finding out at the time of requesting an upgrade that a co-pay is required.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only way to determine if you're going to get a co-pay is by comparing all TG and FL fares on a given route. Is there an easier way to avoid surprises?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffsim
Actually, the thing that sucks is going for a Flex fare, being given a "new TG Flex fares that share the same classes as Tango" and only finding out at the time of requesting an upgrade that a co-pay is required.
Yep. I'm just clarifying for some who think that AC suddenly made pre-existing Flex fare classes have copay, which is not the case. And I'm certainly not defending AC on any of this.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only way to determine if you're going to get a co-pay is by comparing all TG and FL fares on a given route. Is there an easier way to avoid surprises?
Nope. Not at this time.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Actually, I think that pricing out a one way and picking 'show only flights available with upgrade" will do this. The screen that shows # of credits required also shows a copay, and also has a link to show the cost of a flight with less eups (and likely no copay) required

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.