Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares

New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 1, 19, 12:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: yyznomad
Wiki Link
Current eUpgrade Promotion for eUpgrade Requests Made Until August 1, 2019



https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31257977-post419.html

Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
So that others won't assume that this perpetual eUpgrade offer no longer exists (and for those who have had no clue for the last million or so years ), it has been extended again.

Now extended "for eUpgrade requests" until August 1, 2019

Wiki updated.

Upgrades to Business Class

US


Europe/Middle East/South America


Asia/Australia

Upgrades to Premium Economy

US (This is the only promotion for Premium Economy at this time)

Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Sep 6, 16, 1:39 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: YVR
Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Posts: 568
New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares

New eUpgrade requirments!

Wow, can now upgrade from Tango and Award Tickets! Thoughts? I like it.

See preview of YVR-YYZ below:

philelite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 16, 1:43 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ, MNL, WAW
Programs: AC SE100K (*G), SPG*Plat50, United Silver, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Plat, Nexus/GE
Posts: 1,967
Originally Posted by philelite View Post
New eUpgrade requirements!

Wow, can now upgrade from Tango and Award Tickets! Thoughts? I like it.
Hopefully they have this on Trans-border and International flights too.
CanRulez is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 16, 1:47 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Posts: 5,533
Laughing so hard right now.. AS predicted by me a few months back(Though I was more thinking they would allow Tango to PE as oppose to Tango to J)

Well.. it has happened.

International require a $600 co-pay to europe FOR Tango/Reward tix

Best Part : Tango E-upgrade to Asia for $850

I am going to very.. very happy next summer when I get J for <1200 to PVG



Last edited by Jumper Jack; Sep 6, 16 at 1:54 pm
Jumper Jack is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 16, 1:57 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 3,455
Originally Posted by philelite View Post
New eUpgrade requirments!

Wow, can now upgrade from Tango and Award Tickets! Thoughts? I like it.

See preview of YVR-YYZ below:

Is there a link announcing this promo ? Or is this the new normal ?
vernonc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 16, 1:57 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Posts: 5,533
Originally Posted by CanRulez View Post
Hopefully they have this on Trans-border and International flights too.
Well. they do

Sucks for SEs though.. Tango/Award Co-Pay appears to be the same regardless of level.

I am pretty happy though... actually.. I am very.. very happy.

Maybe AC will finally decrease flex/tango fare differences a little as a result of it... and more inline with the co-pay difference. ($100-150 difference is easier for me to swallow for some extra AQM)

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Sep 6, 16 at 2:02 pm
Jumper Jack is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 16, 2:02 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: YHZ<->YKF
Programs: AC E35K (*S), WS Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 576
Interesting. I like that the expanded upgrade windows are here to stay as well as the reduced amount of credits. As for the Tango and X class upgrades, in some cases it could be cheaper or equivalent to just purchase a LMU.
YHZ_Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 16, 2:12 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: sqrt(-united states of apologist)
Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Posts: 5,095
Originally Posted by philelite View Post
New eUpgrade requirments!

Wow, can now upgrade from Tango and Award Tickets! Thoughts? I like it.

See preview of YVR-YYZ below:

10/10 well played.
SparseFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 16, 2:21 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 28,576
It's a little annoying the co-pay waiver has zero impact on Tango.

For anyone below SE, Flex to J is $750, and Tango to J is $850. Upgrades are no longer an incentive for buying Flex.

But for SE, there's still a HUGE incentive to buy Flex, because it's $0 instead of $850.

Why not just have some blanket policy like save $500 on TATL co-pay, $750 on TPAC co-pay, and $200 (?) on North American (I made up the last number since there is no co-pay for anyone else in Flex).
canadiancow is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 16, 2:23 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: YYT/YYC/TPE
Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Posts: 1,460
LOL to the co-pay! There are ways to grab J cheaper than eUp credits + co-pay.

Admit it AC, you screwed up with the domestic eUp requirements for the 2015/2016 benefit years and don't have the courage to say so.
YYT82 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 16, 2:24 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: YOW
Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-2MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Posts: 2,343
the new 'Preview Upgrade Requirements for your Itinerary' shows SE paying the co=pay on Tango and Aeroplan X fares, however, the new (Beta) AIr Canada website still clearly states:

An eUpgrade Add-on will not apply to:
  • Upgrade requests made by Altitude Super Elite 100K members
  • Upgrade requests to Premium Economy or Premium rouge
  • Altitude members travelling on a Latitude or Premium Economy (flexible) fare
  • Travel within Canada, or between Canada and the United States or Sun destinations
Plumber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 16, 2:29 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 28,576
Originally Posted by Plumber View Post
the new 'Preview Upgrade Requirements for your Itinerary' shows SE paying the co=pay on Tango and Aeroplan X fares, however, the new (Beta) AIr Canada website still clearly states:

An eUpgrade Add-on will not apply to:
  • Upgrade requests made by Altitude Super Elite 100K members
  • Upgrade requests to Premium Economy or Premium rouge
  • Altitude members travelling on a Latitude or Premium Economy (flexible) fare
  • Travel within Canada, or between Canada and the United States or Sun destinations
To be fair, they haven't announced this change yet.

"Like before, Super Elites booked in Flex and Premium Economy (Lowest) will be exempt from the co-pay. However, the co-pay will apply for the now-upgradeable Tango and Aeroplan fares."

Bases covered. Assuming they think to do that
canadiancow is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 16, 2:29 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ, MNL, WAW
Programs: AC SE100K (*G), SPG*Plat50, United Silver, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Plat, Nexus/GE
Posts: 1,967
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
But for SE, there's still a HUGE incentive to buy Flex, because it's $0 instead of $850.
Yeah, as an SE, there doesn't appear to be a reason to buy tango if you wish to upgrade to J....might as well pay the Flex difference which will most likely be less than the co-pay.

In addition, at least with Flex you'll get 100% miles.
CanRulez is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 16, 2:32 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Accidental AC E35K
Posts: 2,317
I haven't been able to upgrade for a couple of years now, so I'm a bit rusty, but to me the "Within14 days" is meaningless if they keep playing the R games. What good is "Within14 days" if they wait until the gate to release upgrades?
Sopwith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 16, 2:42 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 28,576
Originally Posted by CanRulez View Post
Yeah, as an SE, there doesn't appear to be a reason to buy tango if you wish to upgrade to J....might as well pay the Flex difference which will most likely be less than the co-pay.

In addition, at least with Flex you'll get 100% miles.
I actually just checked SFO-YYC-SFO for the YYC do (a North American route)

Tango plus co-pay (2x$100) is more expensive than Flex.

Though I suppose there's the benefit that you're not paying the Flex surcharge unless you actually get the upgrade, which may be worth something.

With Flex, it may be $2000, with a chance of upgrade, but Tango could be $500 plus $750 per direction actually upgraded.

Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
I haven't been able to upgrade for a couple of years now, so I'm a bit rusty, but to me the "Within14 days" is meaningless if they keep playing the R games. What good is "Within14 days" if they wait until the gate to release upgrades?
The vast, vast majority of my upgrades have cleared at time of request. And as someone who often books last minute on routes that are J0 at T-24, I'd rather have them defer eUpgrades as long as possible
canadiancow is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 16, 2:43 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: YOW
Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-2MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Posts: 2,343
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
To be fair, they haven't announced this change yet.

"Like before, Super Elites booked in Flex and Premium Economy (Lowest) will be exempt from the co-pay. However, the co-pay will apply for the now-upgradeable Tango and Aeroplan fares."

Bases covered. Assuming they think to do that
No they have not announced it yet, but it is live in the 'Eupgrade' section of AC.com... If you search the credits required, the new system is there....but you are right, they have just not updated their T&Cs in unison.
Plumber is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread