Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested the original 2004 - 2014 thread on the topic may be found here.

That original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about other airline/hotel loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Booked CDG-YVR-CDG for 350USD...

How many days until BA cancels it, claiming SHOULD'VE KNOWN THAT WAS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE CUSTOMER?

:P
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
But I didn't say you're breaking their rules. If policy is lowest fare, and you want to book Latitude, and the company said, as long as you book out within 2 weeks of the flight, that's fine. Would you book Tango 3 months out or wait until T-2 weeks and buy Latitude (ok, this is a really extreme example, but would you if that's when only Latitude fares are sold?)
That is breaking the rule in spirit, which I also would not do. I feel like you're cheating your employer out of their money, and I'd quit long before I got to a point where I'd consider something like that.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That is breaking the rule in spirit, which I also would not do. I feel like you're cheating your employer out of their money, and I'd quit long before I got to a point where I'd consider something like that.
Ok, so in your former case, you know there's a cheaper fare than latitude. You're allowed to book latitude, but your employer set a limit to how much you can spend, so obviously the company is trying to curtail you from spending a lot of money. You know the policy is more lax than at other companies, and you know that you could book a cheaper fare. So in this case, you're also going against the rule in spirit of the policy (and the spirit of all corporate policy is to curtail reckless spend)
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:51 pm

Ok, so in your former case, you know there's a cheaper fare than latitude. You're allowed to book latitude, but your employer set a limit to how much you can spend, so obviously the company is trying to curtail you from spending a lot of money. You know the policy is more lax than at other companies, and you know that you could book a cheaper fare. So in this case, you're also going against the rule in spirit of the policy (and the spirit of all corporate policy is to curtail reckless spend)
Actually, my policy explicitly said something like "If you find a business class fare under cap, feel free to book it."

It was never about booking the cheapest flight. They explicitly wanted to give you the flexibility to book a better time/routing/airline/comfort. Many people bought Flex and expensed preferred seats too, if they didn't have eUps.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Although I'm honestly not sure I'd even know where to look to spend $200 on food for one person.
A regular breakfast and lunch followed by supper at Ruth's Chris ought to do it.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by i59bravo
A regular breakfast and lunch followed by supper at Ruth's Chris ought to do it.
Right, my point is that I would never do that, even if it's not my money
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I'm just curious to ask (not trying to be a jerk, honestly curious)

To both SAP and Cow

If your employer offered for both your flights and meals to pay a maximum each day / flight and any difference between the max and what you actually pay you get to take home - what would you guys do then?

Ie: Max flight $1,000. Actual $900 flex, $450 tango. Do you buy flex and pocket $100 or do you buy tango and pocket $550?

Same concept for meals.

Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I'm just curious to ask (not trying to be a jerk, honestly curious)

To both SAP and Cow

If your employer offered for both your flights and meals to pay a maximum each day / flight and any difference between the max and what you actually pay you get to take home - what would you guys do then?

Ie: Max flight $1,000. Actual $900 flex, $450 tango. Do you buy flex and pocket $100 or do you buy tango and pocket $550?

Same concept for meals.

Hmm. You should see the look on my face, it's one of utter confusion

Ok. So for the flight, I'd buy Flex. If I only fly twice a year, I'd buy Tango + LMU out of pocket. Maybe even lowest J fare, depending on how much out of pocket I would be.

For the meal, I'd eat the same, but I wouldn't drink anything other than tap water.

As irrational as that may sound, that's what I would do.@:-)
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
It's not unusual for employers to pay a per diem for meals and miscellaneous expenses, just to avoid hassles around a quiet pint with dinner or a whole bottle of expensive wine or gin gin gin gin gin gin gin ginnnnn-spill-zzzz....

I've never heard of a spending envelope for flights.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:53 pm

I believe it will happen within 10 years (maybe 5). It won't be generic, it'll be based on city pairs. But it will finally render the whole concur game (and others) useless.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It's not unusual for employers to pay a per diem for meals and miscellaneous expenses, just to avoid hassles around a quiet pint with dinner or a whole bottle of expensive wine or gin gin gin gin gin gin gin ginnnnn-spill-zzzz....

Yes, it is odd. The company Cow is referring to is the only one that I've ever heard which has a spending envelope.

I believe it will happen within 10 years (maybe 5). It won't be generic, it'll be based on city pairs. But it will finally render the whole concur game (and others) useless.
I'm not sure if Cow's willing to share again how it worked. (I don't remember anymore how it worked). My initial thought was...well what about seasonality? Things like high YYZ YYC loads due to Stampede? IIRC the model that that employer used took that into account. Rather neat actually.

I complained at our last team meeting. I said we can't even choose to buy up into the fare class we want. Almost every manager and engineer in the meeting looked at me like I was crazy.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:59 pm

I'm not sure if Cow's willing to share again how it worked. (I don't remember anymore how it worked). My initial thought was...well what about seasonality? Things like high YYZ YYC loads due to Stampede? IIRC the model that that employer used took that into account. Rather neat actually.
It's not super difficult to do, with the data that is available these days, you can do it based on season, by city pair, etc pretty easily.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It's not super difficult to do, with the data that is available these days, you can do it based on season, by city pair, etc pretty easily.
Yeah but for a company to buy said data and then extrapolate it? I mean it worked for the employer that Cow was referring to because they had access to flight data. My employer, and the majority of employers out there don't have access to this. They'd have to buy the info, build a tool, build the process, hold meetings to then hold more meetings etc etc...

My employer employs people across 191 countries...imagine the scale of what would be needed....
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:03 pm

Yeah but for a company to buy said data and then extrapolate it? I mean it worked for the employer that Cow was referring to because they had access to flight data. My employer, and the majority of employers out there don't have access to this. They'd have to buy the info, build a tool, build the process, hold meetings to then hold more meetings etc etc...

My employer employs people across 191 countries...imagine the scale of what would be needed....
Yes, there is an investment to be made. But I still bet you'll hear about it more often in 5-10 years.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:04 pm

Also...... sounds like a good business plan to put concur out of business.

Make a company, buy the data, use it for all your clients.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.