Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Stop Security

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by sweden05
I came through at 6pm and there was no sign of this. I recall seeing these new customs stations along the hallway between international/US escalators down k customs, and the domestic side, closer to the escalators. There didn't seem to be a path from the US arrivals flow to that area.

For those who experienced it, how did you get there?
Maybe they only work until 5 pm.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:42 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
How do they separate US arrivals (already secure) from any other arrival from Int'l E (might be secure, might not)?

Does this mean we can't take the super-moving-sidewalk any more?
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Ted
How do they separate US arrivals (already secure) from any other arrival from Int'l E (might be secure, might not)?

Does this mean we can't take the super-moving-sidewalk any more?
I would assume by boarding pass. You have to show a BP for your US arrival departure, and a BP for your onward destination in Canada. They already use this approach for the separate transit area for pax with security and customs.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ridefar
I would assume by boarding pass. You have to show a BP for your US arrival departure, and a BP for your onward destination in Canada. They already use this approach for the separate transit area for pax with security and customs.
That completely defeats the purpose of OSS.

If Alice from Chicago and Bob from Shanghai are walking down the same hallway, he can slip something in her pocket/bag/whatever.

Then she doesn't clear security, and he does. Then she gives it back to him.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That completely defeats the purpose of OSS.

If Alice from Chicago and Bob from Shanghai are walking down the same hallway, he can slip something in her pocket/bag/whatever.

Then she doesn't clear security, and he does. Then she gives it back to him.
Correct. Which may explain the inconsistency in some of the reports in this thread. Maybe those who didn't get the bus ride arrived while other non-OSS eligible pax were transiting at the same time. Who knows...
Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
Correct. Which may explain the inconsistency in some of the reports in this thread. Maybe those who didn't get the bus ride arrived while other non-OSS eligible pax were transiting at the same time. Who knows...
That would be the case with me.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
YYZ T1 US / International to Domestic - No Security

Hadn't seen this discussed here yet... but maybe there is another thread I just missed?

I connect fairly regularly through YYZ to/from the US, last flight was about 2 weeks ago. This morning I came home to YOW from LAX connecting through YYZ and when I came up to the escalator that heads down to the YYZ customs hall they were diverting all connecting passengers to the left.

Went in to a small room and they had 2 agents checking passports (no NEXUS machines, so a short lineup) and then you went down the escalators and got on a bus. The bus takes you over to the D gates where you go up an escalator and show up right beside the AC service desk, beside the escalator that goes up to the E / F gates from the D gates area (i.e. right in the middle of the D gates).

So no security check when arriving from the US connecting in to Canada. The OSS on my boarding pass actually got used for something.

Not sure if this is a pilot or permanent but not having to re-clear security was very nice. Made an earlier flight back to YOW. If they found the space for a few NEXUS machines in there then it would be even better.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Yes, there is an existing OSS thread. Another FTer informed a few us already if this, but in another more accurate and newsbreaking forum.
But good to know that it is now actually in full effect.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I guess YVR does not have this yet. Last week had to transit from US to YYZ via YVR. BP had OSS but the transit connection still has security which had a long line so I just exited and used the regular line.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by vernonc
I guess YVR does not have this yet. Last week had to transit from US to YYZ via YVR. BP had OSS but the transit connection still has security which had a long line so I just exited and used the regular line.
Which is what I do in YYZ normally as well, but this morning they were sending all connecting passengers through this process. This was something like my 5th US -> YYZ -> YOW this year and the first time I have seen this. I remember the idea of it when they first got the agreements and starting putting OSS on boarding passes but I've never seen it used until this morning.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
YVR has it for INTL->INTL. INTL->Domestic is a bit harder to implement because of the layout of the terminal and the low % of OSS-eligible connecting to domestic pax relative total pax. Just recently (mid 2015) they finally installed the infrastructure to allow ->Domestic pax to not claim baggage in YVR and to instead get it in their destination in Canada. As of 2016 this "program" was still in trial phase but was expanded to something like 40% of flights. Supposedly it is at 100% as of the new year but I haven't verified.

To allow for real OSS and bypass security when connecting to Domestic, they would need to now install a sterile corridor. However, from my understanding, they have no intention to do this, so you shouldn't expect OSS for domestic connections at YVR for at least the next 3 years.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I wonder if this would allow reducing the MCT on US-Canada connections at YYZ?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:36 pm

i used OSS in YYZ today. A pax who deplaned beside me did not and ended up at the end of the Nexus security line at the same time as I was entering the PP lounge. So it is at best about 1 minute faster. Don't get me wrong I would love to see MCt reduced to 1 hr but I don't see this doing it. They need to cut out the bus transfer to do that.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
I don't think so as not every connecting passenger is OSS eligible, hence the reference on the boarding pass.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ridefar
i used OSS in YYZ today. A pax who deplaned beside me did not and ended up at the end of the Nexus security line at the same time as I was entering the PP lounge. So it is at best about 1 minute faster. Don't get me wrong I would love to see MCt reduced to 1 hr but I don't see this doing it. They need to cut out the bus transfer to do that.
I also went through this today (and likewise made a brief appearance at the PPL). I agree with you -- this process isn't much quicker than the old way due to the bus. On the flip side, it's considerably more convenient. I'd much rather do the current implementation of OSS than the old re-clear security method. Especially if the latter goes full CATSA+ on us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.