Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Stop Security

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2022, 3:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Is cobus still needed for OSS at YYZ (coming from USA)? Any Nexus machines yet?

Seems that waits at domestic security at YYZ outside of rush periods are workable so don't want to get trapped in bus limbo (tightish connection but easily walkable in 20-25 minutes through regular customs with NEXUS and security with NEXUS or priority.

My first thought is always exit and come back in whether in LHR, YVR or YYZ. Am I wrong?
Old Sep 30, 2022, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Is cobus still needed for OSS at YYZ (coming from USA)? Any Nexus machines yet?

Seems that waits at domestic security at YYZ outside of rush periods are workable so don't want to get trapped in bus limbo (tightish connection but easily walkable in 20-25 minutes through regular customs with NEXUS and security with NEXUS or priority.

My first thought is always exit and come back in whether in LHR, YVR or YYZ. Am I wrong?
No bus, and there are NEXUS machines. I couldn't book a 75 minute connection on SFO-YYZ-YYT, even though I was in the domestic MLL 15 minutes after the door opened. Before check-in closed for the earlier flight (which I luckily was able to change to).
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I declared $1076 worth of goods (applicable limit of $800). My colleague declared $935 of goods (also $800 limit) and over his alcohol limit with 17 bottles of wine (i.e. 15 over). We were both waved right through.

Surely at some point they'll charge you.
I'm shocked. Not by them letting you through over the limit but by the wine bottles. There's no amount they can charge you. Unless you have an import license your choices are they can seize and destroy them or you can ship them back. Entering the US you can just pay the duty but that's not an option entering Canada unless you're a licensed importer.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 6:36 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by zkzkz
I'm shocked. Not by them letting you through over the limit but by the wine bottles. There's no amount they can charge you. Unless you have an import license your choices are they can seize and destroy them or you can ship them back. Entering the US you can just pay the duty but that's not an option entering Canada unless you're a licensed importer.
We have veered off the topic of OSS here and I feel we will soon suffer the wrath of the Moderator Hat.

That said, I have brought back wine into Canada over my limit many times by road and by air. Sometimes, I have to pay the duty + taxes, other times not. But I have never had anything confiscated or even a hint that might happen. Maybe the Nexus card cuts me some slack, but I really doubt it.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
We have veered off the topic of OSS here and I feel we will soon suffer the wrath of the Moderator Hat.
Huh. Apparently the rules vary depending on which province you're entering but it looks like my information is wrong.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 6:38 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Temporarily closed pending clean-up. Over the past couple of years, @tcook052 and I have tried to develop comprehensive resources on security, CBSA, etc in the Canada forum, so as not to have information scattered across the AC, Canada, and WS boards when it's not specific to any particular airline. Plus some off topic posts.
OSSYULYYZ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.