Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by robindt
Back end (9,876 MPM - low, I know, but with kids in tow, layovers not a big draw)
YYZ - IAH
IAH - YYZ
Guessing this section has some typos?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:05 pm

thank you.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Definitely not. AC calculates scamcharges base on entire route. So in this case you will most likely pay for entire YYZ-SYD ($355), rather than TG CDG-SYD ($103), even though the UA legs across the atlantic are not scamchargeable.

You can estimate government taxes based on segment by segment, or in ITA Matrix.
It's not as simple as that. Fuel surcharges are directly related to the airlines you're flying. It's definitely not based on a single O&D figure, but it's not always just a direct sum the YQ for the individual segments. Some examples:

YYZ-CDG-SIN-SYD/SYD-IAH-YYZ. (AC, SQ and UA) YQ is $280. If you change the AC flight to UA, the YQ is $0. YYZ-CDG YQ is $255, so in the first example, AC is making up their own YQ, since none of the other flights would trigger a fuel surcharge.

I can't find CDG-BKK-SYD on TG, but a similar example: YYZ-EWR-CDG-ICN-SYD/SYD-IAH-YYZ (UA, OZ, UA), the YQ is $238.10, if you substitute the first UA segments for AC's YYZ-CDG flight, the YQ goes up to $578.10. (238.10+255).

Back to the OP. I would guess the YQ for the flights you were looking at would be about $250 each.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:02 am

Yes - thank you for the catch! Have edited.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
It's not as simple as that. Fuel surcharges are directly related to the airlines you're flying. It's definitely not based on a single O&D figure, but it's not always just a direct sum the YQ for the individual segments. Some examples:

YYZ-CDG-SIN-SYD/SYD-IAH-YYZ. (AC, SQ and UA) YQ is $280. If you change the AC flight to UA, the YQ is $0. YYZ-CDG YQ is $255, so in the first example, AC is making up their own YQ, since none of the other flights would trigger a fuel surcharge.

I can't find CDG-BKK-SYD on TG, but a similar example: YYZ-EWR-CDG-ICN-SYD/SYD-IAH-YYZ (UA, OZ, UA), the YQ is $238.10, if you substitute the first UA segments for AC's YYZ-CDG flight, the YQ goes up to $578.10. (238.10+255).

Back to the OP. I would guess the YQ for the flights you were looking at would be about $250 each.
I was going off of YYZ-SYD on AC ($355). TG is $103 just for CDG-SYD - which is what the poster should be charged. Anything above that is AC making stuff up as you say, since the money stays in their pocket they can do whatever they want.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I was going off of YYZ-SYD on AC ($355). TG is $103 just for CDG-SYD - which is what the poster should be charged. Anything above that is AC making stuff up as you say, since the money stays in their pocket they can do whatever they want.
Thanks so much. Have added detail to my original post. No AC flights - all UA and TG.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I am doing the following:

YLW => YVR (AC in Y)
YVR => TPE (Eva in J)
TPE => SIN (Eva in J) (POT)
SIN => IST (TK in J)
IST => VCE (TK in J) stopover
VCE => LIS (TAP in J)
LIS => YYZ (Tap in J)
YYZ => YVR (AC in J)
YVR => YLW (AC in Y)

155K miles and $600 in taxes, fees & surcharges
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AC E35K, Flying Blue, Lotusmiles
MPM validity for mini-rtw

Hello,
I'm playing with a few options for a mini-rtw using Aeroplan miles. Flying out from YUL. I got the following MPM values for these locations from YUL: IST (7929), DEL (12 397), and VKO (7274). So DEL would be the furthest destination. Therefore, would the following itinerary be valid for Aeroplan: YUL-IST (stop)-DEL (destination)-VKO (stop)-ZRH-YUL?
Thank you.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by YowYulFlyer
Hello,
I'm playing with a few options for a mini-rtw using Aeroplan miles. Flying out from YUL. I got the following MPM values for these locations from YUL: IST (7929), DEL (12 397), and VKO (7274). So DEL would be the furthest destination. Therefore, would the following itinerary be valid for Aeroplan: YUL-IST (stop)-DEL (destination)-VKO (stop)-ZRH-YUL?
Thank you.
YUL-IST-DEL//DEL-VKO-ZRH-YUL would definitely be a valid routing, however there is no Star Alliance airline that flies DEL-VKO.

For the purpose of verifying whether your routing is under MPM you need to add the distance of each individual flight segment.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Suggestions on a mini-rtw out of YVR?

I got some Aeroplan miles that I want to use before June 2020. I feel it's a bit late now to consider doing a mini-rtw for the fall, but I want to hear opinions on some possible routes before I make a final decision as to buy my airfare or not for this year. If not, then I want to start planning for 2019 and beyond. I just started reading up on this. I don't have any specific destinations in mind. I'm not sure how eager I am to tack on as many layovers as possible, but I would be interested if the layover is in the 22-23 hour range. I'm looking to some suggestions on some possible mini-rtw(s) out of YVR. Any continent and country would be fine for consideration. Here are some places that I wouldn't mind visiting if I were to specify, but again, I'm open to suggestions. Asia: Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, Taipei. Europe: London, Paris, Geneva, Zurich, Istanbul. Africa: Johannesburg, Marrakech, Nairobi. South America: Santiago, Buenos Aires. Australia: Sydney, Perth, Melbourne.

Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by lsquare
I got some Aeroplan miles that I want to use before June 2020. I feel it's a bit late now to consider doing a mini-rtw for the fall, but I want to hear opinions on some possible routes before I make a final decision as to buy my airfare or not for this year. If not, then I want to start planning for 2019 and beyond. I just started reading up on this. I don't have any specific destinations in mind. I'm not sure how eager I am to tack on as many layovers as possible, but I would be interested if the layover is in the 22-23 hour range. I'm looking to some suggestions on some possible mini-rtw(s) out of YVR. Any continent and country would be fine for consideration. Here are some places that I wouldn't mind visiting if I were to specify, but again, I'm open to suggestions. Asia: Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, Taipei. Europe: London, Paris, Geneva, Zurich, Istanbul. Africa: Johannesburg, Marrakech, Nairobi. South America: Santiago, Buenos Aires. Australia: Sydney, Perth, Melbourne.

Thanks!
This question is so broad, you could get hundreds of options. I might suggest you look at this thread first FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement") , pick your top 5 destinations, and then come back for some help in constructing your potential itinerary.

This fall isn't out of the question yet, depending on what you want to do, and how flexible you are.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
I got some Aeroplan miles that I want to use before June 2020. I feel it's a bit late now to consider doing a mini-rtw for the fall
I find that statement amusing, as I'm thinking about doing a mini rtw in August (2018), and I feel it's still a little early to be getting all the good flights
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
This question is so broad, you could get hundreds of options. I might suggest you look at this thread first FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement") , pick your top 5 destinations, and then come back for some help in constructing your potential itinerary.

This fall isn't out of the question yet, depending on what you want to do, and how flexible you are.
5 destinations? I'll start off with this and open to change in the future as I get the ball rolling. Buenos Aires, Barcelona, Johannesburg, Singapore, and Hong Kong/Tokyo.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I find that statement amusing, as I'm thinking about doing a mini rtw in August (2018), and I feel it's still a little early to be getting all the good flights
What kind of itinerary do you have in mind?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Yes, you can theoretically make changes up until 2h before departure (but since the ticket needs to be reissued, you'll usually need a little more time than that).

Due to MPM restrictions, routing from the West coast to Asia via Europe can be challenging, though YVR-SIN should work (though there isn't a huge amount of wriggle room in terms of routing).

E.g. this routing should be fine:

YVR-ICN (stopover)
ICN-SIN (destination)
SIN-IST (<24h layover)
IST-ZRH/MUC (stopover)
ZRH/MUC-YVR

(no open-jaw permitted in Europe with your desired trip)
In all likelihood, this trip is already done, but I'm trying to learn how to book a mini-rtw at the moment. What do you mean by destination? A layover? I thought there can only be two stopovers in a mini-rtw?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.