Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested the original 2004 - 2014 thread on the topic may be found here.

That original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about other airline/hotel loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Do let us know!!

The restaurant across the road from the Prince De Galles hotel is something else too. Reasonable, one michelin star restaurant, one of the best I've been to - I enjoyed that more than that posh and stuck up 3 michelin star Alain Ducasse one (I can't remember which one, but it was in a hotel)

Breakfast at the Prince De Galles hotel is quite a treat though!

The Chinese restaurant at the Shangri La was pretty good, although i'm not sure if that's because I was sick of French food after a week...lol. Seriously overpriced though
Unlike you, I don't have as many starpoints or cold hard $$$ to splurge on PdeG (I'm slummin' at the Sheraton CDG!)! In any case, I will ask my friends if they want to try Miss Ko.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Unlike you, I don't have as many starpoints or cold hard $$$ to splurge on PdeG (I'm slummin' at the Sheraton CDG!)! In any case, I will ask my friends if they want to try Miss Ko.
I think a honeymoon is worth blowing my starpoints account to kingdom come. Although the suite rack rate as indicated by the placard inside the closet was 1600 euros a night, and I paid a grand total of $0. Another half million points to go....still.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I think a honeymoon is worth blowing my starpoints account to kingdom come. Although the suite rack rate as indicated by the placard inside the closet was 1600 euros a night, and I paid a grand total of $0. Another half million points to go....still.
The five nights for four redemption is nice though.

I just received Gold Elite status with Club Carlson and they kinda suck compared to SPG.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... and now totally bummed that Canada WNT didn't make it past England.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
The five nights for four redemption is nice though.

I just received Gold Elite status with Club Carlson and they kinda suck compared to SPG.
I either have had or currently hold top tier with every major hotel chain that I want to be associated to. What i've found is...

1) SPG hotels don't tend to be the best, but the rewards program is the best. It also gets me into "some" of the top hotel chains in the world - St. Regis / Luxury Collection at a fraction of the costs due to points/free breakfast etc. However, SPG hotels tend to blow in N. America, the lounges suck although the Westins are usually OK. So I'll slum it at a Westin...

2) Fairmont hotels in Canada have the best service, however outside of YVR, YYC, and depending on the room at YEG, most Fairmonts in Canada, also suck. The Fairmont in Quebec City is nice (basically the renovated ones I like). The service at Fairmonts is fantastic, I love the staff, and know most by first name. (it's a bit sad getting Christmas cards from most of the Fairmonts I stay at). Plus with the AMEX Plat, 5 nights = easy to stay a Plat. The suite upgrades (confirmed) are great as are the food certs. Although to be frank, this year I will have stayed around 30 nights at a Fairmont...

3) Hilton = Meh, some properties are nice. The Doubletree in YQR is nice...and that's about it. Probably dropping to a Gold this year.
4) Marriott = hit and miss. Some Residence Inn properties exceed SPG Four Points hotels easily, but the rewards program is sort of meh. I've rarely been upgraded to a suite as a Marriott hotel. Probably dropping to a silver this year

The other chains aren't my focus. Hands down the SPG program wins, and it's almost enough to keep me away from the Fairmont hotels which I may love (due to location), but if I have a choice between say the Westin in Calgary or the Palliser, well, I'm going to the Palliser Plus, what other hotel opens up a restaurant because of 25 or so people showing up for a Do/Party
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed on Fairmont service.

As for Starwoods... Europe and Asia Starwoods are better than North America Starwoods - especially much better than sh!thole American Starwoods.

Never stayed at a Hilton I reckon... the thought of supporting good-for-nothing celebrity heirs turns me off.

As for Calgary - what about the Sheraton Eau Claire Suites? Is your caricature on the club lounge wall of fame?
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Never stayed at a Hilton I reckon... the thought of supporting good-for-nothing celebrity heirs turns me off.....

"On July 3, 2007, Hilton Hotels Corp. agreed to an all-cash buyout from the Blackstone Group LP in a $26 billion (including debt) deal that would make Blackstone the world's largest hotel owner."

Not that it matters. Some of their locations are better than others, but I've had very interesting conversations with the managers of the ones I've stayed at that are owned by Blackstone.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC S100K
2) Fairmont hotels in Canada have the best service, however outside of YVR, YYC, and depending on the room at YEG, most Fairmonts in Canada, also suck.
A bit harsh. Winnipeg and Montreal are showing their age and hail from an era with unfortunate architecture. Other's are solid (even if the older rooms are small).

Certainly Whistler, Banff and the Laurier are among my favourite hotels anywhere.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlueMilk
A bit harsh. Winnipeg and Montreal are showing their age and hail from an era with unfortunate architecture. Other's are solid (even if the older rooms are small).

Certainly Whistler, Banff and the Laurier are among my favourite hotels anywhere.
Ah, I prefer renovated rooms. Like the renovated ones at the Fairmont YYC, Waterfront (or so I hear), newer ones like the YVR airport, and the one in Quebec City (renovated).

The Fairmont YEG is getting long in the tooth, the one at Toronto is appalling (one cannot pay me enough to stay there), the one in Winnipeg is OK (but they don't turn on the AC in fall/spring so on a hot day the chillers aren't on so they suck as it's hot) - the renovated rooms are OK though. The Fairmont YEG in spring/fall doesn't have this issue, for comparison sake because they leave their chillers on. The service at that property is awesome, and the chef at the Harvest Room is something else. The waiters there are awesome too, plus the staff = awesome. Greg the hotel driver is awesome. He'll drive me a block so I don't have to walk

The Fairmont in YUL - I refuse to stay there. Yuck. Rather stay at the Westin...the Hotel Vancouver = hell no. The Pac Rim = of course...the Banff, and Whistler ones I haven't been to in a while.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Jun 27, 2015 at 8:49 pm
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Agreed based on my experience at the Queen E.

Ah, I prefer renovated rooms. Like the renovated ones at the Fairmont YYC, Waterfront (or so I hear), newer ones like the YVR airport......
I was extremely impressed a month ago with the renovated rooms at the Fairmont Waterfront. Multiple stays at Fairmont YVR including a few weeks ago. Service is outstanding, particularly on the Gold Floor.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

-not sure if double post, but posting I got an error?-

As for Calgary - what about the Sheraton Eau Claire Suites? Is your caricature on the club lounge wall of fame?
The sound of the taps as the water leaves the tap is like fingers on chalk board for me at that property.

PS I forgot to mention:

The drink to have at Miss Ko:

Under the Bubble tea section. Have the Peach/Bubble Strawberry.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gold floor at Montreal still quite good. Look forward to a 4 night stay there in August
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acysb87
Gold floor at Montreal still quite good. Look forward to a 4 night stay there in August
Gold floors at any property tend to be better upkept. Better furniture, better maintained, better towels, higher thread count sheets, bigger shower bottles, body washes etc...

Gold floor = better than non gold floors for sure. Sadly the certs don't work for gold floors...
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, I prefer renovated rooms. Like the renovated ones at the Fairmont YYC, Waterfront (or so I hear), newer ones like the YVR airport, and the one in Quebec City (renovated).

The Fairmont YEG is getting long in the tooth, the one at Toronto is appalling (one cannot pay me enough to stay there), the one in Winnipeg is OK (but they don't turn on the AC in fall/spring so on a hot day the chillers aren't on so they suck as it's hot) - the renovated rooms are OK though. The Fairmont YEG in spring/fall doesn't have this issue, for comparison sake because they leave their chillers on. The service at that property is awesome, and the chef at the Harvest Room is something else. The waiters there are awesome too, plus the staff = awesome. Greg the hotel driver is awesome. He'll drive me a block so I don't have to walk

The Fairmont in YUL - I refuse to stay there. Yuck. Rather stay at the Westin...the Hotel Vancouver = hell no. The Pac Rim = of course...the Banff, and Whistler ones I haven't been to in a while.
Yeg I find ok. YYZ is dependent on floor for me. Winnipeg is fine. I do like Montreal ,especially corner spot at Gold lounge looking down the street . All YVR hotels are good to me. PAC Rim, YVR, Waterfront and Hotel Vancouver in that order. Quebec City has a great bar over looking St.Lawrence.
Like Fairmonts ^
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gold floors at any property tend to be better upkept. Better furniture, better maintained, better towels, higher thread count sheets, bigger shower bottles, body washes etc...

Gold floor = better than non gold floors for sure. Sadly the certs don't work for gold floors...
I always have certs left over. Gold floor almost every time for me and Mrs.acysb87.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.