Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Happy
New to Aeroplan, Could the veterans here tell me - Are the following bookable?

Primarily is to go to HKG then have a stopover in Europe.

YYZ-TPE-HKG on BR (stop 1)
HKG-ZRH on LX (stop 2)
ZRH-MIA (Open Jaw)

Or

YYZ-IST-ZRH on TK (stop 1)
ZRH-HKG on LX (stop 2)
HKG-TPE-SFO on BR
SFO-IAH-FLL on UA (Open Jaw)

If Open Jaw is not allowed then we can return to YYZ. Or replace YYZ with MIA on the outbound. I use YYZ is because we have a wedding to attend to on Aug 31st and think we might be able to incorporate it into a trip to HKG and EU.

How much would be the miles? 75K x 2 per person in J?

Thanks.
First itinerary is no problem. Second itinerary has too many miles on the outbound to HKG. The transit in IST adds too many miles.

Yes, it's 150K miles for J/person.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:19 pm

Hi,

Can someone provide some assistance on my routing? I would like to plan our honeymoon for 2019.

Currently is (in J):
YVR-TPE (layover)
TPE-HKG (stop)
HKG-SIN (destination)
SIN-EUROPE? (stop)
EUROPE-YVR

Now this is where I am stuck... We would like another stop in Europe 1 (Ideally AMS or MXP or anywhere hub that we can find good award space in J back to YVR)
Any suggestions? We would like to avoid AC YQ on way back from Europe, but I am having trouble with routing.

The MPM for YVR to SIN is 13196

Thank you! Much appreciated.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
First itinerary is no problem. Second itinerary has too many miles on the outbound to HKG. The transit in IST adds too many miles.

Yes, it's 150K miles for J/person.
Can we keep the Open Jaw?

I looked at the YYZ airport wiki, it seems the only star airline to EU other than AC is SN.

Does YYZ-BRU-ARN-HKG work? Or still over the MPM?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by trungngo13
Hi all,

Trying to plan for myself a minirtw and was wondering if these look to be bookable? Any recommendations?

YYZ-LAX in J via AC
LAX-HND in F via NH
HND-BKK in F via TG
BKK-DPS in J via TG - Destination
DPS-SIN in J via SQ - Stop
SIN-SGN in J via SQ - Stop
SGN-BKK in J via TG
BKK-HND in F via TG
HND-PEK in J via CA
PEK-YYZ in PE via AC

OR

YYZ-LAX in J via AC
LAX-HND in F via NH
HND-BKK in F via TG
BKK-DPS in J via TG - Destination
DPS-SIN in J via SQ - Stop
SIN-SGN in J via SQ - Stop
SGN-PEK in J via CA
PEK-LHR in F via CA
LHR-YYZ in J via AC

Thanks.
Both should be bookable.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:30 pm

Can we keep the Open Jaw?

I looked at the YYZ airport wiki, it seems the only star airline to EU other than AC is SN.

Does YYZ-BRU-ARN-HKG work? Or still over the MPM?
YYZ-BRU-ARN-HKG would work.

If you can find space, YYZ-YUL-ZRH-HKG would work as well, with long haul segments in LX. (noticed you wanted a stop in ZRH in previous post).

If you're not worried about YQ, LH flies out of YYZ as well.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by TheBlueLabel
Hi,

Can someone provide some assistance on my routing? I would like to plan our honeymoon for 2019.

Currently is (in J):
YVR-TPE (layover)
TPE-HKG (stop)
HKG-SIN (destination)
SIN-EUROPE? (stop)
EUROPE-YVR

Now this is where I am stuck... We would like another stop in Europe 1 (Ideally AMS or MXP or anywhere hub that we can find good award space in J back to YVR)
Any suggestions? We would like to avoid AC YQ on way back from Europe, but I am having trouble with routing.

The MPM for YVR to SIN is 13196

Thank you! Much appreciated.
I've played around with YVR-SIN myself and trying to route through ZRH, these routes will be good starting points for you probably, just reverse the routings i copy-pasted from my spreadsheet.

YVR-SFO-ZRH-SIN
YVR-SFO-ZRH-IST-SIN
YVR-YUL-ZRH-SIN
YVR-YUL-ZRH-IST-SIN
YVR-EWR-ZRH-SIN

for all lie-flat, non-AC transatlantic routes. routings might even have space for a different stop like

YVR-EWR-AMS-ZRH-SIN
YVR-YUL-ZRH-MXP-IST-SIN

which are both below 13k.
TheBlueLabel likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:12 pm

Would the below be valid? Or is my zigzagging not allowed?

YYC-LAX (AC) J
LAX-IAH (UA) Y
IAH-TPE (BR) J
TPE-SGN (BR) J

There is a direct YYC-IAH but so far it's only showing Y.

I know that YYC-SFO-TPE-SGN is valid.

What other options do I have for YYC-SGN?

The RTW will eventually be YYC-SGN-MNL-ICN-YYC
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by seks

YYC-LAX (AC) J
LAX-IAH (UA) Y
IAH-TPE (BR) J
TPE-SGN (BR) J

What other options do I have for YYC-SGN? The RTW will eventually be YYC-SGN-MNL-ICN-YYC
Sole determining factor here is the "maximum permitted mileage" (MPM) from YYC to SGN and back. Since you can't fly this route direct, Aeroplan comes up with this mileage number based on the ways you CAN fly it using Star Alliance partners.

I'm guessing you're pushing your luck a bit on this one. You would almost certainly be fine flying YYC-YVR-TPE-SGN or YYC-SEA-TPE-SGN, or YYC-LAX-TPE-SGN.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:01 pm

YYC-LAX (AC) J
LAX-IAH (UA) Y
IAH-TPE (BR) J
TPE-SGN (BR) J

There is a direct YYC-IAH but so far it's only showing Y.

I know that YYC-SFO-TPE-SGN is valid.

What other options do I have for YYC-SGN?

The RTW will eventually be YYC-SGN-MNL-ICN-YYC
MPM for YYC-SGN is 12463 miles. So, your entire routing from YYC-SGN can not exceed that. YYC-LAX-IAH-TPE-SGN is 11894, so it will be OK.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
YYZ-BRU-ARN-HKG would work.

If you can find space, YYZ-YUL-ZRH-HKG would work as well, with long haul segments in LX. (noticed you wanted a stop in ZRH in previous post).

If you're not worried about YQ, LH flies out of YYZ as well.
Where the stop in EU is not important because it is very easy to get around once in EU. If not for the wedding at YYZ we would not use Canada as departure point. I am trying to incorporate it to th trip. Else it is easier to do the trip from MIA or FLL. (FLL-IAH/ORD-TPE-HKG and then HKG-EU-MIA or reverse the itinerary as MIA-EU-HKG, HKG-TPE-IAH/ORD-FLL. I dont think UA flies JFK-FLL).
May be I need to make a separate r/t to attend the wedding at YYZ instead of trying to incorporate it into a miniRTW.

However, wouldn't the YYZ-YUL on AC would trigger YQ?

I definitely would do my best to avoid YQ. LH is a no go due to that. Flew them with UA miles before. Not good enough to make me pay $$$ with Aeroplan.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 10, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:24 pm

However, wouldn't the YYZ-YUL on AC would trigger YQ?
How YQ is calculated seems like a black box.

From my past bookings, it seems like if you fly domestically with AC, but the TATL leg on low/no YQ carriers, you don't get hit with the origin-destination YQ that AC charges. Instead, you would pay domestic AC YQ (not a large amount) and then whatever YQ for the rest of your trip depending on carrier.

Others may have more insight into how AC calculates YQ...

Also, LO flies YYZ-WAW. YQ charges on LO is pretty mild.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
MPM for YYC-SGN is 12463 miles. So, your entire routing from YYC-SGN can not exceed that. YYC-LAX-IAH-TPE-SGN is 11894, so it will be OK.
Based on availability (need 3 long haul in J), may just do YYC/YEG-YVR-SEA-TPE-SGN.

SGN-MNL. Is SGN-SIN-MNL valid? How about SGN-BKK-MNL?

Having trouble finding inbound MNL-YYC/YEG for Jan 2019. MNL-NRT/HND-NA, MNL-ICN-NA, MNL-TPE-NA. Nothing for OZ, BR, or NH
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:44 am

I have a MPM question.

Planning a trip to South Africa via Asia.

I want to take EVA from YVR to PEK via TPE.

When I search on AE, it gives me the option of a connecting flight via TPE with a brief layover.

When they calculate the MPM do they include the miles from YVR to TPE and then from TPE to PEK, or do they calculate the miles based on YVR-PEK only?

I want to make a couple of under-24-hour layovers, but they will put me over the total MPM depending on the answer.

TIA

Last edited by kalderlake; Feb 11, 2018 at 10:45 am Reason: Add TIA
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:44 am

Based on availability (need 3 long haul in J), may just do YYC/YEG-YVR-SEA-TPE-SGN.

SGN-MNL. Is SGN-SIN-MNL valid? How about SGN-BKK-MNL?

Having trouble finding inbound MNL-YYC/YEG for Jan 2019. MNL-NRT/HND-NA, MNL-ICN-NA, MNL-TPE-NA. Nothing for OZ, BR, or NH
Use www.gcmap.com and enter on your routing to determine distance. If it’s less than the MPM it’s legal.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
How YQ is calculated seems like a black box.

From my past bookings, it seems like if you fly domestically with AC, but the TATL leg on low/no YQ carriers, you don't get hit with the origin-destination YQ that AC charges. Instead, you would pay domestic AC YQ (not a large amount) and then whatever YQ for the rest of your trip depending on carrier.

Others may have more insight into how AC calculates YQ...

Also, LO flies YYZ-WAW. YQ charges on LO is pretty mild.
Oh, I forgot about LO. We flew them last year with pay ticket GDN to KRK on a Dash 4 no less.

Thanks for the YQ suggestion. Will see how much YYZ-YUL would add to the cash portion - since when incorporate the wedding at YYZ what we save is a one way MIA-YYZ which using BA Avios is 10K + $5.60 flying AA. Might work better to just have the trip to YYZ being an independent trip instead.

A good learning experience nonetheless. Much thanks to the community here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.