Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Somewhat random question, but do the RTW rules (origin-stop1-dest-stop2-origin e.g.) apply to ALL roundtrip-routings or only RTW/TPAC/TATL routings? Could one do an intra-NA or intra-Asia RT with the same rules? I want to combine an RTW with a routing with more stops, e.g. the JNB-SIN-YVR return would have a SIN-stop1-dest-stop2-SIN roundtrip routing within, so I can do more cities with >24h stops.

Cheers!
Old May 28, 2018, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Somewhat random question, but do the RTW rules (origin-stop1-dest-stop2-origin e.g.) apply to ALL roundtrip-routings or only RTW/TPAC/TATL routings? Could one do an intra-NA or intra-Asia RT with the same rules? I want to combine an RTW with a routing with more stops, e.g. the JNB-SIN-YVR return would have a SIN-stop1-dest-stop2-SIN roundtrip routing within, so I can do more cities with >24h stops.

Cheers!
28. On roundtrip rewards, stopovers are permitted as follows:
28.4. Intracontinental travel (travel within the same continent) except for travel within Canada/Continental USA, or between Canada/Cont. USA and Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean: Stopovers are not permitted. One open jaw is permitted.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:17 pm

For my understanding Open Jaw on the road is YMMV

I understand this part "you chose to bridge SIN and Tokyo on your own, it's an open jaw there, and you give up one stopover (say TPE)." but I don't understand how the wiki "NYC > Madrid (stop) > Singapore (destination, open jaw) // Tokyo (stop) > NYC. consider 2 stops + 1 open jaw?" because if I Open jaw between SIN/NRT, definitely I need stay at Tokyo for few days right? (that's say I arrive SIN in 20th and leave NRT in 30th) How the Tokyo will be consider 1 Open Jaw+1 Stop?

NYC-TPE(Stop)-SIN(destination)-NRT(Stop)-NYC is valid, then why NYC-TPE(Stop)-SIN(destination) (openjaw) NRT-NYC I buy my own ticket for SIN-NRT is not valid?

Originally Posted by WKnight
You can only use an open jaw where it involves your destination/turnaround, or the origin, not elsewhere in your itinerary.

As for that example, think of the open jaw as a stopover that you maybe could have used, but chose not to and you used your own method/$$ to get between the destination and another stopover. So in that example, SIN was the destination/turnaround and Tokyo was a stopover. You could say, have chosen to fly SIN-TPE and used TPE as another stopover, and then TPE-Tokyo, but because you chose to bridge SIN and Tokyo on your own, it's an open jaw there, and you give up one stopover (say TPE).

For your question, you cannot open jaw between BRU and MAD because SIN is your destination/turnaround. Again, OJ has to involve the destination or origin (and be in the same IATA zone?).
Old May 29, 2018, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90

Cheers!
I think technically you cannot have stopovers on Intracontinental travel, as per the Aeroplan Terms & Conditions, as mentioned above by pentiumvi:
https://www.aeroplan.com/terms_and_c...tion=rewardair
28.4. Intracontinental travel (travel within the same continent) except for travel within Canada/Continental USA, or between Canada/Cont. USA and Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean: Stopovers are not permitted. One open jaw is permitted.

But I recall reading once before that if it involves Asia1 & Asia2 destination/stopovers then you can have stopovers. Here, I've found the post:
Mini RTW Questions

Read the few posts before and after that one, particularly the example with NRT > SIN > MLE > BKK as the origin/stops. Within Asia, but as it's Asia1 & Asia2 in the mix, it opened up the rules. I guess you can try and let us know as another 'success story'.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by ecgz88
For my understanding Open Jaw on the road is YMMV

I understand this part "you chose to bridge SIN and Tokyo on your own, it's an open jaw there, and you give up one stopover (say TPE)." but I don't understand how the wiki "NYC > Madrid (stop) > Singapore (destination, open jaw) // Tokyo (stop) > NYC. consider 2 stops + 1 open jaw?" because if I Open jaw between SIN/NRT, definitely I need stay at Tokyo for few days right? (that's say I arrive SIN in 20th and leave NRT in 30th) How the Tokyo will be consider 1 Open Jaw+1 Stop?

NYC-TPE(Stop)-SIN(destination)-NRT(Stop)-NYC is valid, then why NYC-TPE(Stop)-SIN(destination) (openjaw) NRT-NYC I buy my own ticket for SIN-NRT is not valid?
Looks valid to me. I think you're focusing too much on the terminology/wording.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:10 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new here obviously and also new to the Mini-RTW. I was looking at the following itinerary and was wondering if anyone could give advice/let me know if it's valid. From what I can tell, it is actually less than the quoted MPM for my destination in the other thread.

YYZ-LIS-LYS(stop)-BRU-NRT(stop)-HKG-MEL(destination)-SIN-DXB-YYZ

This is in business for the most part. I'm finding these through Google Flights, filtering for Star Alliance.

Thanks!
Old May 31, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by azpurua
Hi everyone, I'm new here obviously and also new to the Mini-RTW. I was looking at the following itinerary and was wondering if anyone could give advice/let me know if it's valid. From what I can tell, it is actually less than the quoted MPM for my destination in the other thread.

This is in business for the most part. I'm finding these through Google Flights, filtering for Star Alliance.

Thanks!
Welcome, you need to search for award space via aeroplan.com or other avenues. The flights need to have award inventory open, not just simply exist.
You routing to Melbourne is for sure too long going via Tokyo.
Your return looks fine.

Remember about extortionate fees for flying Air Canada and some partners. Happy reading
How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions
Old May 31, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
28. On roundtrip rewards, stopovers are permitted as follows:
I think technically you cannot have stopovers on Intracontinental travel, as per the Aeroplan Terms & Conditions, as mentioned above by pentiumvi:
https://www.aeroplan.com/terms_and_c...tion=rewardair

But I recall reading once before that if it involves Asia1 & Asia2 destination/stopovers then you can have stopovers. Here, I've found the post:
Mini RTW Questions

Read the few posts before and after that one, particularly the example with NRT > SIN > MLE > BKK as the origin/stops. Within Asia, but as it's Asia1 & Asia2 in the mix, it opened up the rules. I guess you can try and let us know as another 'success story'.
Interesting, thanks so much! I'll definitely keep that in mind, that'd be perfect.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:13 pm

Thanks!
Also note that many segments may not nonstop *A carrier = you'll have to transfer to save money, or pay $$$ to fly nonstop (e.g. fly on AC)
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:49 am

I understood that every leg of the itinerary has its own ticket number. I have changed the return with 2 stops in between rendering 3 legs. But I have only 2 sequential numbers identified on the ticket. Everything seems to be confirmed and I see the itinerary on all carriers systems with seat assignment. Should I worry or is the originally issued ticket counts as 1 and all is fine.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I understood that every leg of the itinerary has its own ticket number. I have changed the return with 2 stops in between rendering 3 legs. But I have only 2 sequential numbers identified on the ticket. Everything seems to be confirmed and I see the itinerary on all carriers systems with seat assignment. Should I worry or is the originally issued ticket counts as 1 and all is fine.
Not quite. Its a new ticket number, a consecutive one, every 4 legs, it doesnt matter if its outbound or return.
So if you have more than 4 legs, you will see this:
014 xxxx xxx587-588

I
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Welcome, you need to search for award space via aeroplan or other avenues. The flights need to have award inventory open, not just simply exist.
You routing to Melbourne is for sure too long going via Tokyo.
Your return looks fine.

Remember about extortionate fees for flying Air Canada and some partners. Happy reading
Thanks for this! I've made a few refinements - narrowing it down to specific flights that I've found on the aeroplan site for the most part.

I'm wondering why you say it's too long. My route to MEL via LYS and NRT is 15,197 miles according to GCMap. That is less than the MPM distance of 16,210 miles quoted for YYZ-MEL. Shouldn't that work then?

PS. Sorry, the system won't let me post links to my sources until I have 5 posts. I actually had to edit the URLs out of your post...
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Not quite. Its a new ticket number, a consecutive one, every 4 legs, it doesnt matter if its outbound or return.
So if you have more than 4 legs, you will see this:
014 xxxx xxx587-588 I
Thanks but I have 2 stops and the origin left with 014 xxx xxx552-553 , so I should be OK.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:42 pm

Thanks for this! I've made a few refinements - narrowing it down to specific flights that I've found on the aeroplan site for the most part.

I'm wondering why you say it's too long. My route to MEL via LYS and NRT is 15,197 miles according to GCMap. That is less than the MPM distance of 16,210 miles quoted for YYZ-MEL. Shouldn't that work then?

PS. Sorry, the system won't let me post links to my sources until I have 5 posts. I actually had to edit the URLs out of your post...
Well, according to your origin post, the routing from YYZ to MEL was this:
YYZ-LIS-LYS-BRU-NRT-HKG-MEL.

The GCMAP for this shows it's 17,129 miles, which appears to be over the MPM for YYZ-MEL (16,210).
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:39 pm

Well, according to your origin post, the routing from YYZ to MEL was this:
YYZ-LIS-LYS-BRU-NRT-HKG-MEL.

The GCMAP for this shows it's 17,129 miles, which appears to be over the MPM for YYZ-MEL (16,210).
Ohhh I see. I didn't realize that the layovers counted. I'll try to get that under the YYZ-MEL # then .

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.