Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tracon
WS
UA P fares.
Yes, I forgot about WS. It's an option even when departing from YXU now (albeit I don't know for how long). But that's just about it.

US P fares require extra customs. That's a no.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Yes, I forgot about WS. It's an option even when departing from YXU now (albeit I don't know for how long). But that's just about it.

US P fares require extra customs. That's a no.
As you've realized, there are plenty of other alternatives.

As long as people keep buying ACr for whatever reasons they use to justify the purchase (more direct, competitive price, no transit through US, etc), rouge will continue to exist. The only way it goes away is if people stop buying it (anyone remember Tango?).
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Get Nexus, never sweat transiting the US again.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite

It may be easy to avoid Rouge if you travel to Rouge destinations in the USA. But what your alternatives if your favourite vacation spot is in the Caribbean? Fly TS with it's 189 seat 738's (or 310/330 with 16.5" wide seats) or WG? Or book Rouge Plus? Isn't it exactly what the executives want?
BTW, i tried it when I was booking our family trip for June. Since it's 4 of us, we decided to drive to Toronto. That widened our choices. But as it happened, avoiding Rouge would mean to use just as crappy product as Rouge for more money. So at the end of the day we are taking Rouge to PUJ. But at least it's a 763.
You may have defined the reason why Rouge was created. This is what the majority of the vacationing public wants to pay for. for those who are prepared to pay more, they provide Premium Rouge. I agree that it isn't the same as a pod, but it is still a pretty nice product.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
It may be easy to avoid Rouge if you travel to Rouge destinations in the USA. But what your alternatives if your favourite vacation spot is in the Caribbean?
Vote with your wallet.

Fly an American carrier and transit through the USA. On the way down, US immigration and customs are done at the start of your trip, and you'll rarely if ever have to clear security when you change planes.

Granted, you'll need to clear US CBP at your point of entry on the way home, but if you have Global Entry that's a mere bump in the road.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by ffsim
The only way it goes away is if people stop buying it (anyone remember Tango?).
Don't hundreds if not thousands of people still buy and fly in tango everyday? Maybe the brand on the metal went away, but tango certainly didn't.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by djkyyc
Don't hundreds if not thousands of people still buy and fly in tango everyday? Maybe the brand on the metal went away, but tango certainly didn't.
I was referring to another one of AC's attempts at a LCC, not their cheapest fare classes.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG2MM
You may have defined the reason why Rouge was created. This is what the majority of the vacationing public wants to pay for. for those who are prepared to pay more, they provide Premium Rouge. I agree that it isn't the same as a pod, but it is still a pretty nice product.

Up on Rouge 1965 yesterday to YYZ from BGI. Fin 468 an A321 . 1st flight for this a/c was October 2015.

The J cabin was very comfortable and the staff were very good. Aircraft clean and the airbus felt roomier vs the southbound B763.The flight was 100% capacity ,as was the West jet flight leaving 20 minutes later same routing.
ACr can pull the old 763s and service this route with the A321s,IMO. (they can also go mainline 777s again peak season but that is a different discussion)

Anywhere you go in Barbados and there are Canadians present, there tends to be a discussion on Air Canada Rouge. Most of what I hear is negative ,BUT, those are from passengers flying Y cabin. My 2 cents
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Flew first time in Rouge last saturday, MBJ-YYZ, in a 763 and paid the $40 to get the bulkhead at row 12. It was very comfortable and prob the only way I will fly Rouge again.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:39 am

Flew on a Rouge plane for the first time last week FLL-YYZ in rouge premium. Not as nice as regular business, but it was more than adequate for a 3 hour flight.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by acysb87
The J cabin was very comfortable and the staff were very good. Aircraft clean and the airbus felt roomier vs the southbound B763.
That's because the J seats on the A319/321 are about 83x wider than those on the B763

Originally Posted by OilyDuck
Flew on a Rouge plane for the first time last week FLL-YYZ in rouge premium. Not as nice as regular business, but it was more than adequate for a 3 hour flight.
Based on a quick search of the timetables for YYZ-FLL, it looks like you were flying one of the Airbuses. Aside from the lack of seat-back IFE, what exactly made it "not as nice as regular business" class? Genuinely curious here... can't find any appreciable difference other than IFE between mainline on an Airbus.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
So, I've returned to Rouge after an absence. I was holding a Southwestern Latitude Flight Pass at the time that all those routes were 'rouged.' My wife and I were upgraded on all flights, but our experience on all 4 initial trips was generally poor. Her special meal was never loaded on any Rouge flight (but was for any mainline connection), and the staff had a consistent habit of disappearing. It was inconsistent whether you'd even get a drink refill. So, I moved all my travel on rouge routes to United. We're usually 3-4 personal trips and anywhere from 10-20 business trips on these transborder routes a year.

With the change to AQD, I decided to try Rouge again to see if there was any improvement. Certainly, the upgrade in seats on the A319 was a big plus over the former 'blocked' middle seat. Lots of room. The B767 is a bit less comfortable, but certainly very fine when I'm travelling with my wife.

We've flown 3 trips in the last 3 months in Premium Rouge, 2 to PHX/1 to LAS. I have been thoroughly impressed with the service on all legs of the journey. The SD's (are they called that on rouge) have been outstanding. In fact, I would put three of them in my top 5 SD experiences ever. Always available and checking on the cabin. Drink always refreshed as it was finished. One of the SD's had actually been studying the manifest pre-departure, and when he was taking the orders, started by telling her that her SPML was loaded and didn't hand her a menu. We've never had the happen on anytime, even mainline. Normally, it's just an automatic handing of the menu and then when she mentions there should be a special meal, they say they'll check.

I know that's a small thing, but to me it was an indication of attention to detail and customer service, far more so than calling me by name.

I don't know if this will hold, but the experience has been completely opposite of our initial experience, and I'm impressed. Just don't ask me to sit in the back. The end result is that I'm now holding a Southwestern Latitude, a Southwestern Flex, and a Florida Latitude flight pass. And with the ongoing eUp promotion, it's been pretty painless to ride up front.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Get Nexus, never sweat transiting the US again.
Best $50. I ever spent.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:40 pm

Greetings all

I am trying to figure out the best option in regards to getting to Vegas (from Ottawa) at the end of June. I usually am able to score a sweet UA P fare, but alas not anymore.

As such, these are my options:

1. YOW-YVR (AC 163 in J [A320]) then YVR-LAS (AC 1898 in Pr [A319]). I leave YOW at 6:55am and arrive in LAS at 1:58pm. cost: $899.71 (heh, that same combo last year $963.72)

2. YOW-YYZ (AC ML E90/A320) then YYZ-LAS (AC 1851 [B763]). I can leave YOW as early as 5:45am and arrive in LAS at 11:17am

(a) All "J" $904.23
(b) Y (Tango) to YYZ then Pr to LAS $770.88 if I leave YOW on the 5:45am or 6:30am flight or $786.63 if I leave YOW at 7:00am
(c) All Y (Tango) If I leave at 5:45am, $283.68; if at 6:30am or 7:00am, $230.13 for all fares add $53.55 (for 28C on the 763), and MAYBE $10.50 for a regular seat to YYZ

Really I am torn between options 1, 2b, and 2c.

I've sat in Rouge Plus and Premium Rouge (2x2) on the A319, but nothing on the B763

EDIT: I have no idea what is going on with me, but I appear to be having difficulty formulating proper sentences at the moment. Hopefully this post makes some sense LOL

Last edited by yowstudent; May 2, 2016 at 8:46 pm
Old May 2, 2016, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
Greetings all

I am trying to figure out the best option in regards to getting to Vegas (from Ottawa) at the end of June. I usually am able to score a sweet UA P fare, but alas not anymore.

As such, these are my options:

1. YOW-YVR (AC 163 in J [A320]) then YVR-LAS (AC 1898 in Pr [A319]). I leave YOW at 6:55am and arrive in LAS at 1:58pm. cost: $899.71 (heh, that same combo last year $963.72)

2. YOW-YYZ (AC ML E90/A320) then YYZ-LAS (AC 1851 [B763]). I can leave YOW as early as 5:45am and arrive in LAS at 11:17am

(a) All "J" $904.23
(b) Y (Tango) to YYZ then Pr to LAS $770.88 if I leave YOW on the 5:45am or 6:30am flight or $786.63 if I leave YOW at 7:00am
(c) All Y (Tango) If I leave at 5:45am, $283.68; if at 6:30am or 7:00am, $230.13 for all fares add $53.55 (for 28C on the 763), and MAYBE $10.50 for a regular seat to YYZ

Really I am torn between options 1, 2b, and 2c.

I've sat in Rouge Plus and Premium Rouge (2x2) on the A319, but nothing on the B763

EDIT: I have no idea what is going on with me, but I appear to be having difficulty formulating proper sentences at the moment. Hopefully this post makes some sense LOL
Nah, your sentences are just fine

The only problem is you're trying to decide between Y and J which is like, well, apples to oranges.

If you want to sit in J, I would do (1) and not even think twice. Price is reasonable and you'll be happier in "J" on a 319 rather than on a 763.

But if you want to get there for about 1/3 the price, (2c) is the way to go and the preferred seats on the 763 are more than enough for a YYZ-LAS run. Vegas for like $300... tough to beat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.