FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:52 pm
yyznomad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by montrealer
I gave an old friend a (IKK in Y) points ticket to come visit me from Florida as a Xmas present. Maybe a bad idea given the cold wave (he's wearing my spare parka these days...), but otherwise fine.

Today I checked my eUp acct and lo and behold, -6 eUps for *his* flight came out of my account. He's not a frequent flyer and doesn't know the lingo, but turns out at checkin online he was given the option to "upgrade ORD-YYZ for $125", which he thought was "cheap" and paid the $ out of his own pocket, ignoring stuff he didn't understand about "e-something". Turns out AC just took eUps out of my account, presumably since my FF # is on the ticket since it came from my points. He definitely is not my nominee, nor was I travelling with him.

Now, as it happens he used 6 pts I would have orphaned come Feb, so this is actually a + this time from my point of view. Personally, I wouldn't pay $125+0 points for ORD-YYZ, but had I known he would have wanted this, and that's is possible to upgrade someone like this, I would have cheerfully done it. But if I had carefully just enough pt lefts for eUpping my own and/or my wife's upcoming trips to Europe, and he accidentally zinged those pts, I would have been pretty surprised and upset.

So - is this a fluke IT bug of some sort? Or is it intended behaviour, which could be super for the right kind of ticket-for-a-friend and a big pitfall in other cases?
regarding the ability to eupgrade from a Aeroplan Y ticket, this is a well known and documented time limited eupgrade promotion that has been discussed here. That's all I'll say. The others can discuss other parts of your post.