FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:32 pm
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by montrealer
I gave an old friend a (IKK in Y) points ticket to come visit me from Florida as a Xmas present. Maybe a bad idea given the cold wave (he's wearing my spare parka these days...), but otherwise fine.

Today I checked my eUp acct and lo and behold, -6 eUps for *his* flight came out of my account. He's not a frequent flyer and doesn't know the lingo, but turns out at checkin online he was given the option to "upgrade ORD-YYZ for $125", which he thought was "cheap" and paid the $ out of his own pocket, ignoring stuff he didn't understand about "e-something". Turns out AC just took eUps out of my account, presumably since my FF # is on the ticket since it came from my points. He definitely is not my nominee, nor was I travelling with him.

Now, as it happens he used 6 pts I would have orphaned come Feb, so this is actually a + this time from my point of view. Personally, I wouldn't pay $125+0 points for ORD-YYZ, but had I known he would have wanted this, and that's is possible to upgrade someone like this, I would have cheerfully done it. But if I had carefully just enough pt lefts for eUpping my own and/or my wife's upcoming trips to Europe, and he accidentally zinged those pts, I would have been pretty surprised and upset.

So - is this a fluke IT bug of some sort? Or is it intended behaviour, which could be super for the right kind of ticket-for-a-friend and a big pitfall in other cases?
I have some speculation-without-evidence about this, but it could be due to some FQTV changes in the system (there have definitely been changes).

This seems like an inappropriate use though. Per policy, this should not have been allowed. And what if you wanted to fight it? You never authorized the use. They were not your nominee. I suspect they'd have to give you the credits back.

This is something that needs fixing. It makes me much more hesitant to book Y for anyone now