Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
First world pilots too (in simulator testing of pilots who were aware of the MCAS thing).

Boeing's test simulations prior to entry in service were done based on a single fault - malfunctioning MCAS. In that situation, it was relatively clear to the pilot that the symptom was runaway trim and they reacted accordingly. In both these accidents, MCAS worked exactly as intended but there was another problem - faulty AOA sensors. this meant that the pilots were getting multiple warnings at the same time not the single issue in boeing testing.

I'm not a pilot, but i can certainly see how it would take more than a couple of seconds to diagnose the root cause when my stick is shaking, horns are blaring and my screens suddenly light up like a Christmas tree.
Just for the record, I was being snarky, since there have been some suggestions that it was the lack of training / knowledge of the '3rd world pilots' that caused the crash, nothing to do with the airplane.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
October 2, 2019

tcook052 and AJchang like this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ted-over-cost/
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
A long read, but worth it. Seems like the overriding concern at Boeing was to not need new certification and pilot training and that drove all the decisions. In hindsight, that clearly should not have been the case.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jagboi
A long read, but worth it. Seems like the overriding concern at Boeing was to not need new certification and pilot training and that drove all the decisions. In hindsight, that clearly should not have been the case.
That was the deal with SW. This said, timing was also a big issue, especially with AA. So they promised. And of course engineering is always supposed to deliver whatever sales folks or bean counters promised, no matter how or how feasible. In many ways, a sad story. Especially for those of us who are engineers and even more if close to the aerospace community.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
That isn't news. The MAX marketing material was basically "737 with better gas mileage and no new training".

I'm still surprised that AC went with the MAX (320 NEO being an easier swap, I'd think). But then, there was some super discounts because of previous Boeing problems, right?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I'm still surprised that AC went with the MAX (320 NEO being an easier swap, I'd think). But then, there was some super discounts because of previous Boeing problems, right?
No expert but I think it comes down to two things:
- Boeing promised to take Embraer planes off AC's hands
- Compensation for late 787s

Last edited by Cozmo456; Oct 2, 2019 at 8:31 pm
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Why, what's the downside of this approach for Boeing?

Oh ... wait ... nevermind.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:27 am

It's not going to be back for a long, long time. If at all.

That's because it has now morphed, in a significant way, from an issue with the plane (which is obviously deeply flawed (except for first-world pilots who can fly it LOL)) to a real and substantive breach in the long standing structure for airworthiness certification.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/frictio...d=hp_lead_pos1

Friction Between U.S., European Regulators Could Delay 737 MAX Return to Service

European air-safety regulator has indicated it wants more testing on proposed revisions to flight-control computers

Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
According to "Europe says assessing 737 MAX software, downplays talk of split",

LONDON (Reuters) - The European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) said on Tuesday it was still assessing proposed changes to Boeing (BA.N) software for the grounded 737 MAX and had yet not found anything that would undermine hopes for a coordinated return to service.
We do not at this stage have any specific concerns resulting from that assessment that would mean that we could not agree to a coordinated return to service. We are in continuous contact with both the FAA and Boeing.”
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Southwest pilots sue Boeing for 737 Max damages

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...amages-461325/
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Stranger

Southwest pilots sue Boeing for 737 Max damages

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...amages-461325/
Am I the only one that find these pilot law suites weird. WestJet and Air Canada have managed to compensate for the aircraft not being in service by flying more hours on their existing fleet and contracting in other aircraft. I assume SouthWest is doing the same.

What does "Boeing’s false representations about safety made directly to SWAPA, the lawsuit adds, caused the association to agree to include the 737 Max as a term in its collective bargaining agreement with Southwest "despite its initial reluctance". actually mean. The union did not want to have it's members fly the Max that southwest was purchasing but changed their mind after Boeing convinced them to fly the aircraft?
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Full article
https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-s...37-max-return/

Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MCAS an anti-stall protection or identification system, contradicting Boeing's claim that it is only there to reproduce handling characteristics of older models.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1WQ0H8

Also,

The JATR report recommended the FAA review the stalling characteristics of the 737 MAX without MCAS and associated systems to determine if unsafe characteristics exist and if so, if a broader review of the system design was needed.
Basically confirming what some of us have been saying all along.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
AA are planning a return to service on January 16, 2020.
Newsroom - An Update on the Boeing 737 MAX - American Airlines Group, Inc.

Ron.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.