Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tireman77
Not withstanding the words of the pilot (who might or might not have access to real information) I do not think the rouging domestic flights is in the cards.

Where AC differentiates itself from WS, PD et. al. is by offering a true J cabin, lounges, and connections to a global network. Many domestic business travellers demand these services, as well as business travellers from other countries flying into Canada.

rouge will work on markets without this customer base, but for AC to keep this large group of higher margin travellers (if you can call anything in the airline industry 'high margin') they need to keep offering mainline services.
I doubt ACPA would allow mainline to go like that.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Where AC differentiates itself from WS, PD et. al. is by offering a true J cabin
Be interesting to see where the numbers are trending with respect to paid J - Up, down, stable...?

When I started travelling for business 20 years ago, it seemed like paid J for business travel was not that uncommon amongst my peers.

Today, I don't know anyone personally who travels for work who gets to fly paid J (obviously these people exist - I read their posts here - But I've never met anyone).

Would also be interesting to see how the numbers compare inside and outside of the triangle.

and connections to a global network. Many domestic business travellers demand these services, as well as business travellers from other countries flying into Canada.
All you need to do is interline bags and you have 'connections to a global network.' 17 years into the Star Alliance, and even simple things like seat assignments and check-in seem to be nearly impossible. Sure, United and Avianca will let me into their lounge, but I'd hardly call that 'connections to a global network.'
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I've flown paid J a handful of times. Usually only when it's a good deal, the only deal, or close (10-20%) to the price of a bad Y deal. I also buy LMUs if the deal is good, so far only on UA.

I've billed it to my clients but we never have to specify class of service. Almost all of the travel I bill to the clients has to be pre-approved with a PO cut in advance, so I'm sure if they felt what we were billing was out of line, they would not approve it. These are relatively large corporations with total revenues somewhere between 1B and 100B a year.

That being said, I know the clients themselves get to fly paid J on international long haul. It's a corporate travel policy, so it could be an 80k a year mid level manager, or a high level exec enjoying that benefit.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:39 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by gglave
Be interesting to see where the numbers are trending with respect to paid J - Up, down, stable...?

When I started travelling for business 20 years ago, it seemed like paid J for business travel was not that uncommon amongst my peers.

Today, I don't know anyone personally who travels for work who gets to fly paid J (obviously these people exist - I read their posts here - But I've never met anyone).

Would also be interesting to see how the numbers compare inside and outside of the triangle.

All you need to do is interline bags and you have 'connections to a global network.' 17 years into the Star Alliance, and even simple things like seat assignments and check-in seem to be nearly impossible. Sure, United and Avianca will let me into their lounge, but I'd hardly call that 'connections to a global network.'
Indeed, I too am curious as to how many people actually pay for J. I believe with the layouts of the 787-9 and the refurbished 777s, we will have a good idea of the tendency. The 787 dropped 17% the number of J versus the 767, although the new PE does skew the data a little.

There are, of course, alternatives to the 'Classic' airline model, but I am guessing that there is still a large portion of travellers, mostly business travellers, who like/need/want that model. If not, this forum wouldn't exist, people would be leaving FFPs (although they might be, but not in significant numbers...yet), etc.

I personally enjoy the benefits offered by *G when travelling airlines arose the world. Especially when IRROPS pop up, or you need a last minute change and a smile isn't quite enough.

Since you ate E50k *G, I assume you do too, at least a bit.

My point, on a more macro level, is that although AC has has success with Rouge on many routes, I don't believe they would have the same success on most DOM/TATL/TPAC/SA/TB where business travellers outnumber the others, at least on a monetary level.

On a side note, I find it funny hearing, almost simultaneously, cries of Rouge will not last and AC will Rouge the entire fleet. I didn't know Chicken Little flew AC...
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've only flown premium rouge so far, but has AC started charging for IFE on the Y cabin yet? This was part of the plan, but I wonder if they'd backed off due to the rouge backlash. Charging for IFE, despite having to provide your own iPad is one more differentiation from mainline.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yvr76
I've only flown premium rouge so far, but has AC started charging for IFE on the Y cabin yet? This was part of the plan, but I wonder if they'd backed off due to the rouge backlash. Charging for IFE, despite having to provide your own iPad is one more differentiation from mainline.
They were not charging when I flew in August using my own iPad. Given the selection I'm glad they are not because it's not worth paying for.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
About to fly the a319 rogue for the first time, I'm in 4c and parents are in premium row 2 . 767 was brutal so I'm hoping this isn't as bad...

Yyc-lax
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by gglave

It has to be shrinking, higher up executives and people in certain industries.
I am in engineering, the older guys complain now that they don't get paid J, while they used to get it places like LAX and LAS from yyz. I've never gotten paid J since I have been here, (I'm 31).

My wife, in the oil industry based in Toronto, gets paid J for anything over 10 hours duration, or if she flies a certain amount a month. She spends a week a month in dubai, and flies back and forth in paid J. She's not even a Sr. employee or anything. She actually flies on Etihad, and gets driven the final hour since they gave her company a really good rate.

My dad was a higher up at a certain crown corp through the 90's, paid J everywhere including YUL-YYZ which he did every other week it seemed.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Wallace99
It has to be shrinking, higher up executives and people in certain industries.
I am in engineering, the older guys complain now that they don't get paid J, while they used to get it places like LAX and LAS from yyz. I've never gotten paid J since I have been here, (I'm 31).

My wife, in the oil industry based in Toronto, gets paid J for anything over 10 hours duration, or if she flies a certain amount a month. She spends a week a month in dubai, and flies back and forth in paid J. She's not even a Sr. employee or anything. She actually flies on Etihad, and gets driven the final hour since they gave her company a really good rate.

My dad was a higher up at a certain crown corp through the 90's, paid J everywhere including YUL-YYZ which he did every other week it seemed.
I work for a multi billion dollar int'l company which all of you i'm sure would know by name. Even senior country executives and senior managers do not get to fly paid J (before the last year or so you could), unless they get area presidential approval, which doesn't happen. This also is the case for long haul travel (Y for all). Senior executives (aka C level execs) I would presume fly private. (not sure though...)
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: AC E75; A3 *G; SPG PLAT; NEXUS
I work for a multi billion dollar telecom company based in Scandinavia - and our policy is that everyone from the CEO on down flys economy. Upgrades are on your own points or co-pay. So yes - I also wonder who exactly is flying paid J these days ! (Maybe government employees flying on our tax dollars ??).
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: AC E75; A3 *G; SPG PLAT; NEXUS
Oh - and I don't just mean YYZ-YUL flights. YYZ-PEK or YYZ-PVG are also cattle class. All 13.5 hours of it. (Yuck)
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Just flew the 319 row 4. Comparable to mainline. Good flight i had empty middle. Rogue plus is like Euro biz.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:04 am
Suspended

I personally enjoy the benefits offered by *G when travelling airlines arose the world. Especially when IRROPS pop up, or you need a last minute change and a smile isn't quite enough.
If I have an LH ticket and am *G via AC and I need to make a last minute change, what benefit does my status give me?

As far as I understand it, I need to pay the change fee regardless. There is no *G benefit for last minute changes. Unless there is something I don't know, so please educate me.

On a side note, I find it funny hearing, almost simultaneously, cries of Rouge will not last and AC will Rouge the entire fleet. I didn't know Chicken Little flew AC...
Both can happen, just that one may follow the other.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Just flew the 319 row 4. Comparable to mainline. Good flight i had empty middle. Rogue plus is like Euro biz.
Euro biz is not comparable to AC mainline biz.

So you have A != B, B = C, C = A ....

logic fail.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by tyberius
Euro biz is not comparable to AC mainline biz.

So you have A != B, B = C, C = A ....

logic fail.
Maybe he meant 4C which is Rouge Plus was like mainline Economy. I agree that Premium Rouge on the A319 is in no way comparable to mainline domestic !J...not even close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.