Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
-Now, Rouge flight 5. Booked mainline. Subsequently Rouged. Keeping the flight, unfortunately, because I'm traveling with 3 others who are on the same flight. While Rouge is awful, I don't intend to demand that others change their plans. Sticking with it, and this will absolutely be the last time I set foot on one of those bone-crunching, knee-twisting, disgusting A319s.
Do you find the extra 6" in row 4 not worth paying for if you detest rows 12-31 so much? If your flight was Rouged after the fact, row 4 should have had all 6 seats open after the swap.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
I've flown back of the bus and Row 4.

In the back, I was unable to sit in a normal posture for the full duration, pls I had the knees of the person behind me drilled into my back.

In Row 4, I had ample legroom. But the pax behind me had her knees jammed into my back for the entire flight. Not pleasant, but it clearly could have been worse. (Ie I could have been in her seat)
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
What exactly is your point with this post? Or any of the others where you do nothing but snipe at people or fire off rounds of sarcasm?

Thank you for predicting my future and my travel needs without ever having met me. And for, evidently, calling me a liar.

Here is my Rouge history, since you seem to require details. Although I'm sure this will simply attract more sniping and/or sarcasm.

- Rouge flight 1: Rouged. Flew it, expecting it wouldn't be as awful as I'd heard. It was worse.
- Rouge flight 2: Knowingly booked Rouge. Last minute, best flight time, and was able to get a plus seat. Thought that would make it better. It wasn't.
- Rouge flights 3 and 4: Both Rouged after initially booking mainline. After flight 2, I called AC and cancelled both for a full refund. Happily flew competitors (IIRC, I replaced those two specific trips with WS and DL)
(After then, no Rouge bookings on Rouge routes. Happily booked and flew other airlines.)
-Now, Rouge flight 5. Booked mainline. Subsequently Rouged. Keeping the flight, unfortunately, because I'm traveling with 3 others who are on the same flight. While Rouge is awful, I don't intend to demand that others change their plans. Sticking with it, and this will absolutely be the last time I set foot on one of those bone-crunching, knee-twisting, disgusting A319s.

Happy now? Have I sufficiently proved my case? Shall we all await the dripping-with-sarcasm reply?

A request: open dialogue is why this forum is so wonderful. Simply because you don't share others' opinions is no reason to take potshots at them or infer that they're liars. And do drop the sarcasm. The old adage is quite true. (If unsure, Google "sarcasm is" and see what pops up.)

^^^ FlyerJ

Too bad Mr. Penguin is busy with the YUL Micro-Do to enjoy this post as well - without 7Up on his keyboard.

Some of us eagerly await your "bone-crunching, knee-twisting" trip report
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:25 pm

Me too!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:46 pm

Happy now? Have I sufficiently proved my case? Shall we all await the dripping-with-sarcasm reply?
You made your point re: Rouge 200 pages ago. And again 175 pages ago, and again ...
We get it. You find A319 Rouge the 2nd most offensive thing in the World - slightly less offensive than paying the market driven premium for rows with more legroom
A request: open dialogue is why this forum is so wonderful. Simply because you don't share others' opinions is no reason to take potshots at them or infer that they're liars.
But it's OK to question the logic/intelligence/sanity/valuation ability of people who book and pay for Rouge though, right?
I didn't mean to infer you're a liar. In fact, I respect you sticking to your guns avoiding any product you don't like. Just don't assume your position on the product is any more enlightened that the next guy's.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite

Me too!
Funny, JaysonA and Wildcat and me were talking about Rouge tonight. Jayson has never set foot on Rouge and Wildcat and I have. Honestly, row 4 (rouge plus) on the 319 was OK. Premium Rouge was OK for me too since I had the row to myself (I stretched out and commented to the FA I didn't know what people were going on about)

Never been on a regular Rouge seat although I will suspect it sucks. I think I had equated flying on Rouge to being bitten by bedbugs in a third world country, it turned out to be not as bad. (perspective is important)

For me anyways, I would avoid Rouge just like many of you, but if I had to fly Rouge (AND I had status), i'd be OK. If I didn't, I'd rather get ebola. (too soon?)
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Not sure why people are complaining about rouge plus. rouge is 29" so that's understandable, and rouge premium does not match mainline J's hard or soft product.

rouge plus is 35" seat pitch with 18" width. Yes, they're slimline seats, but the flights are usually not that long so it's tolerable.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
You find A319 Rouge the 2nd most offensive thing in the World - slightly less offensive than paying the market driven premium for rows with more legroom
So far, when I've chosen other airlines over AC on a Rouge route, I've been able to get full legroom without paying any premium at all. In fact, in my short few months of disloyalty to AC, I've often paid less.

The other guys' standard Y seats/seat pitch have all been better than Rouge Y. (WS and AS significantly better than Rouge. DL, US and UAX slightly better. But all have been better.) No premium price. Often a lower price.

Based on what I've paid and the product that I've received, I don't agree that there is a "market driven premium" for human-sized seat pitch.

As for paying a premium for E+ seating, I have absolutely no problem with there being premium pricing it. I've never stated that I find E+ seat pricing offensive, so I'm at a loss to understand how you attribute such a statement to me. (I've purchased that product myself a number of times - on UA - and have usually found it to be a good value.) As your accusation in your post is in error, I suggest you therefore edit or retract.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
Not sure why people are complaining about rouge plus. rouge is 29" so that's understandable, and rouge premium does not match mainline J's hard or soft product.

rouge plus is 35" seat pitch with 18" width. Yes, they're slimline seats, but the flights are usually not that long so it's tolerable.
My issues with RougePlus, based on my experience, are that the seat pitch for Row 12 - immediately behind the Plus row 4 - causes Row 12 pax knees to be driven into the backs of the Row 4 seats. Unlike other slimline seats that I've seen recently, Rouge's have no hard shell -- only fabric. So the knees were directly in my back for the duration. (That was YYC-LAS. Three hours isn't generally a long flight, but it's not overly pleasant with knees in my spine.)

My other challenge: On the entire aircraft, there are a grand total of 6 'Plus' seats. Really, 4 possible seats if you don't care for the middle. That's a pretty tiny portion of the available seats on an aircraft to try to get, and I think they're in high demand from frequent Rouge fliers and tall folks.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
My issues with RougePlus, based on my experience, are that the seat pitch for Row 12 - immediately behind the Plus row 4 - causes Row 12 pax knees to be driven into the backs of the Row 4 seats. Unlike other slimline seats that I've seen recently, Rouge's have no hard shell -- only fabric. So the knees were directly in my back for the duration. (That was YYC-LAS. Three hours isn't generally a long flight, but it's not overly pleasant with knees in my spine.)

My other challenge: On the entire aircraft, there are a grand total of 6 'Plus' seats. Really, 4 possible seats if you don't care for the middle. That's a pretty tiny portion of the available seats on an aircraft to try to get, and I think they're in high demand from frequent Rouge fliers and tall folks.
I've been lucky that that hasn't happened to me. Never felt someone's knees in the back of me...(again!), just lucky I suppose. (row 4)
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Good points. Yes, the plus seats are very lacking.

I asked in the AC thread why they didn't just remove 1 row of seats to move the seat pitch to 30" and add an extra row or two of plus seats. Apparently the fixed position of the exit rows makes this proposition more challenging. In any case, if they're going to keep Y and 29", more than 6 seats need to be offered.

Given that they just solved this problem for widebodies domestically (by selling PY as Y+) maybe we'll see some movement on the hard product with the rouge 319s.

Most pax don't complain about the rouge 767s domestically - 30" pitch, premium rouge has wider seats and lots of plus seats.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:11 am

So far, when I've chosen other airlines over AC on a Rouge route, I've been able to get full legroom without paying any premium at all.
The other guys' standard Y seats/seat pitch have all been better than Rouge Y. (WS and AS significantly better than Rouge.
Oh, hey, on that note ....

NOV4, 2014 - WestJet Airlines is considering adding another row of seats on its planes to drive higher revenues after it puts in a new entertainment system beginning next year.
Chief executive Gregg Saretsky said Tuesday passengers won't notice any change in leg room after it installs new slim line seats equipped with the Wi-Fi system. The new seats will give an extra inch of leg room, but would be removed if the airline adds six extra seats in its Boeing 737 planes.
"The impact on our brand is going to be positive because we're going to provide more features for our guests... and the opportunity to densify the fleet gives (us) a chance to further reduce our fares," Saretsky said after the company reported its third-quarter results.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
"and the opportunity to densify the fleet gives (us) a chance to further reduce our fares," Saretsky said after the company reported its third-quarter results.[/I]

I LOVE that word "densify"

According to Merriam-Webster (and I laugh as I post this):

transitive verb
: to make denser : compress

LOLOL
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Any suggestions on what rows to pick or avoid when being in Rouge Premium (767's & 319)?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:26 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Oh, hey, on that note ....

NOV4, 2014 - WestJet Airlines is considering adding another row of seats on its planes to drive higher revenues after it puts in a new entertainment system beginning next year.
Chief executive Gregg Saretsky said Tuesday passengers won't notice any change in leg room after it installs new slim line seats equipped with the Wi-Fi system. The new seats will give an extra inch of leg room, but would be removed if the airline adds six extra seats in its Boeing 737 planes.
"The impact on our brand is going to be positive because we're going to provide more features for our guests... and the opportunity to densify the fleet gives (us) a chance to further reduce our fares," Saretsky said after the company reported its third-quarter results.
Any bets on the percentage chance they actually reduce fares with the densification?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.