Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested the original 2004 - 2014 thread on the topic may be found here.

That original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about other airline/hotel loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Would you pick AA or UA? My colleagues in the US seem to overwhelmingly love Delta (I guess just the friends I have there working in the US).

What's surprising for me actually is Alaskan. A lot of guys from SEA LOVE and swear by Alaskan, but I've never flown them.

The DL guys are always going on and on about never sitting in the back (they are Medallion members). I don't plan on moving to the US so I've never looked into it but knowledge from people like you would be invaluable to me as I like learning about this stuff!!
AS has indeed built up a lot of customer loyalty in Seattle over the decades.
AS is very convenient for SEA-California flights, something that DL is currently not matching.
(let's not mention the fact that I can access AS BRs using PP in LAX/SEA, while this is not true for the inferior DL SCs. For YVR the PP lounge is quite decent in case I need to fly AS, which I will do to avoid rogue on YVRLAX.)
Even on AA in 2013/2014 I cleared >90% of my UGs (admittedly, so far, in 2015, all my flights credited to AA have been BA/CX flights save for 1 TATL and 1 TPAC, where the SWU gave me upgrade priority on both.)
You don't have to fly to the US to be very interested-a lot of international flights will also do the trick.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
AS has indeed built up a lot of customer loyalty in Seattle over the decades.
AS is very convenient for SEA-California flights, something that DL is currently not matching.
(let's not mention the fact that I can access AS BRs using PP in LAX/SEA, while this is not true for the inferior DL SCs. For YVR the PP lounge is quite decent in case I need to fly AS, which I will do to avoid rogue on YVRLAX.)
Even on AA in 2013/2014 I cleared >90% of my UGs (admittedly, so far, in 2015, all my flights credited to AA have been BA/CX flights save for 1 TATL and 1 TPAC, where the SWU gave me upgrade priority on both.)
You don't have to fly to the US to be very interested-a lot of international flights will also do the trick.
Thank you! My flights are almost always Canada domestic, but that was very useful information. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to explain it!! You should SO come to a Mini Do!! ^
Old Jul 18, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
In all seriousness, why UA?
- can still earn Aeropesos (in other airlines, I have probably 1300 AA miles, if even)
- SFO is a UA hub so if sh!t happens, I shooooould be able to come home easier
- Amex Centurion lounge is in the same terminal as UA, so once I lose *G Mar 1 2016, I can still access a lounge. Added bonus that it's significantly better than the United Club -- hot food, free wine, shower, ...)
- SFO T3 is adjacent to SFO Int'l G, which is where the Broken ... Rail Transit (BART) station is. If I'm running behind, it's a 5 minute powerwalk from the train to the T3 security checkpoint or 2 minutes to Int'l G security checkpoint and then use the airside transfer hallway.

Would you pick AA or UA? My colleagues in the US seem to overwhelmingly love Delta (I guess just the friends I have there working in the US).
One of my coworkers is a DL rah-rah fan (kinda like you and the cow in a sense ). I don't know how frequent flyers can support DL, it seems that they announce a devaluation every 6 months. You gotta be a true masochist to stay with DL (then again, I'm sure lots of people would say the same about staying with AC/AP ... )

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
^ Totally agree with you on that. I had to suffer the indignity of flying WN back when the AS BR was still operating in SFO T1. It was quite cool to see a pancake machine LOL
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
It would be nice if YEG domestic/int'l security had *G/J lane. The NEXUS lane is alright, but still would be good to have a regular premium lane.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by yyznomad
It would be nice if YEG domestic/int'l security had *G/J lane. The NEXUS lane is alright, but still would be good to have a regular premium lane.
Let's add an airside customer service desk to the YEG wishlist.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
Let's add an airside customer service desk to the YEG wishlist.
Didn't even realize they didn't have one.

*sigh*... YEG likes to be that way I guess!
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I flew out of that airport every two weeks for wayyy too long. I thought you had nexus so how does that affect you?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: AC S100K
I've got a better idea. Instead of NEXUS or *G/Elite, have a line at all airports for people who know what they're doing.

There'll be a test. You must demonstrate your ability to:

1. Use no more than 2 trays at x-ray (I want to say 1),
2. Reliably not set off the metal detector without removing your shoes or belt,
3. Gather and re-pack your stuff after x-ray in 10 second or less, and
4. Stack your trays.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlueMilk
I've got a better idea. Instead of NEXUS or *G/Elite, have a line at all airports for people who know what they're doing.

There'll be a test. You must demonstrate your ability to:

1. Use no more than 2 trays at x-ray (I want to say 1),
2. Reliably not set off the metal detector without removing your shoes or belt,
3. Gather and re-pack your stuff after x-ray in 10 second or less, and
4. Stack your trays.
BRILLIANT. YES, Omg I just want to give you a big FT hug right now. Absolutely this test should be done!! That would make my life so much easier!! ^^^

Originally Posted by maradori

One of my coworkers is a DL rah-rah fan (kinda like you and the cow in a sense ). I don't know how frequent flyers can support DL, it seems that they announce a devaluation every 6 months. You gotta be a true masochist to stay with DL (then again, I'm sure lots of people would say the same about staying with AC/AP ... )
As for Cow, who knows what he's like now since he's at his 10K post mark. As for me, man I've always went rah rah AC and then flamed them in the same sentence. They aren't perfect for sure, but they treat me OK. Plus, I've got you with eups Next year though. //wrist
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: *$ Green
SFette used to take so long to go through security.

Now we take literally 10s

Sometimes we need 2 boxes though because some airport security ask you to put your carry-on/personal item in boxes.

I could probably cut it down to 3 seconds, but I like to wear a sweater and I have to take it off
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer

I could probably cut it down to 3 seconds, but I like to wear a sweater and I have to take it off
Oh it just got hot in here

It's just so freaking inconsistent with the bins thing. In the NEXUS line at YYZ Dom, you used to have to put everything in a bin, now you don't, so that's aligned with the other lanes now.

But at places like YUL Dom NEXUS, you have to put everything in a bin.

Why can't they just freaking keep everything consistent??? And still, why is everyone at CATSA that screens pax a Sgt?

A Sgt of what?? Plus some moron now at YYZ insisted I take my NEXUS card out of the clear flap. To fondle it, like that YOW dude.

Man....:rolleye s:
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
It's just so freaking inconsistent with the bins thing. In the NEXUS line at YYZ Dom, you used to have to put everything in a bin, now you don't, so that's aligned with the other lanes now.

Why can't they just freaking keep everything consistent???
Doesn't it have to do with the actual x-ray machine being used? I thought I read somewhere the some machines require all items to be in bins while others don't...
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite

+1 with the bins. Even before I have TSA Pre, the regular security lines here were slow but at least consistent. Dump my carry-ons on the table, get a tray for my laptop, a tray for my shoes and jacket.

And when I go up north? Some airports want everything in a bin, some airports only want laptops in the bin, some airports want my jacket in a separate bin, some airports .....

At least the consistent part is I can keep my shoes on in Canada
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffsim
Doesn't it have to do with the actual x-ray machine being used? I thought I read somewhere the some machines require all items to be in bins while others don't...
Wait. What? If you can dig that up i'd appreciate it! But no worries, it's Sunday and I'm bored.

This is news to me! I don't see (logically) why this is the case. I'm no xray expert though.

And I'm near 100% sure the machine used at the NEXUS line at YYZ Dom didn't change, just that they went to the single lane instead of the split Y that Nomad and I had a few back and forths about when that change happened.

Hmm. I seem to recall that at YYC you had to put everything in a bin. So what i'll do is remember the machine name at YYZ this week and YYC and report back. Let's see if it's the same machine
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Oh it just got hot in here

Why can't they just freaking keep everything consistent??? And still, why is everyone at CATSA that screens pax a Sgt?

A Sgt of what?? Plus some moron now at YYZ insisted I take my NEXUS card out of the clear flap. To fondle it, like that YOW dude.

Man....:rolleye s:
Sargent? Do you mean the stripes on their shoulder?

If so, then it's only a decorative feature.

They either have nothing-ish (which means they are new), but everyone else has the same thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.