Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Stop Security

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
One Stop Security

I had a new code on my boarding pass for today's YYZ-YOW flight, which was a connection after flying CDG-YYZ with AC. The new AC code was OSS.

It appeared on the paper boarding card just before the Zone. i.e. it was printed as "OSS - ZONE 1."

On my mobile boarding card, it had "OSS" just below my name, to the side of the QR code.

When I asked in Paris, they weren't sure about it, so I Googled it and found that the EU and Canada have agreed to recognize each other's security procedures.

New airport security option made available to speed up connections for air travellers
February 29, 2016 – Ottawa, Ontario – Transport Canada

The Government of Canada is pleased to announce the implementation of a new One Stop Security (OSS) arrangement for flights from Europe and the U.S. connecting through some Canadian airports.

Under this OSS arrangement, passengers and their belongings that have been screened at their point of departure may not have to go through additional screening at participating Canadian airports where they have connecting flights. Making airport connections simpler and faster allows travellers to reach their family and friends more quickly and allows business travellers to get their business done more swiftly. It also helps the Canadian aviation industry attract more flights to or through Canada.

The OSS initiative is made possible when two or more countries agree that their aviation security standards are equivalent.

Existing high security standards found in Canadian airports will not be impacted as a result of OSS.
Unfortunately, it has not been implemented yet in Toronto. When I asked several AC employees (gate agent, lounge staff) none knew when it would come into effect.

[apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on this forum - I searched and couldn't find it]
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I have this on my SFO-YVR today.

The bigger issue at the moment is that you go through baggage claim, so you have access to "unscreened" objects.

They'd need a sterile transfer pathway for this to work.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
FINALLY! this is happening.

Flying home through YYZ it will be nice not to go outside and again through YYZ security to fly home.

Better yet when flying through LHR and not going through security again and enjoying more MLL time!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Does anyone know if this is already in effect for YYZ-LHR? If connecting onto LH, is it the same terminal? If BR I expect it's a different terminal and this wouldn't help. Any advice on these issues appreciated.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Does anyone know if this is already in effect for YYZ-LHR? If connecting onto LH, is it the same terminal? If BR I expect it's a different terminal and this wouldn't help. Any advice on these issues appreciated.
Unknown if LHR can react quickly, but AC and LH are in the same terminal. Additionally T2 was designed to accommodate OSS type pax flow.

I would give it a try on the ground in LHR if you get OSS onto your BP.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have this on my SFO-YVR today.

The bigger issue at the moment is that you go through baggage claim, so you have access to "unscreened" objects.

They'd need a sterile transfer pathway for this to work.
YVR does not have a sterile transit corridor that could accommodate OSS pax flow.

YYZ does have this sterile corridor. the corridor runs above gates 53-57 and used to transfer domestic pax to International flights. There is a CBSA desk in node F just after international security screening that could handle the entry card formalities. Additionally there is a security desk at either end of the corridor to prevent people from getting lost and accidentally winding up in the wrong area.

YYC new International terminal will have a connections center that can handle sterile international to domestic connections. The sterile connections connections center will be located where the AC Transborder MLL would have gone if AC decided to take up the lease. However AC did not provide for a Transborder MLL in the new terminal New terminal opens in fall 2016.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by WR Cage
Unknown if LHR can react quickly, but AC and LH are in the same terminal. Additionally T2 was designed to accommodate OSS type pax flow.

I would give it a try on the ground in LHR if you get OSS onto your BP.

YVR does not have a sterile transit corridor that could accommodate OSS pax flow.

YYZ does have this sterile corridor. the corridor runs above gates 53-57 and used to transfer domestic pax to International flights. There is a CBSA desk in node F just after international security screening that could handle the entry card formalities. Additionally there is a security desk at either end of the corridor to prevent people from getting lost and accidentally winding up in the wrong area.

YYC new International terminal will have a connections center that can handle sterile international to domestic connections. The sterile connections connections center will be located where the AC Transborder MLL would have gone if AC decided to take up the lease. However AC did not provide for a Transborder MLL in the new terminal New terminal opens in fall 2016.
Thanks!

Edit, thinking about this and realize if you want the arrivals lounge, you would have to redo security if connecting within T2 due to its location in the terminal.

Last edited by Bartolo; Mar 18, 2016 at 4:27 pm
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
This speaks of people transiting through Canada (from Europe and US) but no mention of Canadians transiting through European airports. I would be delighted if we no longer had to face the second security line when transiting through LHR, FRA, MUC, ZRH, etc.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
This speaks of people transiting through Canada (from Europe and US) but no mention of Canadians transiting through European airports. I would be delighted if we no longer had to face the second security line when transiting through LHR, FRA, MUC, ZRH, etc.
Ah, but it does!

Originally Posted by The news release referenced above
Quick Facts

- As One Stop Security will not be mandatory, its benefits to passengers and industry will depend on which airports and airlines apply the initiative.
- In December 2015, the European Commission announced its intention of implementing OSS for flights originating in Canada and connecting through European airports, this also takes effect today at participating European airports.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
FINALLY! this is happening.

Flying home through YYZ it will be nice not to go outside and again through YYZ security to fly home.

Better yet when flying through LHR and not going through security again and enjoying more MLL time!
Originally Posted by Bartolo
It is definitely not happening for returns to Canada right now. I would love to transit YYZ on a return from an international trip and not need to be re-screened through security. Hopefully YYZ is planning to make it happen.

As noted by 28isGreat, the FAQ on the press release linked in my OP noted that airports are not required to adopt OSS. Let's hope they all do!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by The Lev
Fully agree - it would make life much easier.

I've been told FRA recently implemented the OSS initiative (afaik pax arriving from the US at T1 have been able to take advantage of this for the last few years).
Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:23 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Fully agree - it would make life much easier.

I've been told FRA recently implemented the OSS initiative (afaik pax arriving from the US at T1 have been able to take advantage of this for the last few years).
Last May, I arrived to MUC T2 from EWR on UA and did not have to reclear security for my onward connection to ARN.

During a private tour of LHR T2 later ithat same week there was mention that pax can be routed from aircraft to simple customs line and then out into sterile departures area. There is one catch, pax arriving from T2B must go back to the central terminal in order to be processed by customs. The one saving grace is that most European flights departing T2 leave from T2A.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Have any airports in Canada announced intentions to open OSS-compliant "sterile" transfer areas? Which airports in Europe have them in terminals to which AC flies?

I often connect both when travelling to Europe (i.e. connect in an AC European city to my final destination) and on the return to Canada (i.e. connect in YUL or YYZ to get to YOW). I would select my connection point based on whether or not I needed to reclear security, when there is no other disadvantage to an OSS airport over a non-OSS airport.

Perhaps as this information becomes known we could have a Wiki with the list of airports providing/intending to provide OSS-compliant transfers.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
These secondary screenings are really absurd. My last trip was SYD-DXB-LHR-HEL and though I was in sterile areas in every airport once I checked onto my SYD-DXB flight, yet I had two additional security screenings (at DXB and LHR). Not only does this require discarding any large bottles of water given to me on the planes, but at LHR I was made to open all my sealed amenity kits given to me by QF on their flight segments and consolidate any liquids/gels into my 1 "sealed" baggie! I find LHR to have the most anal security screening in the world...yes, I know, it's for my own "protection", but to have to dump items actually given inflight by an airline is the height of absurdity. (Not to mention, there is still not international consistency to prohibited items since NAmerica and the EU began to permit small scissors but the rest of the world still does not permit these in carry-on!)
tecate55 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by WR Cage
I wonder if this arrangement would be considered sterile enough for OSS purposes. Passengers from non-OSS countries are not re-screened when transiting through T1. There is inter-mingling of passengers from all origins in the international departures area. In contrast, airports like MUC and ZRH are able to completely segregate passengers from OSS vs non-OSS origins.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Thanks for clearing this up! A very astute SE*MM pointed this out on his boarding card last week and it was clearly a case of "Stump the Chump". The best I could come up with was:

>Office of Strategic Services
>Out of School Suspension

Mystery solved

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.