Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:42 pm

Swiss sometimes plays around with married segments, which is what you're experiencing.

The only way you can just get off the plane at Zurich is if it's a one-way ticket ORD-ZRH-GVA. Otherwise the remainder of your ticket gets cancelled if you no-show for any segment.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by mgn2000
Can I book a Mini RTW .............

Asia 2

YYZ / BOM ( Stopover )
BOM / BKK ( Stopover )
BKK / DPS ( Destination )
DPS / YYZ
Yes, this would be possible.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by flyer05
Swiss sometimes plays around with married segments, which is what you're experiencing.

The only way you can just get off the plane at Zurich is if it's a one-way ticket ORD-ZRH-GVA. Otherwise the remainder of your ticket gets cancelled if you no-show for any segment.
Thank You!

Is it then considered highly risky to take connecting flights with a small window to switch planes? If i have 40 minutes to catch my next flight and my first plane takes off an hour late, is my entire mini rtw itinerary then dead in the water?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:43 pm

Since you're booked on one ticket, the airline will protect you in case of a misconnect and you'll be rebooked on the next flight.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:32 pm

Can someone help me with this RTW?

MAY - 10th, Return June 3/4 (Dates are flexible. Maximum 16-17 business days. But must be in PPT during the week of 20-25th).
Start: YOW
Stop: SYD
Destination: PPT via AKL (dont think there is any other way)
Stop: KIX/HK (will do an open jaw to get to HK or KIX
Return: YOW

Got off the phone with agent and said my MPM is way over...been trying to fix it for hours and can't seem to.

All in J except for inter canada

YOW-YUL (AC. Y)
ZRH-IST
DXB-BKK
BKK-SYD (STOP)
SYD-AKL
AKL-PPT (STOP)

PPT-AKL
AKL-SYD
SYD-BKK
BKK-HKG (2 DAYS)
HKG-KIX (STOP)
KIX-ICN
ICN-YYZ
YYZ-YOW

Both are around 18,000MPM. The main ones I need to go to are; SYD, PPT, HKG and KIX. Rest can be play around with. There's no direct flights at all right now with AKL-BKK, nor SIN -SYD/AKL. Agent said the first part should be okay but second part isn't working...and I can't seem to find a shorter routes/segments to include HKG/KIX in there. Any work arounds? Please HELP
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Yes, this would be possible.
Thank You.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by jadedheart

MAY - 10th, Return June 3/4 (Dates are flexible. Maximum 16-17 business days. But must be in PPT during the week of 20-25th).

Got off the phone with agent and said my MPM is way over...been trying to fix it for hours and can't seem to.

YOW-YUL (AC. Y)
ZRH-IST
DXB-BKK
BKK-SYD (STOP)
SYD-AKL
AKL-PPT (STOP)

PPT-AKL
AKL-SYD
SYD-BKK
BKK-HKG (2 DAYS)
HKG-KIX (STOP)
KIX-ICN
ICN-YYZ
YYZ-YOW

Both are around 18,000MPM. The main ones I need to go to are; SYD, PPT, HKG and KIX. Rest can be play around with. There's no direct flights at all right now with AKL-BKK, nor SIN -SYD/AKL. Agent said the first part should be okay but second part isn't working...and I can't seem to find a shorter routes/segments to include HKG/KIX in there. Any work arounds? Please HELP
SYD is considered the destination for ticketing purposes, not PPT. You also have too many stops. You can 2 plus your destination.

I’m not sure this is doable as you’d need to transit AKL twice which isn’t allowed unless the stops are on either side of the destination.

FYI: MPM for YOW-SYD is 15480. Each routing to/from SYD cannot exceed that.

Last edited by ChrisA330; Jan 10, 2018 at 6:54 pm
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:33 pm

YOW-YUL (AC. Y)
ZRH-IST
DXB-BKK
BKK-SYD (STOP)
SYD-AKL
AKL-PPT (STOP)

PPT-AKL
AKL-SYD
SYD-BKK
BKK-HKG (2 DAYS)
HKG-KIX (STOP)
KIX-ICN
ICN-YYZ
YYZ-YOW

This whole question is moot unless you can get AKL-PPT award space, which I don't think is available. It's extremely difficult to get award space on that route, you'd need to be looking a year in advance.

I suggest booking YOW-SYD on AP award, and a cash ticket from SYD-PPT.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
This whole question is moot unless you can get AKL-PPT award space, which I don't think is available. It's extremely difficult to get award space on that route, you'd need to be looking a year in advance.

I suggest booking YOW-SYD on AP award, and a cash ticket from SYD-PPT.
I was able to find AKL-PPT though RT on AP. Its economy but whatyever better than nothing.

Right now, it seems like my only option is YOW-SYD on AP then SYD-PPT on AP separately (30k RT) +200in taxes but still cheaper than if I were to get a cash ticket (800+)

I was thinking of ANA mileage to see if cheaper, it will if i can find YOW-X-AKL-PPT (as it only allows 2 transfers at most). THen return I need to use AP or AA to get PPT-SYD, and do SYD-BKK-KIX open jaw HKG-PEK-YUL- (dont even know if this is doable)
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
If anyone is able to assist, looking to get something booked using Aeroplan, but want to do:

YVR - FCO, September 13, return on September 30.

Was looking at YVR - ORD - FCO, or YVR - ORD - IST - FCO to avoid the YQ fees, but can't seem to get this generated online - i tried multi-city, etc.

I feel dumb asking, cause it's been a while for myself, but is this something you have to call in and request?

Thanks?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: HH Gold, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by doubleflier
If anyone is able to assist, looking to get something booked using Aeroplan, but want to do:

YVR - FCO, September 13, return on September 30.

Was looking at YVR - ORD - FCO, or YVR - ORD - IST - FCO to avoid the YQ fees, but can't seem to get this generated online - i tried multi-city, etc.

I feel dumb asking, cause it's been a while for myself, but is this something you have to call in and request?

Thanks?
If you do separate searches for YVR-ORD and ORD-FCO you may find what you are looking for. There is availability outbound on Sep. 13 with TATL on LX. For the inbound, I don't see anything on Sep. 30, but there is space on Oct. 1. You would have to call in to book.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Also note that it's been reported that all award inventory on Ethiopian is being blocked currently unavailable for booking.
Does that mean all of the award space is being blocked from Aeroplan, or Aeroplan agents are refusing to book it even though it's showing up?

I see availability on ET showing up as normal...
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: AC A
Anyone know if Swiss opens up I/J award space for North America to Zurich in the weeks or month leading up to departure? Looking at options for two award tickets next fall, right now only one J seat is available, and I can book the second in Y. Just wondering what the chances are of Swiss releasing more space and I can call in to change the Y to J. Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:33 pm

I was able to find AKL-PPT though RT on AP. Its economy but whatyever better than nothing.

Right now, it seems like my only option is YOW-SYD on AP then SYD-PPT on AP separately (30k RT) +200in taxes but still cheaper than if I were to get a cash ticket (800+)

I was thinking of ANA mileage to see if cheaper, it will if i can find YOW-X-AKL-PPT (as it only allows 2 transfers at most). THen return I need to use AP or AA to get PPT-SYD, and do SYD-BKK-KIX open jaw HKG-PEK-YUL- (dont even know if this is doable)
Interesting that you were able to find AKL-PPT seats, even in economy. I wasn't able to see anything for all of May/June 2018.

I'm not familiar with ANA rules, but if they only allow 2 transfer, then your options are going to be limited. I don't think there are direct flights between YOW-SFO/LAX/IAH, so only option left is YOW-YVR-AKL-PPT.
Getting YVR-AKL on NZ will be pretty difficult as well.

SYD-BKK-KIX <open-jaw> HKG-PEK-YUL won't work since you're on an one-way AP award, which does not allow stopovers or open-jaws. You'll have to book those as 2 separate awards.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Questions on some basics as I have never booked an award with Aeroplan miles but that would change. I wish there is a Wiki for this thread but since there is none, I hope those of you who are experts can help answer these probably very basic questions to you.

1) Can I use the Great Circle Mapper to simulate the MPM calculation? Does Aeroplan give any allowance on top of the actual MPM like some other airlines would?

2) Is it possible to book a EU-Asia-US trip with the RTW type of ticketing, i.e. it can travel in one direction instead of returning to the same continent where one departs?

3) How many stops one can have? Is it the same 2 stopovers and 1 OJ as booking a normal R/T ticket?

4) To avoid YQ, one needs to stick with SK, LX, TK, BR, that I know. How about TG and NH?

Thank you for taking the time to educate a newbie to Aeroplan award booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.