Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC Elite 50K
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
I recall that as well, and also recall the gleeful Air Canada PR crowing about what a glowing success "ZIP" was, too!

(I'd be thrilled with either a Tango or a ZIP aircraft rather than Rouge's LegCrusher(TM) 319. Only one more RT on Rouge for me until I am officially Rouge-free for good. My kneecaps are looking forward to it.)
Zip was crushed by oil prices. Fuel prices went from $20.00 a barrel in 2001 to about $50.00 when Zip shut in 2004. Its fuel guzling 737-200s just could not make money. I believe that was the same year Westjet canceled all growth and wrote down and retired all of its 200s and recorded its as far as I can recall only yearly loss...

The situation was so dire that the unions gave in and the concessions for Tango were applied to the whole company. Hence Tango as a separate entity was no longer a requirement.

I'll note to all of you who are making comparisons between Zip/Tango/Song etc and rouge that rouge exists in a very different reality. All of the above competed against their mother ship carrier, which rouge doesn't, and all of the above aimed to compete on price, which rouge also doesn't.

Not to mention that oil prices are ebbing right now and have been for a few years - which is actually likely to make more routes viable at the bottom end.

Also if rumours on the pilot agreement are true Air Canada will likely be exercising basically all of its wide body options or retiring nothing it currently operates.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ffsim
Interesting policy. Where does your company get these historical T-7 prices?
Can't give away all my secrets

Actually, I'm not entirely sure. I could guess, but I'd likely be wrong.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Can't give away all my secrets

Actually, I'm not entirely sure. I could guess, but I'd likely be wrong.
Doesn't hurt that your company owns certain software programs.

Last edited by kwflyer; Oct 7, 2014 at 3:08 pm
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
I recall that as well, and also recall the gleeful Air Canada PR crowing about what a glowing success "ZIP" was, too!
Same crowing regarding Air Transat in their early stages too ... and that might be a more appropriate comparison for Rouge.

Last edited by CloudsBelow; Oct 7, 2014 at 7:55 am
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I must be a glutton for punishment. Flew my 6th Rouge segment this year yesterday. Two CUN trips, a Vegas trip and now PHX. Flown in row 4 (woo hoo, legroom), J and various other seats incl exit row. One thing is clear, the grumbling from Rouge flyers is not getting better. Overheard a spirited conversation from a couple of J customers about switching from AC/Rouge to other carriers on any Rouge sector. Several people around me incl colleagues whining about seat pitch. The guy next to me in the exit row was in the middle seat and he was 7fl. Made for a very uncomfortable flight for both him and me as the only way he could sit was to have his feet in my space. He even offered to buy the person in 18F drinks if he could switch with her. I did not bring out the ruler but looks like even the exit row in Rouge has less pitch than AC mainline. 5 hr flight to PHX and back was very uncomfortable and I will have to find flights with a connection to avoid Rouge where possible. FAs were polite and friendly. I would suggest they pick up garbage/cans after food/beverage service quickly - having your already cramped space further diminished by a tray for an hour only adds pain.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I'm on YYZPHX next week, and not in row 4 (it was full). I am wait listed for upgrade but it is J1, so slim chance. At least I have an aisle. If you're on my flight, I'll say excuse me in advance for obstructing the cart and tripping you on your way to the lav.

My thing about the eUps was: you want TEN eUps for this?? Even in the premium, it is NOT the same experience as J mainline. Clearly, people are so desperate to avoid anything aft of row 4 that they're buying those J and Rouge+ seats, but even so, compared with what you get for 10 eUps on mainline, i.e., maybe a pod, the only thing that makes Rouge J worth 10 eUps is not sitting in row 20-something with your knees around your ears.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by vernonc
I must be a glutton for punishment. Flew my 6th Rouge segment this year yesterday. Two CUN trips, a Vegas trip and now PHX. Flown in row 4 (woo hoo, legroom), J and various other seats incl exit row. One thing is clear, the grumbling from Rouge flyers is not getting better. Overheard a spirited conversation from a couple of J customers about switching from AC/Rouge to other carriers on any Rouge sector. Several people around me incl colleagues whining about seat pitch. The guy next to me in the exit row was in the middle seat and he was 7fl. Made for a very uncomfortable flight for both him and me as the only way he could sit was to have his feet in my space. He even offered to buy the person in 18F drinks if he could switch with her. I did not bring out the ruler but looks like even the exit row in Rouge has less pitch than AC mainline. 5 hr flight to PHX and back was very uncomfortable and I will have to find flights with a connection to avoid Rouge where possible. FAs were polite and friendly. I would suggest they pick up garbage/cans after food/beverage service quickly - having your already cramped space further diminished by a tray for an hour only adds pain.
It is not uncommon to see 10-15 pax in Y standing up for the majority of the flight when the seat belt sign is off. I have noticed this is part of the reasons why many Y pax are using the J lavatory. You would have to navigate a lot of people to get to the back.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kwflyer
It is not uncommon to see 10-15 pax in Y standing up for the majority of the flight when the seat belt sign is off. I have noticed this is part of the reasons why many Y pax are using the J lavatory. You would have to navigate a lot of people to get to the back.
There were a couple of jokes around the seat with the most legroom being the lavatory and maybe thats why people were taking their time in there. my seatmate was tempted to go sit in the washroom for a half hour just so he could stretch his legs
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: AC APE, AA
Originally Posted by kwflyer
Although it does not happen often A/C do encounter severe clear air turbulence without warning. As someone who has seen the injuries that ensued to unrestrained cabin crew and passengers I find this very disturbing.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by vernonc
There were a couple of jokes around the seat with the most legroom being the lavatory and maybe thats why people were taking their time in there. my seatmate was tempted to go sit in the washroom for a half hour just so he could stretch his legs
Amongst other things
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Flew YYZ PHX on Rouge.... Don't do it!

I had booked mainline but got Rouged... Plane had IT issues and we spent 3 hours on the tarmac, then 2 hours back at the gate then a further five hour delay while they flew in another plane (a Rouge plane, of course... Heaven forbid use a mainline plane when you've just Rouged the route).

3 hours in Rouge economy on the tarmac was a he*l to never be repeated.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:41 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by lostinthewash
Flew YYZ PHX on Rouge.... Don't do it!

I had booked mainline but got Rouged... Plane had IT issues and we spent 3 hours on the tarmac, then 2 hours back at the gate then a further five hour delay while they flew in another plane (a Rouge plane, of course... Heaven forbid use a mainline plane when you've just Rouged the route).

3 hours in Rouge economy on the tarmac was a he*l to never be repeated.
I understand people disdain for the rouge product, but how exactly is this a Rouge issue? Could have easily happened to ML or any other airline, no?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by tireman77
I understand people disdain for the rouge product, but how exactly is this a Rouge issue? Could have easily happened to ML or any other airline, no?
It is an ex-mainline aircraft flown by mainline pilots (though under different rates) and maintained by mainline line maintenance... so likely would have played out the same with a ML aircraft. Except the wait would have been less unpleasant with AVOD and more comfortable seating.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:13 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
It is an ex-mainline aircraft flown by mainline pilots (though under different rates) and maintained by mainline line maintenance... so likely would have played out the same with a ML aircraft. Except the wait would have been less unpleasant with AVOD and more comfortable seating.
Agreed. Just like the flight is less unpleasant with AVOD and more pitch.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Rouge Seat Pitch

Far be it for me to distract members from sharing views on Rouge seat pitch and other Rouge adventures, but....today's freak-out and fun comments can be found on FT main page with this story "Are international air passengers about to be subjected to 'economy minus'?"
Keep an eye on sales of KneeDefender

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.