Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by tys90
Looking around for a while and I think I know the answer but I had a hard time finding examples of open jaw at the end of a trip.

If I open jaw at my origin, say fly out of DEN to Asia then back to ORD, do I have 1 stopover + destination left or 2 stopovers + destination? I believe it's 1 stopover + destination based on other open jaw examples but I'm not sure I understand the logic since the trip is over when I get back to ORD.
It’s 1+1. That said, remember you can always add a ORD-DEN segment “for free” and put it at, let’s say, 6 months later “in case” you ever need a flight from ORD to DEN for $150 (the change fee). Pretty sure it’s not possible to do that flight for 150, but I guess it depends on whether you’d EVER need to go.

If there’s another city you’re more likely to fly to, you might want to position to it from DEN. So for instance you’re more likely to go to LAX. Buy a cheap ticket DEN-LAX on some mega discount carrier. Fly LAX-whatever-ORD. Leave ORD-LAX hanging for a few months. Fly - or not - but maybe more chance you’d fly to LAX than DEN. Free North American one-way!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:46 pm

It’s 1+1. That said, remember you can always add a ORD-DEN segment “for free” and put it at, let’s say, 6 months later “in case” you ever need a flight from ORD to DEN for $150 (the change fee). Pretty sure it’s not possible to do that flight for 150, but I guess it depends on whether you’d EVER need to go.

If there’s another city you’re more likely to fly to, you might want to position to it from DEN. So for instance you’re more likely to go to LAX. Buy a cheap ticket DEN-LAX on some mega discount carrier. Fly LAX-whatever-ORD. Leave ORD-LAX hanging for a few months. Fly - or not - but maybe more chance you’d fly to LAX than DEN. Free North American one-way!
Thanks for the quick reply. That's a good idea but I was hoping to use the 2nd stopover in Asia. Can't always get the perfect routing and dates I suppose.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by tys90
Thanks for the quick reply. That's a good idea but I was hoping to use the 2nd stopover in Asia. Can't always get the perfect routing and dates I suppose.
That's fair. Remember you do get a total of three stops (let's disregard the precise verbiage vis. stop/destination/whatever) if you complete the itinerary - so you could leave DEN, have one stop in Asia, second stop in Asia, then "stop" in ORD on the way back. I'm guessing you meant you need another stop in Asia, so in that case you'd need to position DEN-ORD on something like Frontier or Spirit or whatever cheap LCC flies that route.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
I did book for two for
8/30 YYZ-LHR (AC868), layover to 8/31 LHR-BRU SN2096, stop
9/12 BRU-CDG-TPE SN3631/BR88; destination
9/27 TSA-HND BR190, stop
10/11 NRT-DEN-YYZ UA142/AC1040

The tax/fees + booking fees came to $644.13 total. The last leg of DEN-YYZ I also compared to UA2024, but using AC1040 did not change the YQ, so I went with AC. This time the lady seemed knowledgeable, unlike the previous one who had a hard time about TPE/TSA and HND/NRT being co-terminals.

First time booking a mini-RTW. Learned a lot from all of you.
ChrisA330 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: hahaha
Throwaway because I don't want to be identified.

I live in the prairies but I have a conference in NYC a year from today where afterwards I'll be flying a mini-RTW. I'm gonna be booking soon, and I just had a couple of questions...

So I think I can maximize MPM from the east cost of North America and do a circumnavigation around the world (as far south as Turkey, and many stops in Europe), if I select my destination to be HKG. On the way home, I want to do some more stops in Asia before flying home to the prairies.

From HND, I'll fly to a UA/AC hub like SFO or YVR (depending on YQ with AC and NH), and then one of my layover locations will be a spike up to Northern Canada. To complete my mini-RTW and have it recognized as a full round trip, I will then book flights from my hometown to DEN and back to EWR.

Summary:
- Flying company revenue ticket from my hometown to EWR
- After business in EWR, will do mini-RTW via Europe, destination HKG, and then a few stops in Asia
- Besides completing the entire mini-RTW, the return ticket's final destination will be EWR, but I intend to indefinitely stay during layover at hometown

Statements:
- I do not intend on flying the Y[XX] to DEN to EWR journey. It doesn't sound possible with MPM but I have routes that are surprisingly <1k from MPM.
- I have successfully short-checked bags to Y[XX] on Aeroplan rewards
- I've heard of consequences/outright bans with people performing hidden city ticketing on revenue tickets, I figure it'd be much worse on reward tickets. This may be one of my final flights with Aeroplan because I'm dumping all my miles

Questions:
- I feel bad about this hidden city ticketing, but I'd rather not leave an open jaw (is it considered one?) to maximize my destinations and stopover lengths, what do you guys think?
- Can I call and "change" or "cancel" my Aeroplan reward when I land at Y[XX]? This would be midway through my reward. My goal is not to reclaim my miles or anything immoral like that, I'd just like to release the seats back to the airline in case anyone is waiting standby

I'll provide more details if necessary

Last edited by asovse1; Jun 19, 2018 at 1:25 pm
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by ThrowawayHCT
Throwaway because I don't want to be identified.

I live in the prairies but I have a conference in NYC a year from today where afterwards I'll be flying a mini-RTW. I'm gonna be booking soon, and I just had a couple of questions...

So I think I can maximize MPM from the east cost of North America and do a circumnavigation around the world (as far south as Turkey, and many stops in Europe), if I select my destination to be HKG. On the way home, I want to do some more stops in Asia before flying home to the prairies.

From HND, I'll fly to a UA/AC hub like SFO or YVR (depending on YQ with AC and NH), and then one of my layover locations will be a spike up to Northern Canada. To complete my mini-RTW and have it recognized as a full round trip, I will then book flights from my hometown to DEN and back to EWR.

Summary:
- Flying company revenue ticket from my hometown to EWR
- After business in EWR, will do mini-RTW via Europe, destination HKG, and then a few stops in Asia
- Besides completing the entire mini-RTW, the return ticket's final destination will be EWR, but I intend to indefinitely stay during layover at hometown

Statements:
- I do not intend on flying the Y[XX] to DEN to EWR journey. It doesn't sound possible with MPM but I have routes that are surprisingly <1k from MPM.
- I have successfully short-checked bags to Y[XX] on Aeroplan rewards
- I've heard of consequences/outright bans with people performing hidden city ticketing on revenue tickets, I figure it'd be much worse on reward tickets. This may be one of my final flights with Aeroplan because I'm dumping all my miles

Questions:
- I feel bad about this hidden city ticketing, but I'd rather not leave an open jaw (is it considered one?) to maximize my destinations and stopover lengths, what do you guys think?
- Can I call and "change" or "cancel" my Aeroplan reward when I land at Y[XX]? This would be midway through my reward. My goal is not to reclaim my miles or anything immoral like that, I'd just like to release the seats back to the airline in case anyone is waiting standby

I'll provide more details if necessary
I realy don't think you need to go to the trouble of making a throwaway account to ask about HCT (and I hope you're not the guy above asking about DEN!!! lolol) but yeah, nobody cares about the occasional HCT. I know airlines went bananas on people who regularly flew HCT to save money / work commute / whatever, but seriously, they have better things to do than catch one guy who didn't fly one segment (who knows, you got sick, had a headache, whatever - a single HCT, or more correctly, thrown-away segment, isn't going to send the Aeroplan police after you). I've actually never heard of someone being burned because they didn't fly the last leg or whatnot. Your actual and much more real problem is likely to be short-checking, so MAKE SURE you book a flight that departs the following day (overnight connection) as they will then require you to collect bags, which will solve your problem.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:27 pm

I'm not super familiar with cabotage rules, but if you flew SFO-Y[XX]-DEN-EWR, that sounds like something that would not be allowed.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: hahaha
Thank you both for your advice, I have done shortchecking before on a reward ticket thanks to a really understanding priority check-in rep at YVR. I think the best thing I'm counting on is after arriving from the SFO flight, I'll have to clear CBSA in Y[XX] and have access to the bags anyway. I'll definitely do an overnight layover to be sure.

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I'm not super familiar with cabotage rules, but if you flew SFO-Y[XX]-DEN-EWR, that sounds like something that would not be allowed.
Ah, cabotage! I'm not sure if my trip would be considered cabotage. From what I understand of cabotage, it's a carrier operating a domestic flight in a foreign country. Aren't I bound by airline schedules that definitely don't have this? I'll clarify:

HND -> YVR OR SFO (NH)
YVR OR SFO -> Y[XX] (AC)
Y[XX] -> DEN (UA/AC)
DEN -> EWR (UA)
Each operator departs or arrives in their own country and Aeroplan (does that mean Air Canada?) issues my ticket

The only domestic flights will ever be YVR to Y[XX], which will definitely be on AC, and DEN to EWR, which will definitely be on UA. No domestic UA flight in Canada, and no domestic AC flight in the US. My Y[XX] has US pre-clearance if it helps.

Am I getting the definition of cabotage wrong? Are there examples of customers deliberately booking cabotage flights? Because that sounds impossible, but it does explain why I do hear that term thrown around a lot on FT.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Thank you both for your advice, I have done shortchecking before on a reward ticket thanks to a really understanding priority check-in rep at YVR. I think the best thing I'm counting on is after arriving from the SFO flight, I'll have to clear CBSA in Y[XX] and have access to the bags anyway. I'll definitely do an overnight layover to be sure.
Without the overnight layover, you may not gain access to your bags. If flying, for example, SFO-YYZ-YOW, you will not see your bags in YYZ.

Ah, cabotage! I'm not sure if my trip would be considered cabotage. From what I understand of cabotage, it's a carrier operating a domestic flight in a foreign country. Aren't I bound by airline schedules that definitely don't have this? I'll clarify:

HND -> YVR OR SFO (NH)
YVR OR SFO -> Y[XX] (AC)
Y[XX] -> DEN (UA/AC)
DEN -> EWR (UA)
Each operator departs or arrives in their own country and Aeroplan (does that mean Air Canada?) issues my ticket

The only domestic flights will ever be YVR to Y[XX], which will definitely be on AC, and DEN to EWR, which will definitely be on UA. No domestic UA flight in Canada, and no domestic AC flight in the US. My Y[XX] has US pre-clearance if it helps.

Am I getting the definition of cabotage wrong? Are there examples of customers deliberately booking cabotage flights? Because that sounds impossible, but it does explain why I do hear that term thrown around a lot on FT.
Flying SFO-YVR-EWR on AC is an example of cabotage because AC is flying you between two US cities.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:50 pm

HND -> YVR OR SFO (NH)
YVR OR SFO -> Y[XX] (AC)
Y[XX] -> DEN (UA/AC)
DEN -> EWR (UA)

Like I said, I'm not an expert, but just thought I'd point it out as a possibility.

I was primary thinking if you did SFO-Y[XX]-DEN-EWR, with Y[XX] just being a layover. Would this be seen as AC carrying you from SFO-EWR/DEN?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:18 pm

Thank you all for your responses. I have realized that NAN is a no go. I have also learned that Air New Zealand doesn't release J class inventory until a month or 2 out and I'm not willing to gamble. New goal is a stop in BKK or HAN, and a stop in BKK. I don't really care which is first. Business or first class is a deal breaker. Any thoughts on:

YWG-AKL-BKK-YWG, or the reverse?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
OK - lots here to go through. You should first understand what makes an itinerary valid, the most important thing is Maximum Permitted Mileage (MPM). This is the maximum distance you're allowed to travel between your origin (YWG), and the furthest stop in your itinerary. If AKL was to be the furthest point, you're allowed 12,836 miles in each direction. You can stop anywhere you want, as long as the total mileage doesn't increase that. Now, say you wanted to add a stopover in Singapore. SIN is now considered the destination, as it is farther away from YWG than AKL is. MPM for YWG-SIN is 14,407.

You need to figure out where you want to stop first, then we can help you determine proper routings.

Thank you for your response. I have realized that NAN is a no go. I have also learned that Air New Zealand doesn't release J class inventory until a month or 2 out and I'm not willing to gamble. New goal is a stop in BKK or HAN, and a stop in BKK. I don't really care which is first. Business or first class is a deal breaker. Any thoughts on:

YWG-AKL-BKK-YWG, or the reverse?

Yes it would. I wouldn't waste an open jaw between these 2 cities. Just book a one way flight between the two, domestic NZ fares are reasonable

Got it.Thx

South Pacific stops are generally difficult to do, as you can't connect through the same city twice. There are only two *A options from south pacific islands to NA: RAR-LAX on NZ which only operated 1x/week, and PPT-SFO on UA starting in October for the winter season.

There is a difference between what is available for an award, and what is available for a revenue ticket. NZ can be notoriously tight with their award inventory.

Did you select 2 passengers perhaps?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:06 pm

Hi guys, i am planning a trip to Maldives and wants to book as much as i can on points and would appreciate help.

I would like to get some help regarding data points or experiences people had or any and all suggestions are welcome. This is for a 10 year anniversary surprise so i really want to do Maldives. Would like to get ideas of what to look for and quickest and easiest tp get to MLE and back from YYZ.

Does the below options are my only options ?

I am thinking YYZ > TPE > SIN > MLE in J , come back the quickest way for one Pax and other Pax will make it a mini RTW around Asia and Europe.

Some other options YYZ > IST > MLE (best option but no availability)

YYZ > CAI > IST > MLE ( Egypt Air has bad reputation for J seats and still 2 stops)

YYZ > BRU > IST > MLE ( availability limited and 2 stops )
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by asgr81
Hi guys, i am planning a trip to Maldives and wants to book as much as i can on points and would appreciate help.

I would like to get some help regarding data points or experiences people had or any and all suggestions are welcome. This is for a 10 year anniversary surprise so i really want to do Maldives. Would like to get ideas of what to look for and quickest and easiest tp get to MLE and back from YYZ.

Does the below options are my only options ?

I am thinking YYZ > TPE > SIN > MLE in J , come back the quickest way for one Pax and other Pax will make it a mini RTW around Asia and Europe.

Some other options YYZ > IST > MLE (best option but no availability)

YYZ > CAI > IST > MLE ( Egypt Air has bad reputation for J seats and still 2 stops)

YYZ > BRU > IST > MLE ( availability limited and 2 stops )
I recently did the Maldives as part of a mini-RTW. We routes through IST on the outbound and through DEL on the return. Our itinerary was:

YUL-ZRH-VCE
VCE-IST-MLE
MLE-DEL-ZRH-YUL
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:51 am

Mini rtw South American and Africa

On the Aeroplan website for multi city search I found flights to go to Buenos Aires and Victoria falls. I was wondering what other stopovers I can do with this itinerary? Thank you so much for the help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.