Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested the original 2004 - 2014 thread on the topic may be found here.

That original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about other airline/hotel loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by acysb87
Yeg I find ok. YYZ is dependent on floor for me. Winnipeg is fine. I do like Montreal ,especially corner spot at Gold lounge looking down the street . All YVR hotels are good to me. PAC Rim, YVR, Waterfront and Hotel Vancouver in that order. Quebec City has a great bar over looking St.Lawrence.
Like Fairmonts ^
Interesting. The YYZ one I detest. I remember now for the last 2 or 3 stays, Mrs. SAP and I were at a gold floor suite at the Royal York. Mold in the showers, boarded up windows (no joke - renos I think). Checked out and went to the Ritz for $250/night (corporate rate) // higher now. Even I, who doesn't usually get bothered by anything now, was like...uhh, no, i'm leaving now. It was a prepaid rate and the manager knew better than to argue with me about getting a full refund.

The YUL one I have not stayed at myself, but based on my team's comments and from many others, I have naturally avoided that place.

The Quebec City formal dining room at the Fairmont. OMG. I usually detest gluten free bread, but that restaurant has the best gluten free bread in the whole world (that i've tried). (I can't do dairy and so they told me to try the gluten free one instead to be safe based on preparatory methods). Absolutely amazing. The Quebec City renoed rooms are similar to the YYC Fairmont. (and similar to the Waterfront too from what I could tell).

All in all, the Fairmont properties are more hit than miss, although a few properties I am still turned off by.

The service though, my gosh. ^^

Originally Posted by acysb87
I always have certs left over. Gold floor almost every time for me and Mrs.acysb87.
Living the life my friend! Unfortunately Gold floors = above corporate rates So either a service recovery or personal stays are the only way I end up there...or the odd time I splurge with my own money on business travels (very rare...)
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Ah, I prefer renovated rooms. Like the renovated ones at the Fairmont YYC, Waterfront (or so I hear), newer ones like the YVR airport, and the one in Quebec City (renovated).

The Fairmont YEG is getting long in the tooth, the one at Toronto is appalling (one cannot pay me enough to stay there), the one in Winnipeg is OK (but they don't turn on the AC in fall/spring so on a hot day the chillers aren't on so they suck as it's hot) - the renovated rooms are OK though. The Fairmont YEG in spring/fall doesn't have this issue, for comparison sake because they leave their chillers on. The service at that property is awesome, and the chef at the Harvest Room is something else. The waiters there are awesome too, plus the staff = awesome. Greg the hotel driver is awesome. He'll drive me a block so I don't have to walk

The Fairmont in YUL - I refuse to stay there. Yuck. Rather stay at the Westin...the Hotel Vancouver = hell no. The Pac Rim = of course...the Banff, and Whistler ones I haven't been to in a while.
Out of curiosity, why would you need a hotel in a city that you presumably live in?
(actually, I could understand if you have children and want to have one romantic night away from them.)
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Out of curiosity, why would you need a hotel in a city that you presumably live in?
(actually, I could understand if you have children and want to have one romantic night away from them.)
Oh. I live in the suburbs. The few times I have stayed at the Fairmont in Toronto is because I don't want to make the stupid commute in for a conference, say at the MTCC. That commute for me is brutal due to construction (Gardiner being a big one)
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:53 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
buu buu all this hotel chatter and Hyatt is surprisingly neglected

Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by maradori

Sadly, maradori, not all of us have Hyatt experience. Those that do either aren't awake or don't want to share.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maradori

I've never stayed at a Hyatt, I thought the chain was not that prolific in Canada so I never looked into it...
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you for watching — and goodbye - Andy Wilman

It is with a very heavy heart that I post this article for the Top Gear fans on this board. Read this with a lump in my throat

Stolen from the Omni board.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...517ce77c7cf8c1
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@sap

My frenchie friends did not want to dine and splurge in the "Golden Triangle", so my attempt at Miss Ko will have to wait... probably for a very long time. We ended up in the Montorgueil area by Chatelet les Halles. Had the strongest Trou Normand ever Had to neutralize that with a mojito
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
@sap

My frenchie friends did not want to dine and splurge in the "Golden Triangle", so my attempt at Miss Ko will have to wait... probably for a very long time. We ended up in the Montorgueil area by Chatelet les Halles. Had the strongest Trou Normand ever Had to neutralize that with a mojito
Damn. Next time! Hopefully you had fun in Paris though!! Beautiful place! ^
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Damn. Next time! Hopefully you had fun in Paris though!! Beautiful place! ^
I had fun with the people I spent time with there. Paris in general kinda sucks and is overrated, IMHO. But then again, I'm just jaded having been to every other European city at least 1,000,000 times
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I had fun with the people I spent time with there. Paris in general kinda sucks and is overrated, IMHO. But then again, I'm just jaded having been to every other European city at least 1,000,000 times
Yeah, it's like Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, Fredericton, St. John's for me....

I know the feeling, although you at least get to go to more exotic locations with better weather.

Me, not so much
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Yeah, it's like [...] Montreal, [...] for me....

I know the feeling, although you at least get to go to more exotic locations with better weather.

Me, not so much
WOAH WOAH WOAH. WOAH. WOAH.

WOAH.

YUL has been voted best city in the world by the international pleb committee.

Show a little respect.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
WOAH WOAH WOAH. WOAH. WOAH.

WOAH.

YUL has been voted best city in the world by the international pleb committee.

Show a little respect.
Well that didn't take long. Didn't we have an internal conversation about YUL a few weeks ago?

Before I piss off everyone on the board, I was more referring to Nomad's LATTER comment. "I'm just jaded having been to every other [xxx] city at least 1,000,000 times"

Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Yeah, it's like Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, Fredericton, St. John's for me....

Me, not so much
Vancouver has had decent weather lately (though some do want the rain to come back again.)
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Vancouver has had decent weather lately (though some do want the rain to come back again.)
I'll ask you how the weather is again in October

(PS I grew up there, and I was there like 3 times in June) If I had to pick a favorite city in Canada, don't get me wrong, it'd be Vancouver.

Sadly, fewer jobs there. Although the density of yoga pants is JAW dropping (and eye watering). It's a beautiful sight (most of the time)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.