Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Stop Security

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I just flew Europe-YYZ-USA the other day, and my YYZ-USA BP had OSS on it. I compared this to my Canada-YYZ-USA boarding passes which do not.

Is this an error on AC's part? Or will this eventually be implemented for connections to the US?
Old May 21, 2017, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by D582
Or will this eventually be implemented for connections to the US?
Not for a long time I expect. As long as the US demands extra checks (i.e. no shoes), OSS is meaningless to them.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ridefar
There is no OSS signage or identification at all. In fact the only sign I recall faces the wrong way for 80% of the connecting traffic. Unless you know where to look, it would be very difficult to find unassisted. Additionally, there are 4-5 GTAA employees asking to see your boarding pass (unnecessarily) every 30m or so. I still think the process needs a couple improvements like Nexus machines, reduced boarding pass checks, and a hallway for walking to D gates rather than being forced to take the bus. But just adding clearer signage with an "OSS" logo or lettering would help. For non FF who have no idea what OSS is (and even many FF) there is no way to know that the OSS clearance area is an OSS clearance area. It is one of many things TSA pre-check does right--the logo and the identifiers are everywhere and are used as visual cues without the need for reading the sign in almost every airport.
Going through it two days ago, the signage needs to be fixed. It is simply wrong. There is a big banner that says "Canadian connections" However the overhead sign says "International Connection".

The bus ride was interesting, I think there are the same buses they used for the infield terminal in years past. The airport must be the habit of just storing these and pulling them out from time to time as needed.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rehoult
Not for a long time I expect. As long as the US demands extra checks (i.e. no shoes), OSS is meaningless to them.
They could what Ireland does at preclearance and just have people remove their shoes and laptops for connecting pax.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by reclusive46
They could what Ireland does at preclearance and just have people remove their shoes and laptops for connecting pax.
Laptops? Don't you have to remove a laptop at every security point worldwide?
Old May 22, 2017, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by jc94

Not from select middle eastern locations
Old May 22, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
TSA Pre Check means no laptop removal for security.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Not in NZ, unless flying international.

Not in the US if you win the precheck lottery.

Maybe more.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
TSA Pre Check means no laptop removal for security.
In the land obsessed with not permitting laptops on flights into the US one can get on an aircraft going the other way with out having to remove a laptop at security.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Not from select middle eastern locations
Right right. Except the airlines that gate check them

Didn't know about pre-check. Or NZ actually. Not travelled with a laptop there! I do seem to recall them (or Australia?) allowing water thru in some cases.

Tbh it reminds me of China that had me open my backpack with camera stuff so the X-ray could see it all better. I decided a long argument (in China) was a bad idea but I may have muttered something

Last edited by jc94; May 22, 2017 at 6:35 pm
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum Elite
OSS at YOW?

Does anyone know if there's OSS when transiting from the US through YOW onward to another Canadian destination?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by svirac
Does anyone know if there's OSS when transiting from the US through YOW onward to another Canadian destination?
There is not. You're going upstairs and back through security.

The good news is that the YOW security lineups are usually very short
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum Elite
Thanks for the info! I asked because I had OSS on my BP, but didn't think that YOW had a corridor for that. Glad I wasn't on a wild goose hunt looking for an alternate path.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
I would say that CATSA definitely needs to work on either signage or education for OSS. Couple recent experiences: Montreal, asked CATSA employee about OSS. Neither he nor his work colleague spoke english. (Or pretended not to.) So AC has to provide services in both official languages but CATSA doesn't? Fast forward to this week. Asked CATSA employee in Toronto about OSS. She had less than no idea what I was talking about. And resented me interrupting her personal phone call. (She was sitting at a work desk supposedly directing incoming pax traffic at YYZ.)
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:31 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Asked CATSA employee in Toronto about OSS. She had less than no idea what I was talking about.
Same issue for me on a recent trip through YYZ. It's great that this 'program' exists, but it would be better if there was better information and training.

It's pretty sad when FT becomes the authoritative source for a government program. Not that you all aren't fine upstanding members of the realm, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.