Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Stop Security

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by ridefar
And to clarify OSS is not located where the posters right above indicate. It is at the top of the escalators and to the left; entered from the main hall. If you go into the area with the escalators you have gone too far. If you go down the escalators and through the doors and see Nexus machines you have really gone too far.
What signs are there for OSS? The area just before the escalators down to the Immigration main hall has a number of signs for a confluence of passengers - presumably OSS is for those connecting to flights in Canada (D gates)?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
What?!? I just flew MBJ-YYZ-YOW on Saturday, and did not see an OSS corridor. I followed the signs for Connections, which led me to the right hand side of the main Immigration hall. Where is the secure OSS corridor? At the bottom of the dual escalators but before the doors leading to the main immigration hall?
Last time I flew through YYZ, the connections lane was on the left-hand slide next to the NEXUS line. They have since moved it to the right?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
What?!? I just flew MBJ-YYZ-YOW on Saturday, and did not see an OSS corridor. I followed the signs for Connections, which led me to the right hand side of the main Immigration hall. Where is the secure OSS corridor? At the bottom of the dual escalators but before the doors leading to the main immigration hall?
MBJ is not an OSS eligible origin.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
Last time I flew through YYZ, the connections lane was on the left-hand slide next to the NEXUS line. They have since moved it to the right?
That is correct. Furthest right is passengers needing assistance (mobility impaired), then Connections, then foreign passport holders at centre-right, then the kiosks for Canadian travellers at centre-left, and NEXUS at the far left.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYC009
MBJ is not an OSS eligible origin.
I figured that out after posting. It was a return from FRA the week before that had OSS on my boarding card. Regardless, in both cases I missed seeing the spot to divert to the OSS corridor. That is why I asked about the signage. Anyone have a photo?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by dudestir
I had the pleasure of going MCO-YUL-YVR last week and it was a thing of beauty. Hard left as we entered customs, showed our connecting boarding pass as we were back airside in less then 20 meters with no further security check.

We were late arriving and only had 45 minutes to make the connection so I was a bit concerned. We made it to the gate just as they were calling zone 1.
Thanks! Sounds like some progress has been made. i will check it out on my next trip!

Last edited by Plumber; Apr 11, 2017 at 8:07 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
The secure OSS "corridor" (it also involves taking a bus back airside in to the D gate area) is at the top of the double escalator + stairs (on the left) before you go down to the main immigration hall.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by trooper
Office of Strategic Services

Bill Donovan will be in touch telling you when you are to be parachuted into occupied France to help set up a Resistance cell.....

(Sorry...History buff here)
That was my first thought, too.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd

Such excellence - in less than three minutes I received an answer to my question.
Had you gone to Google, you'd have got it in less than three seconds.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
The secure OSS "corridor" (it also involves taking a bus back airside in to the D gate area) is at the top of the double escalator + stairs (on the left) before you go down to the main immigration hall.
Correct. If you've gone down the escalator, you've gone too far.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
What signs are there for OSS? The area just before the escalators down to the Immigration main hall has a number of signs for a confluence of passengers - presumably OSS is for those connecting to flights in Canada (D gates)?
There is a sign (going from memory) that says something like "all Canadian connections" (says nothing about "OSS") and there is a small doorway going in to a room where the customs agents are. When I went by they had a guy steering people in there. When you go past the agents you go down an escalator to a small room where you walk outside and board a bus.

The bus drops you airside on the terminal D gates area, you go up an escalator and you are at the area just below where the escalator goes up from the D gates to the E/F gates.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
There is a sign (going from memory) that says something like "all Canadian connections" (says nothing about "OSS") and there is a small doorway going in to a room where the customs agents are. When I went by they had a guy steering people in there. When you go past the agents you go down an escalator to a small room where you walk outside and board a bus.

The bus drops you airside on the terminal D gates area, you go up an escalator and you are at the area just below where the escalator goes up from the D gates to the E/F gates.
There is no OSS signage or identification at all. In fact the only sign I recall faces the wrong way for 80% of the connecting traffic. Unless you know where to look, it would be very difficult to find unassisted. Additionally, there are 4-5 GTAA employees asking to see your boarding pass (unnecessarily) every 30m or so. I still think the process needs a couple improvements like Nexus machines, reduced boarding pass checks, and a hallway for walking to D gates rather than being forced to take the bus. But just adding clearer signage with an "OSS" logo or lettering would help. For non FF who have no idea what OSS is (and even many FF) there is no way to know that the OSS clearance area is an OSS clearance area. It is one of many things TSA pre-check does right--the logo and the identifiers are everywhere and are used as visual cues without the need for reading the sign in almost every airport.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ridefar
There is no OSS signage or identification at all. In fact the only sign I recall faces the wrong way for 80% of the connecting traffic. Unless you know where to look, it would be very difficult to find unassisted. Additionally, there are 4-5 GTAA employees asking to see your boarding pass (unnecessarily) every 30m or so. I still think the process needs a couple improvements like Nexus machines, reduced boarding pass checks, and a hallway for walking to D gates rather than being forced to take the bus. But just adding clearer signage with an "OSS" logo or lettering would help. For non FF who have no idea what OSS is (and even many FF) there is no way to know that the OSS clearance area is an OSS clearance area. It is one of many things TSA pre-check does right--the logo and the identifiers are everywhere and are used as visual cues without the need for reading the sign in almost every airport.
Right now that is not possible because the first idea is to take the path for connections from Domestic to International. That will not work due to TWOV and CBSA...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Plumber

I have NEVER (ie not even once!) seen any benefit from OSS. I ALWAYS have to go though security again.

A while ago i asked several employees in YYZ (Air Canada, YYZ Airport and CBA) and nobody even knew what OSS was.

Please report back how it goes.

Hi, you suggested that I report back about my experience.

Before I recount my experience, I want to say that I can readily understand why some passengers could get caught up in having to go through security for a connecting flight in Toronto. Quite frankly, the signs for transit passengers there is for the birds.

After a walk of about a third of a mile from the aircraft gate, I saw a sign with several large letters. One of the letters was a large red E with a note that said 'International" and there was an arrow pointing to a little unmarked room.

Although the large crowd from my plane was heading to Customs (along with passengers from other aircraft filled the corridors), I decided to stop at the little room that was just past the sign that said "E" even though the room had no sign indicating it was for transfer passengers. I knew the gate for my connecting flight started with "E" so I decided to inquire.

There were five counters in the room all filled by Canadian Customs employees. There was no passenger in line. In other words, it was not busy or even being used by one passenger.

As I walked into the room, I was motioned to the counter by an officer who asked for my boarding pass (that had the OSS written on it) and for my passport. He also asked for the Canadian Customs card. After that, he did some computer noises then he kept the Canadian Custom card but returned my passport and boarding pass. He then said that I could go to the gate.

It was as simple as one-two-three. No security again.

If I had not gone to that room, I would have continued with the hoard of other passengers and would likely have had to go through security.

Now I know. I learned a lot from this little exercise.

Hopefully my question, my experience and narrative will help someone with a connecting flight in Toronto.

-
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Hi, you suggested that I report back about my experience.

Before I recount my experience, I want to say that I can readily understand why some passengers could get caught up in having to go through security for a connecting flight in Toronto. Quite frankly, the signs for transit passengers there is for the birds.

After a walk of about a third of a mile from the aircraft gate, I saw a sign with several large letters. One of the letters was a large red E with a note that said 'International" and there was an arrow pointing to a little unmarked room.

Although the large crowd from my plane was heading to Customs (along with passengers from other aircraft filled the corridors), I decided to stop at the little room that was just past the sign that said "E" even though the room had no sign indicating it was for transfer passengers. I knew the gate for my connecting flight started with "E" so I decided to inquire.

There were five counters in the room all filled by Canadian Customs employees. There was no passenger in line. In other words, it was not busy or even being used by one passenger.

As I walked into the room, I was motioned to the counter by an officer who asked for my boarding pass (that had the OSS written on it) and for my passport. He also asked for the Canadian Customs card. After that, he did some computer noises then he kept the Canadian Custom card but returned my passport and boarding pass. He then said that I could go to the gate.

It was as simple as one-two-three. No security again.

If I had not gone to that room, I would have continued with the hoard of other passengers and would likely have had to go through security.

Now I know. I learned a lot from this little exercise.

Hopefully my question, my experience and narrative will help someone with a connecting flight in Toronto.

-
I don't think that's OSS. That process has existed a lot longer than OSS.

The OSS discussion is generally referring to international to domestic connections.

Even several years ago, you didn't have to clear security on US-INTL connections in YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.