Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Stop Security

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by californiadreamin'
​​​​​​​No, CATSA agents, individually, do not have to be bilingual (other than the courtesy BONJOUR/ HELLO). You mention YUL, however, what was the language capability of the YYZ CATSA agent in speaking (or pretending not to speak) French?
Her fluency in anything other than IDGAF was minimal.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by californiadreamin'
​​​​​​​No, CATSA agents, individually, do not have to be bilingual (other than the courtesy BONJOUR/ HELLO). You mention YUL, however, what was the language capability of the YYZ CATSA agent in speaking (or pretending not to speak) French?
But CBSA Agents have to be able to understand either language, no? They are required to be bilingual at QC ports of entry, correct?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
But CBSA Agents have to be able to understand either language, no? They are required to be bilingual at QC ports of entry, correct?
Most of the time I fill out the French side of the landing card. It has happened to me quite often, especially in YYZ but occasionnally in YUL, to prefer doing the interview in English to save some time instead of having to wait for the next available French-speaking officer.

But yeah, most officers in YUL (and certainly every officer in YQB) are native French speakers or have a good mastery of the French language.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I went through the OSS area in YYZ yesterday, while doing US-YYZ-YOW flights.

There seems to be better signage now with a 'Connections' sign there. As other have mentioned, it is very close to the area where you proceed down the escalators to the Immigration Hall.

A couple of notes:

1) I did not fill out a declaration form as I have Nexus. I saw there was no line up at the OSS area, so I went in. I then had to fill out the declaration form because you must use a Nexus machine to be exempt from filling it it. There are no Nexus machines at OSS...though the Officer did say that they new regular machines will be operational soon.

2) The bus is a pain- they wait until it is pretty full before departing- I think I waited 15 minutes. I guess it could be longer or shorter depending on the number of people there.

Considering I have gotten from door to door (though Immigration/customs and back though security in as little as 15 minutes, the OSS option seems very slow to me. I may not use it again.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Plumber
I went through the OSS area in YYZ yesterday, while doing US-YYZ-YOW flights.

There seems to be better signage now with a 'Connections' sign there. As other have mentioned, it is very close to the area where you proceed down the escalators to the Immigration Hall.

A couple of notes:

1) I did not fill out a declaration form as I have Nexus. I saw there was no line up at the OSS area, so I went in. I then had to fill out the declaration form because you must use a Nexus machine to be exempt from filling it it. There are no Nexus machines at OSS...though the Officer did say that they new regular machines will be operational soon.

2) The bus is a pain- they wait until it is pretty full before departing- I think I waited 15 minutes. I guess it could be longer or shorter depending on the number of people there.

Considering I have gotten from door to door (though Immigration/customs and back though security in as little as 15 minutes, the OSS option seems very slow to me. I may not use it again.
It may be "slow", but it sounds like way less hassle.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It may be "slow", but it sounds like way less hassle.
This. Redoing security in YUL/YYZ on my way back home has always been a pain for me... Much prefer the short wait for bus (in YYZ) or no bus at all in YUL
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I've connected, from the US through YYZ, 19 times this year. I guess about half/half with OSS or not... to wit:

Sometimes it waits until its packed, sometimes popping basically first out of a 763 (presumably with a glut of CXing PAX), I'm 3rd on the bus and it move when there are 5 people on board. It isn't waiting for either a busload or a planeload to move. Could be on a schedule, I guess, or simply whenever a second bus pulls up behind it. I've never waited for more than a minute for a bus to arrive.

(I've also never gotten the sedan, even when I have -17 minutes to make a connection)

I dislike security more than I dislike OSS as it is now. I have no idea the schedule for the Primary Inspection Kiosks being turned on, but that should make things even faster. The really should glass off a walkway going back into Canada and nix the bus entirely, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Does anyone know if they still need the bus when 36-59 are in Domestic mode, or if there is a shortcut down one floor?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by run&fly
This. Redoing security in YUL/YYZ on my way back home has always been a pain for me... Much prefer the short wait for bus (in YYZ) or no bus at all in YUL
+1. Totally agree. Connecting in YUL is a breeze now and it works from any origin, not only the US like in YYZ. Hopefully it will be the same in YYZ one day in the not too far future !
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by DNAwizard
+1. Totally agree. Connecting in YUL is a breeze now and it works from any origin, not only the US like in YYZ. Hopefully it will be the same in YYZ one day in the not too far future !
Well YUL would work if it wasn't for the total crap signage and the agents that are either asleep, on break, only speak one language (hint: it is IDGAF not French nor English). If there is working OSS in YUL, it will be a mystery to the majority of pax that could potentially use it.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by ridefar
Well YUL would work if it wasn't for the total crap signage and the agents that are either asleep, on break, only speak one language (hint: it is IDGAF not French nor English). If there is working OSS in YUL, it will be a mystery to the majority of pax that could potentially use it.
OSS in YUL works but I have to admit that I entirely agree with everything you said. And I had a good laugh reading your post, because it is so true.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Flying SJC-YVR-YUL in a few weeks w/90 min connection. What kind of transfer experience should I be expecting? And will checked bags go through YVR without my having to claim then re-check? We'll be in biz class on both flights if that helps at all through any of the processes?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by BEAV
Flying SJC-YVR-YUL in a few weeks w/90 min connection. What kind of transfer experience should I be expecting? And will checked bags go through YVR without my having to claim then re-check? We'll be in biz class on both flights if that helps at all through any of the processes?
Bags will be transferred automatically, still have to clear immigration and security in YVR.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by D582
Bags will be transferred automatically, still have to clear immigration and security in YVR.
Thanks...
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Wow - YUL to domestic connection is slick

First time I have used it - Took less than two minutes to go through special immigration/customs line and into domestic terminal 😀✈️😀!!!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Something in Montreal that actually works

Amazing as it may sound, the one thing that has constantly improved here in Montreal over the past 10 years is the experience of flying from, into, or through PET/YUL. In a city where literally everything is broken or in the process of being rebuilt, the airport is actually ten times the joy to travel through as it was a scant few years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.