Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Yes--well that is becoming more of a problem for sure. Thankfully, flights yesterday seemed to have restored foam and great comfort. Hammocking seats AND collapsed foam are not acceptable. I actually prefer DASH 8 seats to Rouge hammocks but none of them (rouge, collapsed or Dash) would be good for flights more than 1.5 hours!
Indeed. I raised this issue on FT. I think it was Ben L or ACYYZ/SD (probably the latter) who said I should note it with a FA, but honestly, every single ML flight i've been on has terrible collapsed foam.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:43 pm

I see Transat announced today it will convert its remaining A333s to 9 abreast seating - but will keep a 32" pitch. I'm not a Transat flyer but not sure if this is better or worse than Rouge!

Probably both are better than AC's narrow 789 seats with 30" pitch - if indeed this does occur for the select rows as originally shown.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BrotherBranwell
I see Transat announced today it will convert its remaining A333s to 9 abreast seating - but will keep a 32" pitch. I'm not a Transat flyer but not sure if this is better or worse than Rouge!

Probably both are better than AC's narrow 789 seats with 30" pitch - if indeed this does occur for the select rows as originally shown.
A 333 in 9 abreast config is definitely bad. But it's Transat, so it's to be expected.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I actually liked it compared to the ML seats with collapsed foam.
I just flew PE on the 77HD. Collapsed foam will never be a problem. Those cushions are rock hard - as in cedar plank hard. They managed to actually put in seats with some decent space, recline, and leg support, and ruin the whole thing using a foam with the density of concrete.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:24 pm

IMO this is a case of Desperate times calling for desperate measures at TS.
Transat is getting crushed by Rouge.

Funny .... Somewhere on this thread I remember a claim Transat was going to eat Rouge's lunch .... Borderline impossible to have a prediction further from reality than that one was.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

9 abreast on a 333 is 16.7". 787 at 9 abreast is 17.3" at 31" slimline. No question I'd take the Dreamliner between those two configs.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
I just flew PE on the 77HD. Collapsed foam will never be a problem. Those cushions are rock hard - as in cedar plank hard. They managed to actually put in seats with some decent space, recline, and leg support, and ruin the whole thing using a foam with the density of concrete.
+1. You are exactly right. I always ask for an extra pillow just to sit on or use a sweater otherwise those nice looking seats become very uncomfortable after a while.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Fairmont Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by DNAwizard
+1. You are exactly right. I always ask for an extra pillow just to sit on or use a sweater otherwise those nice looking seats become very uncomfortable after a while.
Should I be concerned having to fly PY on AC7 for the 14 hours duration? Should I bring some sort of cushioning?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Yyttraveler
Should I be concerned having to fly PY on AC7 for the 14 hours duration? Should I bring some sort of cushioning?
Most definitely. Today, after 4 hours, it was hard to find a comfortable position. Some of those gel/memory foam cushions might be useful. The seat is plenty wide and long to support your legs, but the foam has virtually no give.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Yyttraveler
You can get one of the gel seat cushions from Canadian Tire for about $20...then again you'd look like a noob though, but it has served me well on longer flights. amongst other things.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by yvr76
9 abreast on a 333 is 16.7". 787 at 9 abreast is 17.3" at 31" slimline. No question I'd take the Dreamliner between those two configs.
However, it appears that some of the seats on the AC 789s may be only 30" (an issue they have chosen not to clarify).

30" by 17.3" or 32" by 16.7" Both seem very nasty to me and should be avoided where possible.

Sad that the 789 situation is for mainline AC (not Rouge) and will be used presumably for flights of 12 hours and more. Perhaps even more sad that we are comparing AC's new ULH flagship aircraft with the aircraft of a low-end leisure operator.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
IMO this is a case of Desperate times calling for desperate measures at TS.
Transat is getting crushed by Rouge.

Funny .... Somewhere on this thread I remember a claim Transat was going to eat Rouge's lunch .... Borderline impossible to have a prediction further from reality than that one was.
Well, that can help them only if they can sell these extra seats. Otherwise they'll just carry around more weight.
This article
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-...oney-1.2991951
says that Transat is adding 30 seats. There are 37 full rows in Y. Are they creating a new class?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Well, that can help them only if they can sell these extra seats. Otherwise they'll just carry around more weight.
This article
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-...oney-1.2991951
says that Transat is adding 30 seats. There are 37 full rows in Y. Are they creating a new class?
TS is filling jets at junk yields and are getting lapped by Rouge. TS can't dare increase the price a penny, so they cram more seats in. Dilute yields a little further but less than incremental seats/anciliary rev from same.

Lots of persistent talk (rumour) AC mainline are nearing deal for additional A330s. Growth is out of control. Are AC (possibly) doing this for more mainline lift? OR to expedite the final 767 transfers to Rouge to drive the nail deeper into TS?

Transat is in deep trouble and likely to shrink further rather than expand. In my opinion.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: AC Elite 50K
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
TS is filling jets at junk yields and are getting lapped by Rouge. TS can't dare increase the price a penny, so they cram more seats in. Dilute yields a little further but less than incremental seats/anciliary rev from same.

Lots of persistent talk (rumour) AC mainline are nearing deal for additional A330s. Growth is out of control. Are AC (possibly) doing this for more mainline lift? OR to expedite the final 767 transfers to Rouge to drive the nail deeper into TS?

Transat is in deep trouble and likely to shrink further rather than expand. In my opinion.
I keep hearing of more 330s too (beyond all of the surprise extra 321s and 767s that they actually announced in the fleet plan)

3 things happening here:
1.) they want to put transat to bed. 767s even at rouge are like 18 inch seats, so they're a much nicer ride than 9X333s.

2.) Canada has a lot of demand to a lot of these places, its mostly economy traffic. Rouge allows AC to operate it profitably + AC can do something Transat can't it can steal junk business traffic from the US and put it in Premium rouge. The whole thing works well. At the end of the day people do prefer nonstop flights if available, with the lower costs many of these cities are profitable to return to or start(Lisbon, Manchester, Nice, Venice, Athens, Montreal-Rome, Barcelona, montreal Barcelona, Dublin) And all are being hugely boosted this year. (Tangential: But the core infrastructure doesn't change in size no matter how much AC flies, so these fixed costs are spread over more flights, more rouge even makes ML more cost competitive.)

3.) AC costs compared to US carries is dropping because it pays its staff in Canadian Dollars. Staff is the biggest Airline cost. Meaning they can sell their tickets in US dollars for less, buy most of their fuel with the fares from these passengers and pay the staff with the fares from the Canadians... But the CAD is also down against the RMB and many others. Quite significantly. Like we're talking 8-10%. That plus AC's cost cutting... Think of the demand they can stimulate/traffic they can steal.

Additionally they'll pay 62 CAD cents for fuel this year. Vs 90 in the 4th quarter. They have a perfect storm, and a once in a decade opportunity to grab a huge share of the trans atlantic and transpacific market from US and European Carriers.

And the strategy behind all of this is working. They want to have 50%+ marketshare on all major routes they're running. Just look how fast they took control of the YVR->LAX market. AS (market leader) and WS couldn't cut capacity fast enough.YVR->HKG they're back to 50% too. (CATH has a lot of transit traffic) And YUL->CDG is another target that Means taking on Weak Air France (And they are weak), and Transat. The HD put the pressure on, so they're ratcheting it up by adding an 767 extra for high season to Montreal and Toronto + Nice last year. It'll be interesting to see the Canada Vegas passenger numbers too for this season - as they're going after WS with a rather large capacity bump...

Also they'll have 8 7879s by next March. So all of that capacity is coming to a theatre near you summer 2016 + the 777W refit.

I for one hope it works. Do you know how many people they'll have to hire to work all of those flights? 000's
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by LittleYHZ
Staff is the biggest Airline cost.
You have spoken this before but it is still wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.