Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:40 pm

Looks to be over MPM at 14,194, assuming CMB is 13,366.

You're okay with the JFK/EWR (and LGA, for that matter). I've done JFK/EWR before, and I"m doing JFK/LGA soon.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:02 pm

Am I ok going NRT-JFK-YVR? It seems to me like im backtracking....
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by aleks77
Am I ok going NRT-JFK-YVR? It seems to me like im backtracking....
Doesn't matter as long as you stay within MPM.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:04 pm

One more question, If I plan on doing an open-jaw at CMB, is this basically the same as me booking 2 one-way rewards? I might be able to do a first class flight on one of the legs but not the other, so would rather do 2 one-ways so im only paying the extra points on the leg that has first in it.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Stuga
I'm in the middle of a mini rtw and disaster struck. 5 pages have been ripped out of the middle of my passport. I'm currently in Bali it's Thursday 4:30 pm local time and I'm supposed to fly to Taipei in 24 hours.

There's no Canadian embassy in Bali and to get a replacement passport sent from Jakarta will take at least a week.

The photo page of my passport is fine and the pages ripped out were all blank and I still have them. I think if I just hand the passport to the Bali immigration they wouldn't even notice and stamp my exit beside the entry stamp. I'm very concerned about the Taiwanese officers denying entry and my next stop after that is Tokyo which decreases my chances of flying around with this passport even further.

I'm thinking about calling aeroplan when they open and abandoning the Taipei stop to fly to Jakarta and sort this out in person.

I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Wanted to give an update. This might not have been the best thread to post this issue in the first place but hopefully I can at least serve as a data point for how much damage to a passport someone can get away with.

I contacted the Jakarta embassy and realized my trip would have been completely ruined if I had to get a new passport there. To continue travelling I would have had to apply for a temp passport together with a regular passport. Temp takes 5-7 days and regular 15-20. If I had to go straight back to Canada I could have gotten an emergency travel document which is also 5-7 days. Plus there's all kinds of ridiculous document requirements and guarantor signatures since I obviously don't have my birth certificate with me. I will now be protecting my passport like the holy Grail when I travel.

So I had to just try to get through the rest of my trip with my passport with pages missing. I always hand my passport to immigration with the picture page open but I adopted a strategy of sticking my boarding pass a few pages before the damage so they can look at the picture, then the passport is bookmarked to a good page for them to stamp and they don't flip around too much.

This worked at Bali exit immigration and Taipei entry. Taipei exit was a bit sketchy but it worked as well. I'll explain later and post pictures of the damage when I get back to Canada. On my way to Tokyo soon so I think I'm in the clear.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Fee for Moving to PE or J from E but on J Ticket?

Long story short, called Aeroplan to change my X seat to PE on a flight in my miniRTW this April. Originally paid 150K for the whole ticket and had every flight segment in J except this one (PEK-YYZ on AC). The PE seat opened up after I booked X.

Agent said: well I can waive the change fee for you this ONE TIME to upgrade the seat to PE. But this means if J opens up later you will have to pay a change fee to move up to J.

I said sure yes go ahead to just make sure I get my PE seat. This route doesn’t usually open up J last minute anyway.

Now I’m wondering- what? Shouldn’t I be entitled to the upgrade to J without any change fee, given the entire ticket is paid using 150K points and the flight segment is the same?

Am I missing something here?

Either way, I’m probably going to change the flight entirely closer to departure date for BR or NH and just pay the $100 change fee
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Long story short, called Aeroplan to change my X seat to PE on a flight in my miniRTW this April. Originally paid 150K for the whole ticket and had every flight segment in J except this one (PEK-YYZ on AC). The PE seat opened up after I booked X.

Agent said: well I can waive the change fee for you this ONE TIME to upgrade the seat to PE. But this means if J opens up later you will have to pay a change fee to move up to J.

I said sure yes go ahead to just make sure I get my PE seat. This route doesn’t usually open up J last minute anyway.

Now I’m wondering- what? Shouldn’t I be entitled to the upgrade to J without any change fee, given the entire ticket is paid using 150K points and the flight segment is the same?

Either way, I’m probably going to change the flight entirely closer to departure date for BR or NH and just pay the $100 change fee
You should absolutely be entitled to the upgrade to PE, and then the upgrade to J when/if the seat opens without having to incur a change fee. I had a flight in Y on TG, and when J space opened, I called them and they put me in J after I paid the difference in YQ, then F when it opened up on an F AP booking.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
As long as you do not change your flight, there is no fee to move up a cabin on the same flight up to the redemption's highest level (i.e. Y to J on a J redemption is free, Y to F is not).
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Aeroplan Black
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes

Sounds like a new agent lol.. just HUCA imo if that happens again... it's just... the waiting time is insanely high now if you have no status like me
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by xanderz
Sounds like a new agent lol.. just HUCA imo if that happens again... it's just... the waiting time is insanely high now if you have no status like me
Didnt need to HUCA; only needed to book PE and she did it, waived the change fee with a warning next time it would incur a fee.

I got no status (silver...) and waited two and half hours. I just let the phone on speaker and muted while I worked
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:01 pm

Are you able to call to aeroplan for a one-way booking and feed them segments? I know its hit or miss for mini-RTWs right now, but were you able to feed segments for one-ways say a year ago?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aleks77
Are you able to call to aeroplan for a one-way booking and feed them segments? I know its hit or miss for mini-RTWs right now, but were you able to feed segments for one-ways say a year ago?
Yes
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes
Excellent, Thank you.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
Hoping for some advice on a mini-RTW booking I made under the old rules with two stops. On September 23, 2019 I booked a YYZ-MEL trip in J for travel commencing next week with stops in Europe and Asia. Unfortunately, I recently suffered an injury that’s going to prevent me from taking this trip.

Ideally, I’d like to rebook the same trip for February 2021. My initial thought was to pay the change fee to change the flights to later this year, then pay the change fee again in a few months to book the actual flights I want once there’s February/March 2021 reward availability.

I called Aeroplan and was told that I could change my flight but I’d have to commence travel by September 23, 2020 since the ticket is only valid for one year from issuance and that changing the ticket to a later date doesn’t extend the validity. I suppose I did know that rule but it slipped my mind.

So it looks like my best option is to cancel the reward altogether and take the refund less the cancellation fee. This would mean losing out on a two-stop mini-RTW. The Aeroplan agent was hopeful that the new program will bring back the two-stop rule, but she didn’t seem to have any details or confirmation that this would be the case, so who knows if that’ll be an option later this year or if it’ll be a similar number of miles if it is available.

Am I missing anything? Any other options available to me to take the same trip a year later without losing the extra stop? I’m absolutely fine paying the necessary change fees.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Tifosi
Hoping for some advice on a mini-RTW booking I made under the old rules with two stops. On September 23, 2019 I booked a YYZ-MEL trip in J for travel commencing next week with stops in Europe and Asia. Unfortunately, I recently suffered an injury that’s going to prevent me from taking this trip.

Ideally, I’d like to rebook the same trip for February 2021. My initial thought was to pay the change fee to change the flights to later this year, then pay the change fee again in a few months to book the actual flights I want once there’s February/March 2021 reward availability.

I called Aeroplan and was told that I could change my flight but I’d have to commence travel by September 23, 2020 since the ticket is only valid for one year from issuance and that changing the ticket to a later date doesn’t extend the validity. I suppose I did know that rule but it slipped my mind.

So it looks like my best option is to cancel the reward altogether and take the refund less the cancellation fee. This would mean losing out on a two-stop mini-RTW. The Aeroplan agent was hopeful that the new program will bring back the two-stop rule, but she didn’t seem to have any details or confirmation that this would be the case, so who knows if that’ll be an option later this year or if it’ll be a similar number of miles if it is available.

Am I missing anything? Any other options available to me to take the same trip a year later without losing the extra stop? I’m absolutely fine paying the necessary change fees.
Nope, those are your only options. Either you depart this year or you cancel.

The only thing that MIGHT be a compromise is you fly this September:

DEP-STOP1

Then do "stopover" until February 2021 to resume your trip and nest in a separately booked STOP1-DEP round-trip.

That works if you have any time and eagerness for a (shorter) vacation this year and go to a similar area on your first stopover on the RTW. this works because while you have to depart within 1year of booking, you THEN have another extra year to complete travel. Makes sense?

EDIT: An example with made-up dates and cities:

RTW Segment 1: YYZ-ATH, stop (September 2020)
Cash: ATH-YYZ (September 2020)
Cash: YYZ-ZRH (February 2021) - ATH (March 2021)
RTW Segment 2: ATH-MEL (March 2021)
RTW Segment 3: MEL-TYO (April 2021)
RTW Segment 4: TYO-YYZ (June 2021)
Tifosi and kalderlake like this.

Last edited by Smiley90; Jan 28, 2020 at 7:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.