Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I am trying to get from YYC to ZRH in late September or early October. A few days ago I found LX from LAX to ZRH but now it is gone. The TK flights that go YYC-IAH - IST - ZRH is over my MPM. I am allowed about 8200 MPM.

Two questions:

1) How else can I get to ZRH on low/no fees.

2) Is there a way to search all Swiss flights leaving US/Canada hubs? On EF I have to search every hub individually, +-3 days. Same question with United. Is there a way I can search FROM many of the big US hubs, TO many of the big Europe hubs? I cant figure this out on EF.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:11 am

Mpm yyc-yyz-lju-del-yyc

Would the above mini-RTW falls within the MPM? Or do I need to change the point of turnaround to increase the MPM? What's the MPM between YYC and DEL?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by canadianidol
Would the above mini-RTW falls within the MPM? Or do I need to change the point of turnaround to increase the MPM? What's the MPM between YYC and DEL?
The MPM for YYZ and DEL is 11,414 miles.

Your trip is under that MPM:
Great Circle Mapper - 9,555 mi
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by canadianidol
As already noted, the MPM for YYC-DEL is 11,414. However to determine if your trip falls within that, you need your exact itinerary. What you've provided won't work, as you can't get from YYZ-LJU and LJU-DEL non-stop. You need to figure out the intermediate stops first.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:23 am

Australia question. I figure quite a few people have done either of these routings: YYZ - TPE - SIN - Austrlai vs YYZ - TPE - PEK - Australia. So the question on the overnight flights - angle flat SQ flights of 7 hours in length vs 12 hours in CA flat bed. SQ is more direct, but I lean towards the 12 hours of flat bed, especially since we're travelling with a 12 year old. Although who knows what sleep is going to feel like after 16 hours on YYZ-TPE. My wife isn't thrilled with the travel time, but then again, was even less thrilled with an option of UA via SFO/LAX!!!! We're doing SIN on the way back through CBR on the 777-300, so I'm not missing a Singapore visit by going through Beijing. Anybody care to chime in?
Old May 4, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
I'd probably take SQ any day over CA, regardless of product. Did CA a few times in the past and not impressed at all.

My parents are actually doing YWG-YVR-TPE-SIN-SYD right now. They lucked out. I think their original flight, SQ231/232, got cancelled and all passengers put on SQ251/252, which is an A380. Not sure how often this happens, but something to think about, if you were going to book SQ231/232.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador
Could anyone validate if the route below would be allowable, current AC SE member.

YYZ-GRU (Stop) AC J - ideally would go to GIG however looks like I will need to buy that segment as only option is Copa
GRU-JNB (Stop) SA J
JNB-ADD ET J
ADD-DXB ET J (Stop)
DXB-YYZ AC J

Can Dubai be done as a stop on a mini RTW (not actually around the world though) including South Africa ?

Thanks
Old May 4, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by NB_Falcon
Could anyone validate if the route below would be allowable, current AC SE member.

YYZ-GRU (Stop) AC J - ideally would go to GIG however looks like I will need to buy that segment as only option is Copa
GRU-JNB (Stop) SA J
JNB-ADD ET J
ADD-DXB ET J (Stop)
DXB-YYZ AC J

Can Dubai be done as a stop on a mini RTW (not actually around the world though) including South Africa ?

Thanks
YYZ-JNB is 13268 according to the other thread, which you're way below in both directions, so that should be okay. If you're interested in reducing YQ/going to GIG, why not do YYZ-IAH-GIG-GRU-JNB? Still below MPM. GIG-GRU is flown by Avianca which is definitely bookable with AP miles.

and on the way back you can probably try routing TXB-IST-YYZ to fly TK and save yourself the AC YQ. (or DXB-ZRH-YUL-YYZ if you're feeling adventurous)

And yes you can route through DXB. Just whipped up a quick multi-stop routing on AP.com and it priced out at 100k in Economy and 150k in Business, which is YYZ-JNB RT. (even though a YYZ-DXB roundtrip would cost 165k RT in J, but thankfully AP is apparently not smart enough to realize that.)

EDIT: I just realized the SE part - yeah don't worry about minimized-YQ routings then haha.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador
Thanks ! Ideally your right would go YYZ-IAH-GIG however the IAH-GIG segment seems tough to get 2 J seats.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:20 pm

Hi, I'm trying to book my first mini-RTW! Can some people confirm if this is possible?

YVR - TPE - SIN - ADL (destination, total distance 11,319, MPM between YVR and ADL is 13,347)
open jaw between ADL and AKL
AKL - SIN - TPE - YVR (total 13,193, should be doable under the MPM?)
Old May 4, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by guernsey
Hi, I'm trying to book my first mini-RTW! Can some people confirm if this is possible?

YVR - TPE - SIN - ADL (destination, total distance 11,319, MPM between YVR and ADL is 13,347)
Without stopovers isn't that just an OJ-roundtrip?
Old May 4, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by guernsey

Open-jaw distances are counted in the calculation towards MPM. So your overall "return" journey would include the ADL-AKL distance, which would put you over the ADL-YVR MPM.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Would this work?

AMS - POA (or GRU/GIG)
POA(or GRU/GIG) - YYZ
YYZ - HND
NRT - SYD/MEL
SYD/MEL - AMS

or even starting and finishing in YYZ?

Thanks in advance
Old May 7, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by aeroman380
Would this work?

AMS - POA (or GRU/GIG)
POA(or GRU/GIG) - YYZ
YYZ - HND
NRT - SYD/MEL
SYD/MEL - AMS

or even starting and finishing in YYZ?

Thanks in advance
SYD would be your POT.

AMS-SYD has a higher MPM than YYZ-SYD, so no need to start in YYZ
AMS-SYD "mpm":17077
YYZ-SYD "mpm": 15480 / 15540

I'm not sure which routes/airlines you have found, but you have a lot of miles to play with so that you can stay under mpm.
aeroman380 likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:26 am

I am looking at the following for March/April next year:
YYC-DXB stop
DXP-PER stop
PER-XXX in Europe STOP
XXX-YYC

I have some ideas; trying to minimize the cost, time and maximize the experience in J for 2. Can overnight between stops.
I assume its doable within the "mpm" . All suggestions are welcomed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.