Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Both should be bookable.
Thanks a lot Pentiumvi
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by kalderlake

I want to take EVA from YVR to PEK via TPE.

When I search on AE, it gives me the option of a connecting flight via TPE with a brief layover.

When they calculate the MPM do they include the miles from YVR to TPE and then from TPE to PEK, or do they calculate the miles based on YVR-PEK only?
The idea of MPM is to make sure you don't take extra (or even unlimited) connections to get to your final destination. Therefore mileage for each flight segment is added.

If they calculate based on YVR-PEK only, that would defeat the whole purpose of MPM.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
The idea of MPM is to make sure you don't take extra (or even unlimited) connections to get to your final destination. Therefore mileage for each flight segment is added.

If they calculate based on YVR-PEK only, that would defeat the whole purpose of MPM.
Thanks for the answer.

I will plan accordingly.

cheers

kl
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC E35K, Marriott Platinum Premier
Hi everyone,

I'm a little confused about the MPM concept - I was playing around with YYZ-HKG-HND-YYZ routing and I was able to do it on the Aeroplan website. But according to the MPM wiki - YYZ-HND has an MPM of 9088. If I tried plotting YYZ-HKG-HND on GCMap, it gives me a total of 9615 miles. Why is Aeroplan letting me do this ?

Does this mean I can also do YYZ-HKG-TPE-HND-YYZ? Ultimately, that's what I want to see if I can do for our honeymoon .

Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by geffie
Hi everyone,

I'm a little confused about the MPM concept - I was playing around with YYZ-HKG-HND-YYZ routing and I was able to do it on the Aeroplan website. But according to the MPM wiki - YYZ-HND has an MPM of 9088. If I tried plotting YYZ-HKG-HND on GCMap, it gives me a total of 9615 miles. Why is Aeroplan letting me do this ?

Does this mean I can also do YYZ-HKG-TPE-HND-YYZ? Ultimately, that's what I want to see if I can do for our honeymoon .

Thanks!
The destination in YYZ-HKG-HND-YYZ isn't HND, it's HKG. Which has a higher MPM. Not sure what the higher MPM between TPE and HKG is, but it's worth trying to check.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by geffie

Thanks!
As Smiley90 already pointed out, HKG would be considered your destination which is therefore what is used for MPM.

MPM for YYZ-HKG is ~10900miles. HKG-TPE-HND-YYZ is well within that, so it would be valid.

There is a wiki for some MPMs here: Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM)
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AC E35K, Marriott Platinum Premier
Thanks for clarifying Smiley90 and ChrisA330! I made the wrong assumption that the final city before the return leg is your destination.

Love this forum
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:27 pm

Wondering if the following itinerary is fairly priced or am I over paying?:
YYZ>IAH>SYD (destination)
SYD>SIN>KUL(stopover)
KUL>SIN>DPS(stopover)
DPS>PEK>YVR>YYZ

180K and $700 in total taxes for 2 people. Economy flights.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by PursuitTraveller
SYD>SIN>KUL(stopover)
KUL>SIN>DPS(stopover)
DPS>PEK>YVR>YYZ

Thoughts?
Looks like this is all Air Canada, United and Singapore flights, plus Air china DPS-PEK?

I would suggest trying the same itinerary with DPS-TPE-YYZ on Eva, or DPS-PEK-ORD-YYZ on Air China and United.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by PursuitTraveller
SYD>SIN>KUL(stopover)
KUL>SIN>DPS(stopover)
DPS>PEK>YVR>YYZ

Thoughts?
Have you had this validated by Aeroplan? You're transiting SIN twice on the inbound from SYD, and you're over the MPM of 15540.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:06 pm

You're right. I miscalculated and I can't figure out how to go to Kul, Syd and dps and return back to yyz without going over MPM.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Option 1, Visit KUL in one direction and DPS in the other direction, on either side of your turn, SYD
YYZ-TPE-DPS-SIN-SYD
SYD-SIN-KUL-TPE-YYZ

Option 2, YYZ-TPE-DPS-SIN-SYD + cash SIN-KUL RT flights on the side (its so close, should be cheap)

EVA should be your goal. Air China is not that good in my experience
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:56 pm

How did you get to the $700 in taxes if you didn't get your itinerary validated?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:48 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Sked changes renders RTW illegal

Mods, feel free to move this if there's a bigger thread it's better for, I looked around didn't find one that's appropriate.

I've got an RTW booked, won't go through the whole itinerary, it's in that thread if you're interested.

My first flight CA 992 has been pushed back by about 3 hours, THAT change doesn't really affect me, though if I look at my booking on AC's site it's a mess, everything is doubled up. I assume I don't need to be worried about that, but I'm inclined to give them a call.

However, on the return I'm flying KBP-(overnight layover)ZRH-ORD-YVR. As I said in the RTW thread, SFO/LAX from ZRH put me over the legal MPM. The ORD-YVR flight on AC has been bumped up about 3 hours making my connection illegal.

I'm not looking for any "compensation" obviously, but whenever sked changes happen that might favour us, it's best to take advantage of them. I've never had this happen to me on an award ticket though. What should I look for as a change?

The easiest option is taking the earlier direct ZRH-ORD flight, I'd make the connection, there is award space (in business, which I'm booked in) but it's a 330, I don't have anything against 330s but I never wanted the overnight in ZRH to begin with, it's just what was open for award space. Now if I have to leave ZRH earlier it makes the overnight layover there even more pointless.

I'm assuming that they'll want to put me on that flight and solve the whole thing that way. But i'd really rather not just do that, I'd much rather avoid paying for a hotel in ZRH for what amounts to like 10 hours on the ground overnight. There's also a UA flight that I could make the connection to with my original LX flight, but it has no award space. I have had AP purchase me a flight in the past, which was great since I earned miles on it, if they were to offer me that, I'd be fine with it.

But what are the odds/rights/entitlements here? As far as a re-route goes, do I need to find flights with award space? Or because this isn't a voluntary change will they "create" space on an AC flight, or purchase a ticket elsewhere? Also will they insist I stick to the original MPM or is that something that would be overlooked in favour of finding flights with award space? LASTLY, what about YQ in all of this? It's quite easy to find J space all the way from KBP on the first day, but of course it's Lufthy and while I'd love to fly the 350 in J from MUC I refuse to pay $500 in YQ just because of this sked change.

Sorry, lots of questions, and I'm sure some of them come off as me fishing for something I'm not entitled to, but all I'm looking for is the best possible and reasonable option. If it's deemed that's just the 333 to ORD, then so be it, but I'd much prefer to avoid that overnight at ZRH.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I can't answer anything else, but on an involuntary change (ie they changed the schedule and now you have to change the itinerary to make it fit what you previously intended) you should pay absolutely $0 as long as it's reasonable. If the agent doesn't agree, HUACA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.