Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger
Meanwhile, EASA goes its on way, apparently beyond the FAA requirements, and wants Boeing to show the Max is stable with the MCAS turned off... Which, as is likely if Boeing cannot do it, might be the kiss of death for the Max, and disastrous for Boeing. Especially if other certification authorities follow the ESA's lead, and the FAA reluctantly feels obliged to follow. Yet, showing stability is arguably the right thing to ask.
IMO, this is ridiculous. FAA should do quid pro quo and demand that Airbus demonstrate "stability" of the neo with the control laws built into its FCS to compensate for its larger engines disabled.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
IMO, this is ridiculous. FAA should do quid pro quo and demand that Airbus demonstrate "stability" of the neo with the control laws built into its FCS to compensate for its larger engines disabled.
But that's exactly what the airbus can do ... it understands when failures are occurring, and it degrades into more basic modes ("control laws") that are still capable of flying safely

Ref: https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Flight_Control_Laws

To be clear, this is not Airbus specific - those Boeing planes that were designed for FBW from the outset, can also degrade safely.

Why isn't it a reasonable request for the 737, too?
Symmetre likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by MQS007
That is what they all say...

When your phone is lit up because people know you are going to Africa on Ethopian on the day and the early news did not have the flight details...I am thinking twice.
Personally, I still won't feel that comfortable flying on it! But if I think that it is okay after a few months back in service, I will likely fly on it again, as I am sure many FTers will.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ridefar
There used to be two there. They were hanging around E93 for a long time... not sure what happened to the other one.

And as far as WS competing with them -- I am no more likely to get on a WS one if it has business class, and considerably less likely after their Chief Technical Officer (??) was on CBC last night and came off as an insincere twat that Boeing and WS had it all figured out after Indonesia and things were safe and basically ignored Ethiopia and all subsequent findings about MCAS problems.
I don't think is what he said. To paraphrase, he said.....
"After the Indonesia crash, Boeing, WestJet, Sungwing, Air Canada and Transport Canada collectively reworked checklists and training and we thought we had this solved."

I think that was clearly the case, after Ethiopia of the organisations in that "we" started to have second thoughts.

I am not certain I have any more or less confidence in either Air Canada or WestJet on this issue. Both airlines are basically doing the same thing, to keep these aircraft ready to fly, periodically flying them from storage to maintenance facilities and back.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
You do realize that what you wrote is completely ridiculous? You really expect some "Neo Engines" module being present in the NEO's system and the rest of the software being unchanged?
The only way to do what are asking for would be to build a NEO with CEO software. I doubt such aircraft would be airworthy.

That said, if Boeing can really prove that the MAX is perfectly safe in any part of the flight envelope with MCAS off, then nobody should have a problem flying one.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like we now are in agreement that absent MCAS, the Max is not stable.... :-)
expert7700, Symmetre and canopus27 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:07 am

Sounds like we now are in agreement that absent MCAS, the Max is not stable.... :-)
That's not what I said. It will be up to Boeing to prove this. My point is that if Europe is expecting the MAX to be certified with part of the FCS disabled, they are opening up the same thing for the FAA to require of Airbus, which IMO is not good for the industry.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: air miles
Can't the planes be flown with MCAS turned completely off??? Obviously not intended for revenue flights, but for ferry flights couldn't the just pull the fuse on the MCAS computer and just fly the bird by hand?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
Can't the planes be flown with MCAS turned completely off??? Obviously not intended for revenue flights, but for ferry flights couldn't the just pull the fuse on the MCAS computer and just fly the bird by hand?
Obviously they can be; the correct procedure to deal with a murderous MCAS is to disable it.

The problem is that with the MCAS disabled the MAX doesn't fly like a 737.

I suppose, the ferry flights could be flown by "test" pilots, or with an artificially limited flight profile, taking longer to get to altitude (or whatever).
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Obviously they can be; the correct procedure to deal with a murderous MCAS is to disable it.

The problem is that with the MCAS disabled the MAX doesn't fly like a 737.
I think the worse issue is that with the MCAS off, there are situations in which the torque about the mass center will lead to the angle of attack increasing to the point where the plane will stall. Which is how the stability issue arises. More lift applied on the engine, ahead of the mass center, which produces a torque that cannot be counterbalanced without changing the trim, which is what the MCAS does.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
The following is a discussion about what MCAS is and is not and compares the 737 to the A 319

​​​​​​
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:34 pm

I think the worse issue is that with the MCAS off, there are situations in which the torque about the mass center will lead to the angle of attack increasing to the point where the plane will stall. Which is how the stability issue arises. More lift applied on the engine, ahead of the mass center, which produces a torque that cannot be counterbalanced without changing the trim, which is what the MCAS does.
All MCAS does is change the trim to maintain the same yoke force as the 737 NG. It does not "prevent stalls". No competent pilot would maintain a constant pressure of pull back on the yoke and intentionally fly an aircraft into a stall. There would be a stall warning anyway, at which point any competent pilot would take action to prevent the stall.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
All MCAS does is change the trim to maintain the same yoke force as the 737 NG. It does not "prevent stalls". No competent pilot would maintain a constant pressure of pull back on the yoke and intentionally fly an aircraft into a stall. There would be a stall warning anyway, at which point any competent pilot would take action to prevent the stall.
Unless they think the stall warning is false. Like AF 447.

Or the AC pilots on my SFO-YVR where the stall warning was blasting right after takeoff. They didn't push the nose down. And I'm still here to talk about it.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Funny that EASA calls the MCAS an anti-stall device though... Seems like the spin doctors have been busy lately... BTW changing the trim when the torque due to lift on the engines gets too large to be counterbalance without trim change does prevent the angle of attack moving into stall territory. So ultimately the MCAS does both things, hence what EASA says abut it. In my book the latter is more crucial, no?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
Good article on the MAX and the MCAS woes that may help clarify the issues Boeing is addressing. Interestingly the author is an engineer who writes for the financial industry. About a 10-minute read
https://seekingalpha.com/article/428...ers-view?ifp=0

His conclusions are that Boeing screwed up the design of the software but that the aircraft will be fundamentally safe once the MCAS fix is finalized and approved.
Funny that EASA calls the MCAS an anti-stall device though... Seems like the spin doctors have been busy lately... BTW changing the trim when the torque due to lift on the engines gets too large to be counterbalance without trim change does prevent the angle of attack moving into stall territory. So ultimately the MCAS does both things, hence what EASA says abut it. In my book the latter is more crucial, no?
If you think the EASA doesn't have political motivations for its actions, you are being naive.The article linked by The Lev has graphs that show the difference in flying characteristics with and without MCAS. It also has a graph that shows what the characteristics would look like if the MAX was stall prone, which it is not. It's not spin to say MCAS is not for stall prevention.If pilots ignore stall warnings, the outcome could be catastrophic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.