Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by YYT82
It has been almost seven months since the 737MAX aircrafts have been grounded, and aside from the first couple of months when the impacts of equipment swaps and rescheduling were felt significantly, everything seems normal now. At this point, the only entity that really needs the MAX back in the skies is Boeing. The pilots can be re-trained for other types; airlines that didn't put all their eggs in one basket have coped with the impact rather well; and passengers can't really tell the difference.

I personally don't care if the MAX flies again at all. There are more Rouge flights for YYT now, but some of us already assumed it was only a matter of time before AC rouges most domestic routes.
That is true up to a point. AC has a number of mainline aircraft that are going to begin to time out in terms of age/number of flights or have an expensive D check coming up. The E90's and mainline 767's are scheduled to leave the fleet by early 2020 (although the 767's seem to be staying longer). I suspect the Rouge flights will continue over the winter and spring but then the 767's resume the transatlantic summer schedule.

The A223's cannot come fast enough. There are 12 Max 8's build already for AC. I wouldn't be surprised to see a top up order with the 11 Max 9's getting exchanged for something else (like more 787's).

Interesting times from a fleet perspective.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 15, 2019 at 5:32 pm Reason: off topic
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Excellent read and analysis and interesting parallels to the MAX

https://theaircurrent.com/historical...-of-the-dc-10/
YOWCDNFF likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cysnows

AC Max8 parking lot.

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Where is that?
Originally Posted by After Burner
KMZJ. Marana, Arizona.
It is indeed, but OP did not include the source of the photo, Sam Chui's video flying YHM-MZJ

In another update photo to "Where in the World are AC's MAX birds"............

In today's episode, we have a flock of many colors at MWH

One is on the far right and clearly visible. Another AC MAX is toward the upper left of the photo, top of inside row, next to 2 WN birds.

Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:41 pm
Suspended

My quote from the Sept 22, 2019 Wall Street Journal

Originally Posted by 24left
......It could take until March for Air Canada to phase the bulk of its MAX aircraft into regular schedules, according to a person briefed on the details, months later than projected for U.S. operators."

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Yup. That's not happening. I remember folks laughing at me when I said they wouldn't be in the air by this October (i.e. next week)

Paging @InTheAirGuy

AC moving the goal posts to Feb 14, 2020, as per posts on this page https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...ect-ac-68.html

(Also the Journal might want to update that article)
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
AC moving the goal posts to Feb 14, 2020, as per posts on this page https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...ect-ac-68.html

(Also the Journal might want to update that article)
This isn’t news; this is catchup. These articles are perennially behind the actual re-entry target dates. It’s not expected back in service until June 2020...perhaps (probably) later.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:05 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
This isn’t news; this is catchup. These articles are perennially behind the actual re-entry target dates. It’s not expected back in service until June 2020...perhaps (probably) later.
Do you have a source for this or is it just an educated guess?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Do you have a source for this or is it just an educated guess?
My sources are unpublished (they wear familiar lapel roundels on their suits). Sadly, mine is a parroted, more than an educated statement.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-s...MWXq7ab0sa7Ls0

New document in 737 Max investigation points to chaos, pressure in MCAS development.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:53 pm

I was going to post this and take a shot at the folks here who said that the plane itself was fine, and that it was third world pilots who were the problems, and those of us who said we would not fly the bird were shrill idiots.

But then, I thought, I would not say that. That would be rude

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...732_story.html

In the messages, Mark A. Forkner, then chief technical pilot for Boeing’s 737, wrote to technical pilot Patrik Gustavsson that the MCAS was engaging “itself like craxy, ” calling the problem “egregious.”
Forkner, who had a major role in the Max, also indicated that the Boeing employees misled the Federal Aviation Administration. “So I basically lied to the regulators (unknowingly),” he wrote.

----

But I will say, I'm not getting on the plane.

And in fact, I'm still prepared to stake out my position that I will probably never have to make that decision, because, simply, it won't be back in the air.
AJchang and RangerNS like this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
But I will say, I'm not getting on the plane.

And in fact, I'm still prepared to stake out my position that I will probably never have to make that decision, because, simply, it won't be back in the air.
I basically agree with you, with a "but". As we saw in the earlier article, there are so many historical parallels with the DC-10 from 1979 and it went on to have a long flying life, so I suspect that the MAX will eventually get back in the air somehow. Probably not in the form we see now, possibly reverting back the to the wing/engine configuration of the NG and the MAX as such will cease to exist.

But who knows? If the various agencies make it go through a new type evaluation it probably cannot be certified as is, and I don't know if software is enough to make it pass, plus adding more AoA sensors.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
I basically agree with you, with a "but". As we saw in the earlier article, there are so many historical parallels with the DC-10 from 1979 and it went on to have a long flying life, so I suspect that the MAX will eventually get back in the air somehow. Probably not in the form we see now, possibly reverting back the to the wing/engine configuration of the NG and the MAX as such will cease to exist.

But who knows? If the various agencies make it go through a new type evaluation it probably cannot be certified as is, and I don't know if software is enough to make it pass, plus adding more AoA sensors.
If they are forced to change to the NG engines that is significant rework. There is a lot of aerodynamic optimization that goes into airflow around the wing and the engine. Who knows if such a configuration is sufficiently fuel efficient to make it economically viable.

I agree these aircraft will eventually fly again. Hopfully with out changes to the engine or wing. If they need to significantly compromise fuel efficiency they may all become cargo aircraft. Sounds like Amazon is looking to buy cargo 737s anyway.

Perhaps it is time for airbus to visit AC with a power point deck on their latest A220 and A320 offering.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond

I'm inclined to agree with you, I think it's likely to return to service eventually ....

But I strongly suspect that this is the end of the line for the 737 type. For both technical reasons, and now emotional ones, I can't imagine Boeing deciding in N years that they will try to squeeze yet another iteration out of the 737 design, and developing a 737 NEWEST. It's been documented that they were on the fence about building an entirely new type prior to the MAX being chosen, and so surely this debacle will tip the scales when they eventually decide they need yet another new plane.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland
If they are forced to change to the NG engines that is significant rework. There is a lot of aerodynamic optimization that goes into airflow around the wing and the engine. Who knows if such a configuration is sufficiently fuel efficient to make it economically viable.
I still think they might be able to kill the lift due to the engines by working on the cowlings. However, if more radical changes were needed, probably making changes the horizontal stabilizers would be a better option than going back to engine positions. Because of the landing gear issue. Not sure if a change to the stabilizers would require a more complex certification, type etc. But I suspect even the simplest change would be very unpalatable to Boeing and their customers timewise. Changes to the stabilizer, engine etc. would likely take more than a year.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:23 am

They won't be able to convert an existing Max back into an NG aircraft. "Reworking" the engines, the wings and all the other structural differences - would be more difficult and expensive than simply building a new NG airframe. Where would they do all these conversions and who would perform them? If the decision is made to alter the current design of the Max, the existing models will be rightfully scrapped.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
They won't be able to convert an existing Max back into an NG aircraft. "Reworking" the engines, the wings and all the other structural differences - would be more difficult and expensive than simply building a new NG airframe. Where would they do all these conversions and who would perform them? If the decision is made to alter the current design of the Max, the existing models will be rightfully scrapped.
Not if a relatively simple modification such as breaking the boundary layer on the engines, such as changing a bit cowling shapes, is the only thing required. Major modification is another issue of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.